Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent's disposal and tackle numbers haven't really been far off his 2012 season to be fair. I think he just needs to have the shackles removed and allowed to play his natural game style - or at least one that doesn't minimise his effectiveness.

Probably could say the same of someone like Riewoldt. Plays a role for the team but can also be utilised more effectively if allowed to play to his strengths.
If he can hit the scoreboard 20+ times a year then he'll be back to his damaging best.

If he can hit the scoreboard 20+ times a year then he'll be back to his damaging best.

Was thinking that the other day. Let him rest at FF. Same with Dusty. And tell the team to kick it LONG to the square. None of the slow chip it sideways business.

Was thinking that the other day. Let him rest at FF. Same with Dusty. And tell the team to kick it LONG to the square. None of the slow chip it sideways business.
If we can add another established (or a player develops there over preseason) mid as well as prestia i think we will be able to do that more.

Trent's disposal and tackle numbers haven't really been far off his 2012 season to be fair. I think he just needs to have the shackles removed and allowed to play his natural game style - or at least one that doesn't minimise his effectiveness.
stats mean little though. his possessions on 2012 were accurate and damaging, and he was able to find space and evade players. his disposals these last few years have been hunt level inaccurate even when he has time and space, and are mostly just random high kicks that go 30m or shitty little sideways dinks. teams dont tag him anymore because he is rarely damaging, and when they do decide to tag him he is shut out completely.

stats mean little though. his possessions on 2012 were accurate and damaging, and he was able to find space and evade players. his disposals these last few years have been hunt level inaccurate even when he has time and space, and are mostly just random high kicks that go 30m or shitty little sideways dinks. teams dont tag him anymore because he is rarely damaging, and when they do decide to tag him he is shut out completely.
Teams still tag him. Often and regulrly. Rest of your post is pretty accurate

This is it ... possession wise he's dong the same, but he simply doesn't hurt teams. I like those words ... sideways dinks. It's exactly how he plays.

This is it ... possession wise he's dong the same, but he simply doesn't hurt teams. I like those words ... sideways dinks. It's exactly how he plays.
Maybe it has something to do with the role he plays. Continually at the bottom of packs getting the footy and then meeting a wall of players rather than sometimes receiving the footy on the outside in front of the congestion like he was in 2012 ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Trent isn't retrospectively awarded a Brownlow medal later this year, or an indication is given that he will receive it at next year's count, then I will in all seriousness no longer support the AFL.

I'm not interested in investing my time and money in a fake sport.

To a degree, I can understand the financial motivation behind the industry's embarassing and hypocritically soft stance on Essendon's doping violation.

But once the appeal is over, if Jobe is still guilty, he simply must be stripped of the Brownlow (will happen) and the medal must be retrospectively awarded (uncertain about happening right now).

The only reason to leave 2012 blank would be out of respect to the player who was convicted of a doping violation.

I can't accept this level of corruption if it eventuates.

Cotchin and Mitchell need to be awarded Brownlow medals for the AFL to retain their last shred of integrity.

I suspect this outcome is still uncertain because they want to avoid pre-empting Jobe's appeal in any way. I do expect Trent to be awarded his Brownlow later this year, and I suspect he already knows, but everyone is following the timeline of the script to reduce the damage to Essendon and Jobe's reputation.

Either way, Trent should be commended for the way he's handled it. A true good character.

Last edited:
Maybe it has something to do with the role he plays. Continually at the bottom of packs getting the footy and then meeting a wall of players rather than sometimes receiving the footy on the outside in front of the congestion like he was in 2012 ?
Half of his possessions are uncontested, yet still he just goes sideways, short or misses targets. He can barely kick 40m and is the worst shot for goal we have except for hampson. You cannot have your captain being the most unreliable kick on the team.

If Trent isn't retrospectively awarded a Brownlow medal later this year, or an indication is given that he will receive it at next year's count, then I will in all seriousness no longer support the AFL.

I'm not interested in investing my time and money in a fake sport.

To a degree, I can understand the financial motivation behind the industry's embarassing and hypocritically soft stance on Essendon's doping violation.

But once the appeal is over, if Jobe is still guilty, he simply must be stripped of the Brownlow (will happen) and the medal must be retrospectively awarded (uncertain about happening right now).

The only reason to leave 2012 blank would be out of respect to the player who was convicted of a doping violation.

I can't accept this level of corruption if it eventuates.

Cotchin and Mitchell need to be awarded Brownlow medals for the AFL to retain their last shred of integrity.

I suspect this outcome is still uncertain because they want to avoid pre-empting Jobe's appeal in any way. I do expect Trent to be awarded his Brownlow later this year, and I suspect he already knows, but everyone is following the timeline of the script to reduce the damage to Essendon and Jobe's reputation.

Either way, Trent should be commended for the way he's handled it. A true good character.

In the Olympics, the gold medal is stripped off the "drug user" and given to 2nd place [or next athlete that has not been caught/taken drugs ;-0 ]

Therefore the same stance must to be taken by the AFL

Half of his possessions are uncontested, yet still he just goes sideways, short or misses targets. He can barely kick 40m and is the worst shot for goal we have except for hampson. You cannot have your captain being the most unreliable kick on the team.
You seem to have missed the point I made about him receiving the footy in front of the congestion . He is receiving the footy these days when others dont know what to do with it , often well behind the congestion and after it has been held up.
He is still the person the forwards most prefer to receive the footy off. FACT

With Trent and his somewhat wayward kicking, I reckon it seems he is maybe caught in two different minds at times. Like he is caught between what he feels he should do and what the coaches want him to do.

When I've watched him this year in particular, it's almost like some of the time when he has a clean disposal without any immediate pressure he wants to play to his instincts and get it forward. But (maybe it's just me here) then he normally changes his initial plan and looks for a relatively low risk short kick either sideways or backwards - I put that down to Dimma's game plan of trying to retain the ball at all costs.

Given the severe beating he's copped from the media as well and the presumably low confidence of the team due to losing frequently, I'd argue it's also a degree of human nature in going for the less risky kicks - though when you kick with less confidence, mistakes are more likely to happen IMO.

If we can land Prestia and/or Mitchell, plus get in a really highly rated midfield and stoppages coach, I reckon Cotch would get closer towards his best. I don't think he is a natural pure inside mid (more a dual inside out type) but is playing that role in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back