Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 1 - Richmond v Carlton Thurs March 16th 7:20pm EST (MCG) - Tipping Comp Now Open!

Who will win and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 93 37.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 72 29.1%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin's the GOAT.
Near enough.

He said that Leigh Matthews said Martin is the only player that he isn't insulted being compared to.

So rational people take that as Matthews saying Martin is the closest player to him in relation to playing style, whilst Richmond supporters will interpret that as 'Matthews is the GOAT and he reckons Martin's the only player who is anywhere near as good as him'.

History of Round 1 matches between Carlton and Richmond.

First time was in 1921 which Carlton won. The next one was 10 years later in 1931 which Richmond won.

Carlton greatest winning streak is 4 while Richmond winning streak is 8.

Total Games 23
Carlton won 10
Richmond won 12
1 draw

Carlton (1921, 1943, 1981, 1983, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2022).

Richmond (1931, 1966, 1978, 2008, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021).

Draw (1960)

So 2024 will be the 25th time of this quite ordinar…. … err great event !

Walsh back in full training and pushing to be fit for round 1. If he somehow plays I reckon our midfield comfortably gets the job done.
Surely they don't risk him. Didn't Voss say like last week that the return timeline won't change? Cripps, Walsh, Kennnedy, Cerra, Hewett comfortably over Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Martin, Bolton you reckon? :think:

Surely they don't risk him. Didn't Voss say like last week that the return timeline won't change? Cripps, Walsh, Kennnedy, Cerra, Hewett comfortably over Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Martin, Bolton you reckon? :think:
Cripps and Walsh a fair bit better through the middle than any on that list unless Dusty has mythically returned to 2017 form. Hewett and Kennedy pretty much equal to Taranto and Hopper in terms of contested ball winning. Cerra not as good as Prestia but still a quality player.

If Walsh was playing you wouldn't really have any runners in that group who could go with him so I'd say Carlton comfortably win the midfield battle. Without him its fairly even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps and Walsh a fair bit better through the middle than any on that list unless Dusty has mythically returned to 2017 form. Hewett and Kennedy pretty much equal to Taranto and Hopper in terms of contested ball winning. Cerra not as good as Prestia but still a quality player.

If Walsh was playing you wouldn't really have any runners in that group who could go with him so I'd say Carlton comfortably win the midfield battle. Without him its fairly even.
LOL. Good chat.

LOL. Good chat.
The stats back it up. Just because you don't rate them doesn't mean they don't get the job done. Hewett by nearly every metric was a considerably better player than TT last year and the same with Kennedy > Hopper. I've put them on equal footing because I'm assuming they'll have an increase in output this year being in a better system at Richmond.

The stats back it up. Just because you don't rate them doesn't mean they don't get the job done. Hewett by nearly every metric was a considerably better player than TT last year and the same with Kennedy > Hopper. I've put them on equal footing because I'm assuming they'll have an increase in output this year being in a better system at Richmond.
And Bolton? You've conveniently left him out completely.

Hopper and Taranto both had injury riddled years also. Plus there's more to being a midfielder than contested possessions. Taranto is a bnf winner in a grand final year. And we know TT has been a victim of gws stacked inside midfield.

Our midfield was going pretty well last year against most of those guys until prestia got injured. Now add Taranto and Hopper.....

Last edited:
And Bolton? You've conveniently left him out completely.

Hopper and Taranto both had injury riddled years also. Plus there's more to being a midfielder than contested possessions. Taranto is a bnf winner in a grand final year. And we know TT has been a victim of gws stacked inside midfield.

Our midfield was going pretty well last year against most of those guys until prestia got injured. Now add Taranto and Hopper.....
Bolton, I didn't mention because I wouldn't think he'll be playing as much midfield time this year as years prior. In any case, Walsh is still a far better midfielder than him. Bolton far better forward of centre but completely different players.

Taranto has declined since those years due to injury, that's true. That is why I mentioned last year Hewett was considerably better than him, yet I've still put them as on equal footing as I'm a believer in Taranto having an uptick in performance at Richmond with some continuity. Kennedy and Hopper cancel each other out, neither are A graders. Just hard as nails ball winners.

I'm sure the Tigs fans will squeal about also having Cotchin and Baker and Short etc... They won't be seeing many minutes if ur main quartet is Taranto, Hopper, Prestia and Bolton/Dusty. They'll be soaking up most of the CBA's this year.

The way I see it:

Cripps > Dusty 2023
Walsh > Bolton
Hewett = Taranto
Kennedy = Hopper
Cerra < Prestia

Take out Walsh and it's pretty much even.

Bolton, I didn't mention because I wouldn't think he'll be playing as much midfield time this year as years prior. In any case, Walsh is still a far better midfielder than him. Bolton far better forward of centre but completely different players.

Taranto has declined since those years due to injury, that's true. That is why I mentioned last year Hewett was considerably better than him, yet I've still put them as on equal footing as I'm a believer in Taranto having an uptick in performance at Richmond with some continuity. Kennedy and Hopper cancel each other out, neither are A graders. Just hard as nails ball winners.

I'm sure the Tigs fans will squeal about also having Cotchin and Baker and Short etc... They won't be seeing many minutes if ur main quartet is Taranto, Hopper, Prestia and Bolton/Dusty. They'll be soaking up most of the CBA's this year.

The way I see it:

Cripps > Dusty 2023
Walsh > Bolton
Hewett = Taranto
Kennedy = Hopper
Cerra < Prestia

Hewett and Kennedy as good as Taranto and Hopper??!!! This is gonna end in tears

The way I see it:

Cripps > Dusty 2023
Walsh > Bolton
Hewett = Taranto
Kennedy = Hopper
Cerra < Prestia

I'll give you cripps over 2023 dusty but who knows, early indications are good for us. Bolton was AA last year and had over 80 scoring shots. Different players as you said, yes, but better? Nah. Hopper when fit is better than Kennedy. He made the AA squad last time he had a full season. Hewett = Taranto?! 😆

Hewett and Kennedy as good as Taranto and Hopper??!!! This is gonna end in tears
Go look at the stats and tell me how wrong I am please. Both just don't get mentioned much because Cripps and Walsh steal the spotlight. If that's proven wrong in 2023 good for TT and Hopper. It would mean they'd have improved significantly or gotten their bodies right. For now though, both have had an ordinary last couple of years.

I'll give you cripps over 2023 dusty but who knows, early indications are good for us. Bolton was AA last year and had over 80 scoring shots. Different players as you said, yes, but better? Nah. Hopper when fit is better than Kennedy. He made the AA squad last time he had a full season. Hewett = Taranto?! 😆
I think Bolton is a fantastic player and arguably as good as Cripps overall as a player... But not as a pure midfielder - Which is what we're discussing. If we're talking about winning the clearance battle and contested ball he's not really in the same class as the best mids in the comp.

Go look at the stats and tell me how wrong I am please. Both just don't get mentioned much because Cripps and Walsh steal the spotlight.
Taranto is super fit and won a B and F for a GF side in his 3rd year, and stood up in the GF unlike his teammates, Hewett hasn't got a resume in that ball park.

And no one outside Carlton is going to agree that Kennedy is a match for Hopper, that's fantasy.

Stats are great but Taranto and Hopper have been in the big time, playing well in finals, there's no comparison.

Taranto and Hopper were no issue for Hewett and Kennedy in 2022. Twice. That's not going to change because they're wearing different colours.

Taranto is super fit and won a B and F for a GF side in his 3rd year, and stood up in the GF unlike his teammates, Hewett hasn't got a resume in that ball park.

And no one outside Carlton is going to agree that Kennedy is a match for Hopper, that's fantasy.

Stats are great but Taranto and Hopper have been in the big time, playing well in finals, there's no comparison.
So stats don't back up your opinion, but an award given out 4 years ago does... Good to know.

Not going to find a soul saying Taranto wasn't a gun early on, especially in 2019... but the last few years he's been average and his kicking is still poor. If Hopper and he can get back to that form thats great... But last time we saw them they were just run of the mill inside midfielders tiers below the best in the competition. I rate Prestia higher than either over the last couple of years even with all the games he's missed due to injuries.

Back