AFL Media is a cesspool of vic bias

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood have the higher fan base, and yet they barely talked about that game since Collingwood lost. Had they won it likely would have featured more.
True but I guess my point is you can't hold them to account for promoting the game when that's simply not their strategic objective.

In the same way Mason Cox who wouldn't objectively wouldn't be in top 500 players league, gets any profile is because he plays for Collingwood

True but I guess my point is you can't hold them to account for promoting the game when that's simply not their strategic objective.

In the same way Mason Cox who wouldn't objectively wouldn't be in top 500 players league, gets any profile is because he plays for Collingwood
Pies sell papers....or clicks i guess
Dons have the same thing about them. We've been irrelevant for over 20 years. Yet our coverage is massive, particularly in the off-season.

I assume the Cats in the Geelong media have the same coverage as you'd see of the Crows/Port in SA and Eagles/Freo in WA.
QLD and NSW sides are likely battling NRL for coverage.

Issue i see is the AFL media is so predominantly Vic based and vic consumed, that it heavily focuses on vic clubs. And that drives the cycle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last draft period there was a Vic journo who pretty much let the cat out the bag.

The comment was "Well we all know there isnt much love for the Eagles in these parts but after they finished bottom and the year they just had it isnt right that their 2nd pick 19 has been pushed out to 30."

when they were good?

Didnt stop the AFL gifting the Blues the first game when they were crap. So being good wasnt a prerequisit, being a Vic club the media would hype up was the driver.

The fact the AFL just made two Vic sides play after a 5 and 6 day break when 10 other sides havent played a game yet says plenty.

Is that good for player health welfare and rehab? No.

Do the Vics and Vic media overhype the big Vic sides? Yes.

Would the bias Vic media scream and shout if the traditional Vic teams dont play Thurs night round 1? Yes they would.

Unfortunaltely the media these days creates news instead of just reporting it. They peddle their agendas openly.

Last edited:
Not as annoying as the AFL cynically abusing the footy-starved fan's extra interest in the opening round and hijacking it for home games for all four NSW/QLD franchises.

Vicbias? My arse...

They take a big crap in the faces of the millions of Victorian footy fans make up >50% majority of the AFL audience.

What state did all the away teams come from?

Four games with home teams playing four teams from where?

Was WA represented? SA?

No. Only teams from one other state were included, Victoria. And then two of those teams playerd again in prime time 5 days later. Hmmmmmm.

Now round 0 it wasnt to sell tickets as the grounds were so small you dont need big Vic sides to fill the stadiums.

So open the other eye buddy, its pretty obvious who the AFL teachers pets are and those who are not.

Last draft period there was a Vic journo who pretty much let the cat out the bag.

The comment was "Well we all know there isnt much love for the Eagles in these parts but after they finished bottom and the year they just had it isnt right that their 2nd pick 19 has been pushed out to 30."

I don't get the issue. If we don't care about Western Australia, why would we report on WA clubs?

Don't they just favour their reportage on teams with highest fan base?

I mean it's a commercial world

In that case they would spend rather a lot of time covering Sydney, eagles and crows over north, dogs, st k.

Reality is non big4 Vic clubs don't get a lot of press
Right so it’s not how many fans you have.

It’s how many fans you have and whether or not your club is from Victoria.

*Looks at thread title

*Looks back at you
IMG_8541.jpeg

I don't understand your argument

Best way for WA and SA clubs to get more coverage is to get bigger populations.

NSW and QLD don’t Aussie Rules as their dominant sport.

Vic is the biggest market, so gets the most coverage.

Bit like why Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and man city get the most coverage in the premier league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back