Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 3 - Lions v Pies Thurs March 28th 7:30pm AEDT (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it all comes down to whether the extra week off helps or hinders Brisbane. Either it interrupts their momentum and they're left flat footed and the Pies roll them, or they'll have the legs to run over the Pies. Or there's a bit of both. Danger game for Brisbane even if they're favourites, need to play with some mongrel. They're vulnerable. If Collingwood beat them at the Gabba, it will give them confidence to start winning and square the ledger. Season over if either loses, huge for both.
Not sure about that because they're form has been pretty ordinary and have been overran in both games. I would imagine a week's break should help them, they shouldn't be running out if legs.
If Pies, go 0-4 they're no longer a contender this season, no one has won the flag being 0-3 let alone 0-4.
Can they make finals? that's even debatable if they lose this match? it's possible records are made to be broken but I don't think they come back from here if they lose this game the wind will be out of sails.
Sydney started 2017 0-6 and missed the 4 by 1 game. I think losing will make it hard to make the 4, but I still think they make the 8.

Probably the most intriguing game for neutrals so far this season. Easter Thursday GF replay with 0-3 (2 losses at Gabba) or 0-4 at stake. Absolutely no where to hide for the loser. It’s not quite GF stakes, but a thriller here would be very intense.

Really looking forward to the game tonight. It's a total win-win.

If Brisbane win, Pies hangover continues.

If Pies win, which is hugely preferable, it signals the downfall of Brisbane, to languish in the outer 8 for the beginning of many years.

If Pies win, which is hugely preferable, it signals the downfall of Brisbane, to languish in the outer 8 for the beginning of many years.
Brisbane have a young team with some very talented young players. I don't think they will be languishing outside the 8... might have a year or so where they are off, but they aren't exactly on the verge of a rebuild.

Brisbane have a young team with some very talented young players. I don't think they will be languishing outside the 8... might have a year or so where they are off, but they aren't exactly on the verge of a rebuild.
Every team has talented youth. The youngest player in Brisbanes bests against Fremantle was 24yo. They are in trouble.

Still have young Ashcroft to return as well as little bro next year. Plus a bunch of very talented academy kids in the next couple of years. I think we have an off year perhaps then rebound in '25 and beyond

It won't be many years we have two top 10 potential draftees the year

Every team has talented youth. The youngest player in Brisbanes bests against Fremantle was 24yo. They are in trouble.
Collingwood ave 1 year per player older then us tonight. That's with sidey out. Our oldest out with a quick glance is Mckenna? I could be wrong on that. Maybe Gardiner. We are not that old at all. I think 7th oldest list on average in the comp. This may not be our year. Tonight may not be our night. But I highly doubt we are going to fall off a cliff if we lose tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm picking up the vibe that the lions are your second team, so i will try to assuage you from your concerns.

i'm often a glass half-full supporter. But i struggle to see the 'outside 8 for many years' as written in the stars.

It's always fraught trying to say where sides will be in future years but i'll try, adding 3 years to each player:

Should still be guns: Dunkley, McCluggage, Aschroft, Coleman, Andrews

Too early to call but very early picks and a lot of promise: Ashcroft Junior, Fletcher (that bloke you tried to pinch for us ha)

High potential but yet to reach potential: Bailey, Rayner, Wilmot, Payne (who you tried to pinch from us also)

Solid best 22 players (who might improve): Hipwood, Ah Chee, McKenna

Even assume Zorko, Neale, Daniher, Cameron, McCarthy, Doedee, Gardiner, Lester and others are write offs through age, it's still not a bad list of talent, barring major injuries (no more knees please!) or an exodus.

Cameron and Daniher loom as very hard to replace and i think it looks like this year we can't contend, and 25/26 could be years in which Cameron, Neale, Daniher going downhill means we slip down the ladder. Our forward line in particular could be really hit by Daniher, McCarthy and Cameron being basically the same age.

There is no guarantee we can stay contenders - as in actually capable of winning a flag - but if the list is well-managed from here we shouldn't return to those dark days you allude to.

I hear a lot of commentary into which team is under most pressure tonight.
Surely it must be Brisbane, as Collingwood have the flag and Brizzy have missed out for 20 years.

Thankfully Fly got us the flag we needed, as I think there may be a break until the next one, so the pressure would have been enormous.

Brisbane however could become the St Kilda of the late 2000s.
Had the team but couldn't get it done.

That being said, Brisbane have a few years left in them yet, even if it may not be this year.

Back