Game Day AFL Round 18 - Matchday Discussion North Melbourne@Collingwood(MCG – 1:45PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many pundits at the beginning of the season would’ve picked this matchup to be a top eight clash. However, both these sides have proved everyone wrong, and managed to be the surprise packet teams of this season. This match is crucial for both teams. For Collingwood, a win is needed here to keep in touch with the top four. For North, a win is needed to keep in touch with the top eight.

Both these teams hit a hurdle last week, failing to win against higher quality opposition. For North Melbourne, they had a chance to beat Sydney, but capitulated in the last quarter to give them a heartbreaking loss. For Collingwood, they stumbled against West Coast. Last time these two met, Collingwood were too good, putting on a wire to wire performance.

Collingwood

Coming into the game against the West Coast, Collingwood had the chance to prove all the doubters wrong, but unfortunately for the Magpies the injuries that had been suffered were just too much. As a result, the Magpies were overwhelmed and easily handled by the Eagles. De Goey and Adams were the only real standouts for Collingwood, with the midfield struggling, and the backline under constant siege. Not only was this a hit to morale at the club, but it also puts their top four hopes into deep jeopardy. If Collingwood fails to beat North, top four falls out of reach. Therefore, this match becomes the most important in the season. Collingwood welcomes back Mason Cox into the side, who was a late withdrawal last week. The Magpies were missing height in the forward line last week, so Cox will be a good inclusion for Collingwood.

Steele Sidebottom is the man to watch for Collingwood this week. Sidebottom had been having an outstanding season leading in the West Coast game, but was effectively tagged out of the game. After only recording 18 disposals, Sidebottom will need to be able to show his experience and determination and be able to shake off the tag that will more than likely be applied to him. With Adam Treloar out for the near future, it will be important for all the midfielders, including Sidebottom, contribute to the side.

North Melbourne

Many tipped North to finish bottom two at the beginning of the season, but to the credit of the Kangaroos, they have shocked many to become top eight contenders. While many have doubts over whether North can march into the finals, credit must be given to Brad Scott’s men in proving the doubters wrong and have become finals contenders. North had the game in their hands last week, but fell away in the closing moments of the game, allowing Sydney to run over the top of them, resulting in a heartbreaking loss. However, it shouldn’t be all negative for North fans, as their team showed that they can compete with the best teams in the leagues.

Shaun Higgins has continued to be an excellent recruit for North, with the midfielder going to another level this season, launching into Brownlow contention. Ben Brown has also been excellent for North, and will most likely have a field day over a depleted Collingwood backline. North average the lowest marks per game, playing a low disposal game, focusing on long kicks to tall targets down field. This has worked wonders earlier in the season, but teams have started to put more work into these tall targets, and at crucial times in the game the long kicking game plan has become a liability.

The man to watch for North is Majak Daw. For years, Daw has been an “almost” player. He at times has showed great potential, but has also shown some average form. Against the Swans last week, he produced perhaps the best performance in his career, kicking four goals and taking six marks. Daw will be hoping to put a repeat of that performance, and prove the doubters wrong.

Changes
North Melbourne

No Change

Collingwood

In: Sam Murray, Mason Cox

Out: Ben Crocker (Omitted), Josh Daicos (Omitted)

Head to Head Odds
North Melbourne: $2.50

Collingwood: $1.54

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

SEN
ABC
MMM

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

The run home…

So, it’s the pointy end of the season, and it’s necessary to see what a loss or win means for Collingwood. The ladder predictor will assume that all the other favorites win.

If Collingwood wins

Barring an absolute demolition job of North Melbourne, Collingwood can only finish the round as high as third. However, depending on the margin, they could fall to fourth.

If Collingwood loses

They fall to fifth.

Tip

Both teams are desperate to get back to winning. However, playing at the MCG could prove to be the difference here, with the Magpies edging North out with a close win.

Collingwood by 17

Last edited:
Haven't seen nearly enough of North this year to know what they do and don't do well.

Hopefully Moore does a good job on Brown, or at least enough to keep him confidence for KPFs in coming weeks.

My main concern is the like of Higgins having pace which our midfield is starting to lack a little bit since Treloar went down.

I can see us handling the likes of Cunnington similar to how we have handled (or tried to handle) Sloane, Cripps, etc.

Intriguing game. If we don't win, I actually won't be expecting much for the rest of the year. If we get up, it's bring on the Tiges.

We HAVE to stay ahead of the Pack but lose we go back to the Pack and then Playing Richmond next week who most Likely Beat Us.

Worry about Daw and Brown up Forward as we struggle against opposition Key Forwards.

My Tip:

NORTH BY 25 Hope I am Wrong

North's height worry me. I want to trade one of their tall backs as a succession plan for Dunne but this is the wrong thread for that.

How do we stop Ben Brown? Moore on him, with help I guess if we think the rest of their forwards can be ignored to an extent. Or just concede six to him and hope we stop the rest and kick more ourselves. I think our mids will be too pacy on the big ground but Goldstein is still a brute and could cause us trouble especially in the centre bounces.

If we piff hail Mary long kicks into the forward fifty they will mark everything. I think they are one of the few clubs with enough big bodies to control the air down back against us. We need clean midfield use which I think we can achieve given our many fast good disposing mids. I love Taylor Adam's heart but he's a bit of culprit with the poor forward disposal, I prefer him in and under. Even if we break even in the rucks I think we can pull this off, but we will have to dominate most of the game because as pointed out North can kick a winning score off vey few possessions.

Scott is a pretty good coach, they have poor playing stocks and obvious weaknesses and yet they compete with the best. hope Bucks has a good day, hate to be worked out early and fail to respond.

Treloar's power running proving hard to replace.

This feels like a 'signal game'.

Do we respond, or slowly decline?

Need a few leaders like Howe and Sidey to lift from last week's form.
(Suspect that Howey is playing pretty sore).

Think we need more centre clearances, so I'd be playing JDG more centre square and perhaps Sidey more F50.

Coxy should really take some pressure off the medium forwards, and hopefully WHE isn't as sore this week.

Interesting to see how Murray responds to the chance - will he take things on, or become gun-shy when pressure, or a clanger comes?

We were effectively two midfielders down in Sidebottom (tagged) and Sier (injured) last week, with a full engine room I think we’ll be too slick for them.

What I’ve realised this year is that we are a good footy team, and yes we stumbled this week, but we’ve responded well to losses this year and I’m expecting the same tomorrow - Pies by 35

My tip is that The Bear and Mason are both going to have huge games.
Grundy, being the competitive beast that he is, is going to come out all guns blazing after a sub standard performance last week.
WHE is going to take lazy one handed marks and kick a few.
Moore is going to be able to demand extra dollars from the club after playing a stellar role in the backline.
Although not having a huge impact possession wise Mihocek will still walk off the ground with three goals to his name.
End result, a good 6-8 goal win to the pies.

Bookmark this post. You will be calling me Nostradamus when the final siren blows.

Honestly i think our blokes are tired and are pretty beat up from a long season. Im not really expecting much more to come we've come on leaps on bounds though so anything else we do for the rest of the season is gravy
I reckon we will be fresher this week. North on the other hand might be sore after playing the Swans.

Honestly i think our blokes are tired and are pretty beat up from a long season. Im not really expecting much more to come we've come on leaps on bounds though so anything else we do for the rest of the season is gravy
Or.....
The Bear... Chomping at the bit.
Mason...Chomping at the bit
Thomas...Got given a second chance and is now chomping at the bit
Moore...Wants the opportunity to prove himself and is chomping at the bit
JDG...Loving that he is being recognised as a star and is chomping at the bit
Stevo..Everyone is saying he is a lock for the rising star. He is loving it and chomping at the bit
Mihocek...After years of effort has finally been given a go and is chomping at the bit
WHE...Early years were marred by injury. Has finally got himself right and is chomping at the bit.
Grundy...Knows within himself that he is the best ruck in the comp. Just has to prove it and is chomping at the bit
Shaz...Years of injury has delayed his opportunity. Now his body is right and he is chomping at the bit
Crispy...Was considered steak knives, now in the conversation for AA. Chomping at the bit

Chin up Slim Shadey. There is a good feel amongst the lads. They will get the job done.

N.B I actually have no friggen idea what the saying "chomping at the bit" is supposed to mean but it seemed appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or.....
The Bear... Chomping at the bit.
Mason...Chomping at the bit
Thomas...Got given a second chance and is now chomping at the bit
Moore...Wants the opportunity to prove himself and is chomping at the bit
JDG...Loving that he is being recognised as a star and is chomping at the bit
Stevo..Everyone is saying he is a lock for the rising star. He is loving it and chomping at the bit
Mihocek...After years of effort has finally been given a go and is chomping at the bit
WHE...Early years were marred by injury. Has finally got himself right and is chomping at the bit.
Grundy...Knows within himself that he is the best ruck in the comp. Just has to prove it and is chomping at the bit
Shaz...Years of injury has delayed his opportunity. Now his body is right and he is chomping at the bit
Crispy...Was considered steak knives, now in the conversation for AA. Chomping at the bit

Chin up Slim Shadey. There is a good feel amongst the lads. They will get the job done.

N.B I actually have no friggen idea what the saying "chomping at the bit" is supposed to mean but it seemed appropriate.
Bad Horse might know.

If bad horse knows then it probably has something to do with BDSM. Whips and chains and that sort of thing.
I won't lie his obsession with belly button lint bothers me.
I could provide him with all the lint he needs.

We HAVE to stay ahead of the Pack but lose we go back to the Pack and then Playing Richmond next week who most Likely Beat Us.

Worry about Daw and Brown up Forward as we struggle against opposition Key Forwards.

My Tip:

NORTH BY 25 Hope I am Wrong
Hope you’re wrong too, I’m thinking Pies by enough

If bad horse knows then it probably has something to do with BDSM. Whips and chains and that sort of thing.
I won't lie his obsession with belly button lint bothers me.

I am not obsessed with belly button lint, the object of my adoration is my Adonis, Josh Schache. Belly button lint is merely the vehicle to express my love, the mute clay from which , like a 7 foot equine Demi Moore, I draw an expression of purest devotion with my hands o the tune of unchained melody, which I guess makes Josh like Patrick Swayze but alive, which kind of works, he does remind me of Patrick, the chiselled jawline, the hair, the way the sun glints on his sweat beaded pectoral, I....may need a moment...

ok, back.

BDSM? Well, we always found you humans a little odd that way. I mean, you might call it the Hellfire club, but for us, ropes, halters, bridles, leather, branding, riding crops, is just an average Tuesday.

Now if you will excuse me, I have been a very, very bad horse...I may need some time in the tack room.

I might have to have a word with the united horses union. Nobody else is allowed to chomp bits thats our job. We might have a demarcation dispute on our hooves if we arent careful.

I am not obsessed with belly button lint, the object of my adoration is my Adonis, Josh Schache. Belly button lint is merely the vehicle to express my love, the mute clay from which , like a 7 foot equine Demi Moore, I draw an expression of purest devotion with my hands o the tune of unchained melody, which I guess makes Josh like Patrick Swayze but alive, which kind of works, he does remind me of Patrick, the chiselled jawline, the hair, the way the sun glints on his sweat beaded pectoral, I....may need a moment...

ok, back.

BDSM? Well, we always found you humans a little odd that way. I mean, you might call it the Hellfire club, but for us, ropes, halters, bridles, leather, branding, riding crops, is just an average Tuesday.

Now if you will excuse me, I have been a very, very bad horse...I may need some time in the tack room.
As Bruce would say.
Your responses and posts are special.
Love your work Bad Horse.

Come on Pies. Massive game today.
Really looking forward to it and love the early starts on a Saturday.

North Melbourne are a good side so they can't be underestimated. However I think if we can get back to our best football that saw us win 7 in a row we should prove too strong.

Lose this and top 4 is gone. Top 8 could also be in jeopardy.

I'm proud of the boys so far this year. Most expected us not to make the 8 so to be in contention for top 4 is an unreal effort... also when you consider the injuries we have had I'm actually staggered we are sitting 3rd on the ladder.
But given we are in this position let's not let it slip away. I think we will show that hunger today and the likes of Pendles, Steele, Grundy and co who were relatively quiet last week will step up and have big games.

Cox is a huge inclusion for us, we really lacked a target against WC last week. Moore will be better for the run and showed some promising signs down back.
DeGoey keeps building and building I can just see him absolutely ripping a game apart very soon.
WHE struggled a bit last week with recovering from injury but should be right this week.

I'm pretty excited for today's game.

Let's hope they put on a good show and have a red hot crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back