Review AFL R3 vs Adelaide @Metricon 1:05pm Sunday 21st June

Remove this Banner Ad

I have swung slightly, I think we will be seeing Holman and Fiorini miss out.

Lemmens had a good game, and is capable of putting on the pressure Holman does. He also provides a good amount of pace, which Stuey seems to be craving at the moment.
I re-watched the game. In my opinion Holman had a far better game than Macpherson. Lemmens was great, involved in probably 5-6 goals, great speed, pressure.
Fiorini started slowly but was getting better as game progressed. Still need more games under his belt coming from groin surgery. Swallow replacing Fiorini seems fair, similar roles.

It's Fiorini and Macpherson :)

Last edited:
Zero chance Lemmens gets dropped, was very influential IMO.
Think Ellis' game can replace what Fiorini does.

If Fiorini misses for Cory Ellis or Flanders that’s bull dust.

he is one of our top 2 midfielders yet he is playing half back or back pocket.

you can’t play him back there for one game then push him out.

poor Will Brodie almost best on last week in the scratch match and looks like 4 guys come into the seniors this week ahead of him.
So much for you perform you get a game.
Including one guy with a crook calf..

Absolutely no chance Corey Ellis comes in. Flanders probably misses again as well. Wright and Corbett from reports had good games and they didn't go their way to the emergency list either.

B.Ellis is a good pick if fit, Dew wants pace and dash and Ellis has that in spades against a pretty slow Crows outfit. Brodie is unlucky because his role is being filled by Greenwood, Rowell and Swallow in the guts. When the inevitable injuries hit, he will get a chance.

Fiorini is an interesting case. Accumulates the ball easily, but isn't very damaging with it in hand. There will be some unlucky blokes that miss out this weekend.

If Fiorini misses for Cory Ellis or Flanders that’s bull dust.

he is one of our top 2 midfielders yet he is playing half back or back pocket.

you can’t play him back there for one game then push him out.

poor Will Brodie almost best on last week in the scratch match and looks like 4 guys come into the seniors this week ahead of him.
So much for you perform you get a game.
Including one guy with a crook calf..
Swallow replaces Fiorini everyday of the week. Ellis replace either Lemmens, DMac or Holman with Anderson and Swallow to rotate forward.
Fiorini us going to see a lot of players go past him this year unless he cleans up his ball use and speed with which he makes decisions. He is to slow to play outside mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fiorini is in the leadership group. He's not getting dropped.

It'll be Holman for Swallow and Ellis for likely Macpherson (As much as I dislike this)

Yeah, I think MacPherson will almost definitely get dropped. 79 metres gained is incredibly low for a midfielder, and he was quiet in round one as well. Real question is, is it Holman or Fiorini who gets dropped. Fiorini's possessions were mostly uncontested, but he used it well at 81% efficiency (even though they were not really damaging). But then again, he only had one tackle for the game. Holman's game doesn't look that impressive on the stats sheets either, but he was the side's 7th best player according to the AFL Player ratings, so I think he's probably doing a lot of good things you don't really see unless you're a coach. Plus he's probably Dew's favourite, and don't think he's ever not been selected when available. I think it'll depend on team balance and who players where. If MacPherson is out, Holman will probably be needed up forward, but Swallow has been playing a lot more forward this season, so he could cover that (despite being named onball), and Fiorini is the more versatile of the two, so that could save him. But who knows, Ellis may not pass his fitness test this week and might be a late out, so we'll see.

Also, no chance Corey Ellis or Flanders come in. After a win like that (where no one played terribly), there's nothing they could've done that would've been impressive enough, playing in a scratch match. Even if some players did dominate, they would need to do it consistently over at least a couple of weeks before being considered. Swallow and Ellis are two of the very few exceptions, since they're both experienced players who are very clearly in the best 18.

Any way we look at it, Whoever gets dropped its stiff

But it's a good problem to have this kind of depth were we don't want to be dropping players but the talent level we've got incoming is a no brainier inclusion

Any way we look at it, Whoever gets dropped its stiff

But it's a good problem to have this kind of depth were we don't want to be dropping players but the talent level we've got incoming is a no brainier inclusion
Enjoy the process.

Not dropping Fiorini because he's in the leadership group doesn't really matter when the Co-Captain is coming back in

Again, Darce didn't look to play any mid minutes that I saw. Looked like he played fulltime small forward. Meters gained not going to be that high.
Well if you look at his possession heatmap, half of his possessions were on the wing (3 of them towards the back half too), and also had two clearances for the game (one centre). So it does look like he did play some midfield. But even then, even if he did play mostly forward, he should've had more than two tackles (and neither of those tackles were inside 50) and one scoring shot. And his metres gained was still pretty low, for any player really (unless you're a key position player, or deep forward pocket who doesn't spend any time in the midfield). I like the kid, but his numbers are well down in pretty much all areas, and if you judge his game as a forward, it's just as bad. I would love to see him keep his spot (as I prefer him over the other players in question), but you can't argue with the numbers.

But yeah, this is a great problem to have. Nice to see most of the list is healthy and playing well.

Again, Darce didn't look to play any mid minutes that I saw. Looked like he played fulltime small forward. Meters gained not going to be that high.
I think we hope for Darcy as a small forward because he looks like one, but tbh he doesn't really scare the opposition
I watched Rankine vs Geelong at Metricon Marsh series and you could see the fear in the veteran Geelong defenders eyes when he went near the ball
He does accumulate in the middle and when the cupboard was bare last year stepped up and won our hearts for doing it but he isn't displacing any of our mids when they're fit
So he's not ahead of Secko,Holman, Rankine, Flanders or even Lemmens as a small forward and the list of mids in front of him runs to about 8 now
Unfortunately I reckon he's going to need injuries to force his way back in
I just can't see Fiorini being dropped.
I reckon Touk goes before him and that won't be happening anytime soon
I think the bench comes down to Holman or Lemmens
They both bring a bit of dog to the fight and either would be stiff

For me its Lemmens and Darce simply because I think Dew likes Nick in the team

I think we hope for Darcy as a small forward because he looks like one, but tbh he doesn't really scare the opposition
I watched Rankine vs Geelong at Metricon Marsh series and you could see the fear in the veteran Geelong defenders eyes when he went near the ball
He does accumulate in the middle and when the cupboard was bare last year stepped up and won our hearts for doing it but he isn't displacing any of our mids when they're fit
So he's not ahead of Secko,Holman, Rankine, Flanders or even Lemmens as a small forward and the list of mids in front of him runs to about 8 now
Unfortunately I reckon he's going to need injuries to force his way back in
I just can't see Fiorini being dropped.
I reckon Touk goes before him and that won't be happening anytime soon
I think the bench comes down to Holman or Lemmens
They both bring a bit of dog to the fight and either would be stiff

For me its Lemmens and Darce simply because I think Dew likes Nick in the team

I woudn't go that far. I think he's in the best 22, who plays mainly on the wing/high half forward with stints in the middle. I think when everyone's in form, he's better than Fiorini, Lemmens, Powell and Ainsworth; but right now he just seems to be out of form and those other players are. I hope he can find that form again. That's the way I see it anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back