Toast A Decade of Dimma 💝

Remove this Banner Ad

Toured Islay and the Western Isles in 2010 and got a text from my Melbourne based son when the Tiges won their first game under Dimma. 2010 is also the first year I started putting Tiges membership stickers on the back of my car. I've done it every year since and you have no idea of how much tailgating I endure with people trying to read the dates of those stickers. When I eventually decide to upgrade to a new car (which might be never) I plan to put a For Sale notice on it and park it somewhere on Bridge Road. Should add about $5,000 to the purchase price. Maybe Dimma might be interested in it for Mrs Hardwick.

I remember the videos with Dimma in the first few years where he’d discuss what he was teaching the players. For example, one video was discussing the perfect distance to stand away from an oppo player. What I particularly noted in some of those videos was how Dimma would sometimes discuss coaching mistakes he had made himself. Add that to his substantial change in 2017, I think Dimma’s best attribute is his awareness of his own fallibility and willingness to take on board criticism and make changes.

He was a pretty average tactical coach in his first few years but has come a long way. He clearly has other desirable attributes (such as his ability to make a team out of a group of individuals).

Biggest downside is his press conferences have become borefests. Not sure if that’s the boring questions (“will Rance play this year?”) or whether he just gives exactly the same answers every week.

Really the fact of Dimma’s longevity can be put down to a highly stable management team sticking to a plan.
He can be as boring as F#@#k for all I care. Would you rather an "entertaining" Scott or Lyons? It's like Cotchin being boring and bland in the media. He leaves the excitement for the playing field.
With regards more generally to Dimma, he has been an essential part of the mix. He's not a "messiah" coach like Clarkson. The turnaround owes as much to Gale, and Peggy and Balme. But in a way that's the point. He's a team man and it's never been all about him. That means that what he's built is sustainable and, whoever replaces him, will probably also be a success.

Can you meet up with him again very soon?
Worked in 17.

Would love to but not gunna happen unfortunately. Was about five games into the season and at a footy lunch for Tiges supporters put on by a service provider and he was putting up with all the dumb questions footy supporters ask like "why dont they practice goal kicking more" and he just answered all our questions patiently like he'd never been asked exactly the same questions before and cracked some jokes and made us laugh. I'd been to a different thing the week before where Easton Wood was talking about how after one particular game in 2016 the dogs started to believe they could go all the way. So I mentioned this to him and asked him where the playing group's level of belief was at that point. He said it builds on the back of outcomes from games without really saying. I was a full on deluded believer that we could do it at that point with a belief that was part founded on the few 2017 results so far and the rest based on desperate existential hope in the face of a dreaded sense of mortality after three elim failures and the disastrous 2016 season. At the end 16 I truly thought we'd not win another flag in my remaining lifetime.

In my deepest delusions I like to think a little bit of my belief rubbed off and he added it to what they already had going and added it to all the other bits that rubbed off other Tiges supporters and built on it along the way and they took it to the G that one day in September 17 and the rest is history.

I love Dimma.

He can be as boring as F#@#k for all I care. Would you rather an "entertaining" Scott or Lyons? It's like Cotchin being boring and bland in the media. He leaves the excitement for the playing field.
With regards more generally to Dimma, he has been an essential part of the mix. He's not a "messiah" coach like Clarkson. The turnaround owes as much to Gale, and Peggy and Balme. But in a way that's the point. He's a team man and it's never been all about him. That means that what he's built is sustainable and, whoever replaces him, will probably also be a success.

Well said and I'm pretty sure that Dimma is well aware of that. It should also be added that that in no way diminishes his success. Debt paid, money in the bank, excellent support structures, top-shelf recruiters, assistants etc - all this makes for a coach can simply concentrate at the job at hand. For that reason I won't bag out that likes of Wallace, Spud...at the way back to Barry Richardson. Poor ol' KB had to don the jumper for a Save Our Skins money-raising game around the time debt collectors were talked out of taking the premiership cups to cover a $50 debt and took the tea-room microwave oven instead. My god we were a mess. Had we been as secure and as settled as we are now who knows how well they might have gone?

But the fact is that Dimma delivered us a premiership and he may deliver even more. Not only that, according to many we are flag faves this year and when we are spoken about as a powerhouse we don't have to give the side-eye to work out whether they are serious or taking the piss. When we stumbled into finals in decades past we were treated as a curiosity, like some toothless, unshaven old member of the grog squad who had somehow staggered past security into the corporate box. But now no. We are a genuine powerhouse and with the foundations built to remain as such for years to come. No, Dimma did not do that that on his own, but he was an integral part of creating that and, for that reason - even if 2017 was his only flag with us - he will be a tiger great forever.

I reckon he has a sly sense of humour in those post match Coaches review...
He sure does. But I’m sure they used to be more interesting. Probably its hard to say something interesting when you’re winning every week! Go Tiges!!

It's been a great ride.
From the early days of consistent improvement and growing optimism, to that fateful Elim vs Carlton that changed everything for the worse for the next 3 years, only for Dimma to reinvent himself and the game plan that netted us our 11 premiership 1 year later.
There's still ups and downs in an environment that can't be perfected, but this season has shown us again that he's still the man for the job.

the us vs Adelaide thing just goes to show that in almost everything if you get along with your mates and care for them and enjoy what youre doing youll produce great results.

adelaide though they were skilled it seemed like they were too strict in uptight

dimma was a great part of that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to post on another forum many years a go until the endless negative comments about Dimma and relentless calls for his sacking drove me away. There are still many old school supporters out there who want to sack coaches at the first sign of failure. I'm so glad we are not that type of club anymore. Dimma is a fantastic coach but he has been allowed to be because of the people around him. Gale and Peggy have given him the assistant coaches to support his direction and challenge his game plan. In 2016 they cleared the decks around him and it was proven to work.

Dimma is our first coach to have the facilities and coaches to develop our squad. Gale fought for our own VFL side so Dimma could properly teach the young players our game plan each week so the transition to AFL level is far less daunting. Dimma was given the license to headhunt Blair Hartly (sp?) from Port to improve our recruitment. Now the club has a girls team.

Dimma is a fantastic coach who has done his job exceptionally with what he had at his disposal. Gale, Peggy, Balme, Leppa, Caracella, etc all supported him and helped create the environment that has enabled him and, through him, the team to be so successful.

So well done the club for finally getting on the same page, finally creating the support network around the coach and for them ignoring outside noise to back their man for all these years. Without all of that Dimma would have spent all his time trying to save his job rather than creating a premiership culture and team.

Congratulations Dimma and congratulations the whole club. We are a continuing success because of our off field team as much as our field one!

Don't be too hard on yourself. My guess is that there are 17 other coaches in the league who would think they could win a premiership if they had Dustin Martin on their list.

Seriously underplays the impact Dimma has had on Dusty. My guess is the vast majority of those other 17 would not have the faintest idea how to manage Dusty. Dimma drives the culture, they all love him and each other. He built that.
Congrats Dimma. Legend.

Seriously underplays the impact Dimma has had on Dusty. My guess is the vast majority of those other 17 would not have the faintest idea how to manage Dusty. Dimma drives the culture, they all love him and each other. He built that.
Congrats Dimma. Legend.

If anyone is under-rated, it might be Terry Wallace because the core of the side came to the club in his time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back