Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Umm the one he was supposedly baptised into at Etihad last year at its world convention. So he isn't in it or he is in it but celebrates a birthday ? I mean it's not an issue, people choose to do what they like and if that's Joho then that's how it is. Just interested to understand how he balances it

Maybe he's a Joho who chooses to have blood transfusions?

Maybe he's a Joho who chooses to have blood transfusions?

He'd actually be booted out of the church if he did

They are very strict about that kind of thing (like most conservative fundamentalist faiths)

Really hope Trent keeps the helmet, i reckon it makes him look a bit meaner, compared to his stupid wave fringe. Hopefully give him the confidence to crack into the contest harder for greater periods to :) Last week was the best i've seen him play in quite some time.

Did you take TB4? You should probably self-report.

Im an Australian

I only take TB4 if:

1) someone spikes my drink with it (thanks Capo)

2) someone spikes my steak with it while in NZ (thanks Pies)

3) someone spikes my shooting gallery vitamin injections (thanks Neil Craig)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im an Australian

I only take TB4 if:

1) someone spikes my drink with it (thanks Capo)

2) someone spikes my steak with it while in NZ (thanks Pies)

3) someone spikes my shooting gallery vitamin injections (thanks Neil Craig)
* this guy is good. Must have Tania as his lawyer.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the possibility of Trent improving in the future.
Do you think that his current form is as good as he is ever going to get now? Or do you think that he can improve perhaps even to the levels we hoped he would based on 2012?

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the possibility of Trent improving in the future.
Do you think that his current form is as good as he is ever going to get now? Or do you think that he can improve perhaps even to the levels we hoped he would based on 2012?

The problem is that he is a one man show in midfield, especially in the early parts of the season before Dusty had a more permanent role in there.
He's expected to win the ball, get clearances whilst still being effective on the outside.
He simply doesn't have the support with him and the big bodies around him to get back to that 2012 form.
Jackson and Tuck were HUGE for Cotchin's form and unfortunately we have never replaced those players.

IS that a loaded question as you get in trouble forthis explanation?
Cotchin will improve when our coach allows him to play to a game plan that suits his strengths as it did in 2012.
It's pretty simple. He's a victim of the game plan.
I would bank on him having a career year under another coach.

IS that a loaded question as you get in trouble forthis explanation?
Cotchin will improve when our coach allows him to play to a game plan that suits his strengths as it did in 2012.
It's pretty simple. He's a victim of the game plan.
I would bank on him having a career year under another coach.
true and as cotch is such a good guy and team player he wouldnt go and stray from his instructions, he had a ripper year, more consistent

I don't reckon his 2012 season was necessarily a flash in the pan so I'm hopeful he can get to similar levels again. Trent to me seems like a really smart football mind who's been forced to modify his style to both fit in with the gameplan but also to be seen as executing the coaches' instructions in his role as captain.

I'm hopeful that our revamped footy department with (hopefully) better assistant coaches (good start with Caracella) and personnel will mean the team has a more effective game style in 2017 and beyond - with the added extension that Trent's individual game benefits from better tutelage, coaching and mentoring that comes with all that.

Trent's disposal and tackle numbers haven't really been far off his 2012 season to be fair. I think he just needs to have the shackles removed and allowed to play his natural game style - or at least one that doesn't minimise his effectiveness.

Probably could say the same of someone like Riewoldt. Plays a role for the team but can also be utilised more effectively if allowed to play to his strengths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back