Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

However, if we’re talking borderline 50s then the Sidebottom one is also that.
As easy a 50 you will ever get. Nothing borderline about it. The 50 earlier against Berry for a bump was borderline.

The Sidebottom one was 50 everyday of the week. And nearly everyone calling the game agreed.

For the record I think it was the right call.

However you regularly see players dragged down in the act of marking in a clear attempt to hold up play and not get called for 50m. Especially considering how lenient the umpiring tends to be in the dying stages of a final I think it was a 50/50 call as to whether that would be paid.

Come on, you’re not suggesting that thousands of supporters of the club that stands to benefit from a call, appealing for said call suggests that it is necessarily the correct call?

Are we gonna start paying free kicks every time they call ball?
Disingenuous. When ten thousand people stand as one and gesture as one there is a fair chance the decision is an obvious one. In what possible way was it "line ball!" To suggest it was on a par with the Markov fifty makes any credibility you may have had, vanish.

How was that a free for Murphy? Had he ******* body lined the ball he wouldn’t be knocked out. That is not a free, he went the man not the ball and unfortunately copped a hit.
Insanity caused by blind hatred is the only explanation for your inane comment. When two players attack the ball and in the act of bending to pick it up one player's shoulder smashes into the jaw of his opponent-that is a free kick since Adam was a boy. How can you be so blinkered?

Turning this one off, umps looking after the Victorian side
Says the Swans supporter whose player punched his opponent in the guts 100 metres off the ball. All caught on video but is cleared to play in the grand final. Yes, the AFL really looks after the Victorians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, every team has bad decisions go against them by the umpires. The last 5 minutes of that GF it was against The Lions, if it were the other way round I would have called it out. I wasn't referencing the entire game, just the climax. And any bias I had it was towards Collingwood for my tip and thinking they should have won by far more. What's the issue with a person having a perspective on the match? I'm suppose to claim every umpire decision was correct that went towards Collingwood?
Goals in the first and 3rd quarters are worth 6 points all the same so you can’t claim the dodgy goals Brisbane got are irrelevant.

And…the advantage rule was correct. Bailey receives the ball, the whistle blows, he takes three steps and kicks it forward as they were desperate to launch it forward. Brisbane played on at every opportunity in that period of play. Daniher didn’t even pause to kick the goal as they knew they were running out of time. The rule isn’t “advantage is ruled by the player unless they make a stupid decision”…it’s up to the player to make the decision, which he did then Brisbane made a decision to blame that for their loss, rather than their softness around the contest all day.

Insanity caused by blind hatred is the only explanation for your inane comment. When two players attack the ball and in the act of bending to pick it up one player's shoulder smashes into the jaw of his opponent-that is a free kick since Adam was a boy. How can you be so blinkered?
They're both contesting the footy and unfortunately Murphy got knocked out. Cripps was in the act of receiving the ball when he knocked out Mayne (who similarly contested the player, not the ball) with no free kick against. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples throughout seasons gone by that have been paid high and plenty that have not. Probably is a 50/50 call.

Did it matter in the grand scheme of things? Obviously not. Was I fired up when I posted it, because it was a dramatic moment in a big final? For sure.

Ultimately even if it wasn't a free there's no guarantee the Lions score from there and your side was disadvantaged by losing one of your key defenders and they (The Lions) still didn't get the job done.

He will be unemployed within the next 12 months so that is probably a good thing for him.
Of course, every team has bad decisions go against them by the umpires. The last 5 minutes of that GF it was against The Lions, if it were the other way round I would have called it out. I wasn't referencing the entire game, just the climax. And any bias I had it was towards Collingwood for my tip and thinking they should have won by far more. What's the issue with a person having a perspective on the match? I'm suppose to claim every umpire decision was correct that went towards Collingwood?
If you get a chance to watch a replay have a look at about 2.30 left on the clock. Kinda around the “ climax” of a match. Pies up by 10. Ball kicked deep into our forward line. Coleman tackled, throws his head back, not even close to a high tackle, free,next kick another soft free to Neale for holding of the ball when Mccluggage who actually had the ball should have been pinged for incorrect disposal, next play Mc’cluggage does a wayne Harmes, kicks inboard to Daniher, goal. Game back to 4 points. 3 poor decisions in a row to bring the Lions right back into it. But go and focus on that non advantage after that when the game should have been locked down.

If you get a chance to watch a replay have a look at about 2.30 left on the clock. Kinda around the “ climax” of a match. Pies up by 10. Ball kicked deep into our forward line. Coleman tackled, throws his head back, not even close to a high tackle, free,next kick another soft free to Neale for holding of the ball when Mccluggage who actually had the ball should have been pinged for incorrect disposal, next play Mc’cluggage does a wayne Harmes, kicks inboard to Daniher, goal. Game back to 4 points. 3 poor decisions in a row to bring the Lions right back into it. But go and focus on that non advantage after that when the game should have been locked down.
Those clowns don't care about the facts.

You know Wayne Harmes was in right?

Brilliant game of Footy. One of the best I've seen and one of the best Grannys ever. Yes it should have been paid a free at the end. Horrible non call. It happens though. Look at the 2018 Grand Final where Rioli was blocking off a Pie player and Sheed played on before nailing the match winning goal.

Up the Pies!!!!

Brilliant game of Footy. One of the best I've seen and one of the best Grannys ever. Yes it should have been paid a free at the end. Horrible non call. It happens though. Look at the 2018 Grand Final where Rioli was blocking off a Pie player and Sheed played on before nailing the match winning goal.

Up the Pies!!!!
When I met Bruz I said to him “… that was a block hey” and his eyes were popping out of his head, he’s like “yes campaigner!!! And he played on!” Hahahahaha

He’s a great bloke, I’m very happy to see him win one.

Is it time for something to be done about the 30 second set shot rule? Teams are clearly using it to kill time where they take their 30 seconds for an improbable shot and then kick sideways. McRae pointed to specifically training the players on this and tbh it’s something I really don’t like.

Is it time for something to be done about the 30 second set shot rule? Teams are clearly using it to kill time where they take their 30 seconds for an improbable shot and then kick sideways. McRae pointed to specifically training the players on this and tbh it’s something I really don’t like.
It’s smart but I dislike it too. If you elect to take a shot and you don’t show intention to at least move it forward you should be penalised. I say move it forward, as if you’ve taken a mark in that field position you shouldn’t be penalised for then moving it forward for a better option, if you were then opposition would have no reason to man up and could setup complex field position in the event a goal was not scored.. just would be a nightmare to officiate.

Says the Swans supporter whose player punched his opponent in the guts 100 metres off the ball. All caught on video but is cleared to play in the grand final. Yes, the AFL really looks after the Victorians.
Don’t forget Andrew Dunkley gouging James Hird’s face on the bottom of a pack until he had to go off with the blood rule. Cleared to play in the GF

Yes, it's a clear problem. But like most problems in the AFL, such as continuing to bounce the ball even when it f*cks up the opening of a GF making the the sport a complete laughing stock, nothing will be done.

Maybe in another 170 years the game will begin to resemble a professional sport with consistent, coherent rules. Until then we will continue to watch something that looks like something that only made sense to a couple of 1850s drunks in a sheep paddock.

It’s a borderline call.

Bailey is tracking Quaynor, and is moving away from Cox.

However he’s not exactly sprinting to follow him. I actually think Bailey knew exactly what he was doing and waiting for the moment to pounce.

I’m not 100% sure, but on the audio it sounds to me like the umpire instructing Bailey to stay out is the one boundary side, while the one who calls play on is towards the middle of the ground. I’m not sure if that made any difference.

However, if we’re talking borderline 50s then the Sidebottom one is also that.

Personally I don’t think there were that many obvious umpire errors. I think it was a well umpired game and the Pies were deserving premiers.
Is he outside the protective area. yes or no ?

Back