Preview AFL 1st Qualifying Final - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Elliot looked like a sluggard the last few weeks.

Elliot and Sinclair have both been very poor the last 6-7 weeks, however elliots main strength is his marking, where as sinclairs best attribute is speed. Because of this i think Sinclair will come in as his more suited to wet weather. I suspect they will both be passengers whoever is chosen

Paine and Dawes would struggle to stretch port adelaides defence. First year kid with a tiny engine (medium height) and dawes whos only 193 who cant mark or kick.

No goldsack will be a lose, our forward line would be better with him in instead of one of those 2, he puts on way better pressure and kicks more goals
Maybe so, but I think that is negated quite a bit by their loss of Guerra and Young. If we clamp down on Suckling we should be fine in that area imo.

Who clamps down on suckling with Goldsack out? Obviously Krak, Didak and Fasolo will play more attacking roles and I'm hoping that Blair goes to Mitchell.

Suckling, Birchall & Gibson need to trail behind their direct opponents, and enforced to dispose of the ball onto their non-preferred foot all night.

Young injured? Strange selection if not, unless he is notoriously poor in wet or windy conditions
Reports vary between a corked thigh or a strained calf, but he has definitely not been dropped, he's injured, and it's strange how there was no mention of it all week.

The Hawks also have Whitecross (corked thigh) and Gunston (ankle?) who struggled late against the Eagles, so if there was ever a good time to play the Hawks, it's this week.

heres hoping its not accurate tomorrow night. :)
Welcome my friend in Dawes, and as you say, if you can't be Dawesome then why not Daweful! Depending on his game tomorrow night maybe there will be a surge of interest in usernames based around Dawes. He will surely be our secret weapon in the finals. So long as he keeps out of Cloke's way and delivers something in the ruck I will be happy but only if we win the game. Somehow Paine seems unlikely to make the final 22 though maybe he features in some coming plan given Goldsack's absence.

Welcome my friend in Dawes, and as you say, if you can't be Dawesome then why not Daweful! Depending on his game tomorrow night maybe there will be a surge of interest in usernames based around Dawes. He will surely be our secret weapon in the finals. So long as he keeps out of Cloke's way and delivers something in the ruck I will be happy but only if we win the game. Somehow Paine seems unlikely to make the final 22 though maybe he features in some coming plan given Goldsack's absence.

I suspect the same.

I hope we win just to piss off Robert Walls:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/precise-hawks-to-cut-pies-to-shreds-20120906-25hec.html

That Walls article is a joke.
Just watch him change his tune if we get up tonight. He is a flog of the highest order, and I feel sick having read the article.

Back onto tonight, after all this talk and discussion and debate, it will all fall onto the shoulders of our boys who run out.

A lot of people are saying we will come out and blitz and then Hawks will reign us in. I actually think it will work in reverse. I reckon they are setting up to have a big first quarter like against the eagles, and then try to maintain it. Our boys need to have the confidence to know that they can claw their way back from a bad start. If we get blitzed quickly and then go into our shells, I will start to worry.

Carn the pies.

I for one would love all three big fellas to play. Paine at FF, Cloke as a true mobile CHF, and Dawes as the 3rd tall, relief ruck and general utility.

lets assume that Cloke gets 85 percent game time, Paine 75 percent, and Jolly 85 percent, then we have the capacity to play Dawes in each of thier roles for a total of 55 percent game time, maintaining the one ruck tow KPF structure about half the time, then for slightly less than half the time we can change it up with the 3 tall forwards be it Cloke, Paine and Dawes, or Cloke, Paine and Jolly.

We can even go small for short periods by letting Cloke run up the ground, leaving Paine or Dawes at deep FF and Jolly in the ruck with one of the talls on the bench.

We have at least 3 genuinely creative crumbers/ small forwards in Dids, Faz and Krak, and Beams, Swanny, Rusty and Blair are all goal kicking mids too.

I think our best chance to beat the Hawks is with 3 genuine tall defenders to stop Gunston, Buddy and Roughy, 3 genuine tall forwards to stretch Stratton, Gibbo and the Shoe Maker, and a philosophy of MANIC PRESSURE ALL OVER THE GROUND FOR FOUR QUARTERS.

GO PIES!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really like the side. Just about our best side named this year (Would probably swap Goldsack and Paine).

Depending on weather we might see a late change with Paine out for Sinclair/Elliott with either starting as the sub.

People mentioning Shaw as a forward is a good idea against the Hawks.

Tarrant gets the job on Buddy. Toovey gets the job on Cyril.

The loss of Young is big for the Hawks, his run and carry will be missed.

I could see us lining up like this (if there is a late change, which with the current weather people suspect):

B - Toovey Brown Tarrant
HB - Maxwell Reid O'Brien
C - Thomas Swan Wellingham
HF - Shaw Dawes Sidebottom
F - Krakouer Cloke Didak
R - Jolly Beams Pendlebury
INT - Blair Johnson Fasolo
SUB - Sinclair/Elliott

If we line up as selected, Paine plays deep as a marking target with a crumber nearby.

Cant wait for the game.

walls says that beams has faltered in the second half of the season, my god what a flog

Walls is just one giant testicle!

True :thumbsu: but I wish he was on you guys, he seems to have a curse on whoever he picks for the win. Hears to a good game without injury or suspensions tonight. Hope to see you guys again later in the year, regardless of result.

Wonder how people will think our backline will line up against theirs? thought?
Mine would be:

Toovey vs Rioli: in recent times we have seen Harry run around on him but would love to see Tooves get the job on him as I think he has had a fantastic year.

Brown vs Franklin: would rather see Taz on him but don't think it will happen. Brown definitely has the ability to go with him, but if he drops his bundle early we will need to see a change. That's the beauty about having 3 good backman in the side.

Tarrant vs Gunston: Gunston has really been playing well in recent weeks and I would love to see the veteran take him down a peg!

O'Brien vs Bruest: I think that Bruest really doesn't get much attention from other teams and he really should. He isn't the greatest player around but teams don't seem to pay much attention to him. If O'Brien plays on him i don't think he will have much Affect on the game

Reid vs Roughhead/Hale: Hawthorn have great ability with these 2, both can play forward or ruck. But I expect Reid to hold their influence while they are up forward. Reidy's rebounding from defensive 50 is a massive up for us. If he is doing this then we are playing a lot better football.

Maxwell vs Sheils/Whitecross: These 2 will play through Maxwell and the midfield and try to keep Maxy's influence down. If Maxy can get free he will help us nullify the Hawks potent forward line and thus taking us a long way to winning.

i dont understand how gibson and clangermakers can stop the power forwards in the league, they just seem ttoo small.
Gibsons a great defender but how the **** does he go size and size with cloke and hawkins and petrie????

The way our defence works this year, we rely on our midfield putting sufficient pressure on the ball carrier meaning most of our opposition i50's are coming in long and high. All of our defenders will peel off and head for the contest, creating a big pack. Generally we do enough to spoil and once the ball hits the deck or we create a stoppage, we have a massive advantage to send the ball back out the other way. Gibson and Shoe whilst undersized, are both great users of the ball and provide rebound. Geelong have been the only team to be able to isolate one or the other, and if it is a pure 1 on 1 with shoe and Cloke, shoe is just much to small to be able to stop him. You will rarely see our backline spread out unless we turn the ball over in the corridor, which we generally don't do all to often. Even in our later game this year, all the credit went to shoe for stopping Cloke, but every contest Cloke was contesting against Shoe + 1 or 2 others.

Tarrant has lost a bit of pace, so he won't be able to go with Buddy. I like Brown for that job, and I'm fairly sure he's had a couple of good games against Buddy in previous years, albeit with help from Maxy and Harry.

I'd put Toovey on Rioli and leave Harry free to break the lines and give us run from the back.

Tarrant has lost a bit of pace, so he won't be able to go with Buddy. I like Brown for that job, and I'm fairly sure he's had a couple of good games against Buddy in previous years, albeit with help from Maxy and Harry.

I'd put Toovey on Rioli and leave Harry free to break the lines and give us run from the back.
yeah same here, Mitch Brown did well on Buddy last week bar the first quarter, he kicked 4 goals in the first and ended up with 4 goals. So i you can expect Nathan (who is the better brother) to not do too bad on Buddy.

Well, I'm about to leave work. Friday drinks,then dinner, then G.

Was talking with a dawks supporter at work and talking about making a bet with her. She said 'money is so boring, let's bet something else...' and I looked at her and said 'well...'

FFS if I wasn't married, definitely blowie/sex bet. She's prime too*.

Who cares?!? GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(*and would be up for it)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back