Baguley - Hartley - Hooker

Kelly - Hurley - Tippa

Zaharakis - Watson - Colyer

Laverde - Daniher - D.Parish

Fantasia - S.Reid - Francis

Leunberger - Heppell - Z.Merrett
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Langford, Myers, Goddard, Stanton/Hocking/Gleeson

If you want a 20 goal a year forward you may as well play Brown at FF.

If you want a 20 goal a year forward you may as well play Brown at FF.
I think if he gets his body right then he can be at least a 30 goal a year forward.

He showed early on in his career year 2 and 3 of what he could do and also at the end of 2015 albeit only 4 games

I think he improves our side when fit

We've got a bunch of older, glacier level players (including a bunch that haven't played in a year)
Would anyone be adverse to rotating a bunch of guys each week? eg they play 5 weeks straight, rest 1
Players I'm thinking of are Kelly, Goddard, Myers, Hocking, Watson, Stanton (probably missed a couple but you get the drift)
Backs will be largely dictated by opposition with Hurley and probably Bags as the only 2 locked in (presuming Hooker goes forward)
Whichever of Looey and Bellchambers isn't injured plays 1s - if they both happen to be fit the Tom plays VFL
Francis plays VFL unless his fitness improves and hopefully we've got a good dozen or so young players that can rotate through the 1s as per the first group I mentioned

Baguley Hartley Hooker
McGrath Hurley Goddard
Colyer Watson Zaharakis
Walla Daniher Laverde
Fantasia Francis Stewart
Leuy Heppell Z.Merrett
Langford Parish Myers Stanton

If hooker and Hurley are both playin down back, I'm not sure If Hartley gets a game. As good as he's been he's not really the type to play third tall. Hope we find a spot for him though, love the bloke

If hooker and Hurley are both playin down back, I'm not sure If Hartley gets a game. As good as he's been he's not really the type to play third tall. Hope we find a spot for him though, love the bloke
When it comes down to it, both Hooker and Hurley can play that role.

Hooker can do it on McGovern, Walker, Phillips, White, Taberner, Stanley, Wright, Lobb, Vickery, Vardy (when traded to Melbourne), Trengove, Griffiths, Reid, Lycett
Hurley can do Wood, Membrey and Stringer

It will be very interesting to see how Stewart is slotted into a best 22 with indications being that he will be recruited with an eye to playing round 1 2017 - obviously only if form warrants.

Putting aside his quality, the balance of attributes of the key forward options featuring Stewart is really good. Daniher and Stewart are extremely mobile and all three of Dainher, Hooker and Stewart can play both close to goal and in more traditional CHF roles. That's definitely my preferred set up.

Stewart also compliments a forward set-up which includes Daniher and Bellchambers (with Hooker playing in defence).

It's Hooker in defence that interests me because I reckon it makes it less likely that Hartley will play (despite him being the third best KPD option we have). Reckon that Hartley will want to have a monster pre-season because he could be required to play as more of a CHB next year to be an automatic inclusion alongside Hurley and Hooker (whereas this year he has tended to play on the bigger, higher marking full forward types).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be very interesting to see how Stewart is slotted into a best 22 with indications being that he will be recruited with an eye to playing round 1 2017 - obviously only if form warrants.

Putting aside his quality, the balance of attributes of the key forward options featuring Stewart is really good. Daniher and Stewart are extremely mobile and all three of Dainher, Hooker and Stewart can play both close to goal and in more traditional CHF roles. That's definitely my preferred set up.

Stewart also compliments a forward set-up which includes Daniher and Bellchambers (with Hooker playing in defence).

It's Hooker in defence that interests me because I reckon it makes it less likely that Hartley will play (despite him being the third best KPD option we have). Reckon that Hartley will want to have a monster pre-season because he could be required to play as more of a CHB next year to be an automatic inclusion alongside Hurley and Hooker (whereas this year he has tended to play on the bigger, higher marking full forward types).
Why do we think that Hooker defence automatically means Hartley out? If Hooker plays defence it'll be playing on the resting ruck and doing the thing he does best: intercept marking. He'll essentially be doing what McGovern does for WC.

Why do we think that Hooker defence automatically means Hartley out? If Hooker plays defence it'll be playing on the resting ruck and doing the thing he does best: intercept marking. He'll essentially be doing what McGovern does for WC.

As it stands there is no third tall defender in that group (i.e. that guy who has the mobility to "play small").

Hurley is okay in straight lines on the lead but has no agility. Hooker is on the slow side (as is evidence by the reality that he has not played on anyone who is half decent on the lead since about 2012). Hartley is a bit of an unknown quantity, he moves well but probably has not displayed the burst of speed required to play on smaller, nimbler opponents.

Ambrose is a better fit even if he is not as good a player. My hope is certainly that Hurley can add the third tall string to his bow and that Hartley ability to match Franklin on the lead is an indication that can be the number 1 defender regardless of the opponent but it's speculation.

As it stands there is no third tall defender in that group (i.e. that guy who has the mobility to "play small").

Hurley is okay in straight lines on the lead but has no agility. Hooker is on the slow side (as is evidence by the reality that he has not played on anyone who is half decent on the lead since about 2012). Hartley is a bit of an unknown quantity, he moves well but probably has not displayed the burst of speed required to play on smaller, nimbler opponents.
As a general rule, oppo 3rd talls seem to be their resting rucks. Other than NM with Wood.

Semantics.

Every side wants one of the three key position players at either end to be in-between for the sake of team balance. Whether the player is the 2nd or 3rd tall doesn't really matter.
Except Adelaide that seems to play with 4 KPF's (Gov, Lynch, Jenkins, Walker). I think we have the right balance with Hurley, Hartley and Hooker personally.

Except Adelaide that seems to play with 4 KPF's (Gov, Lynch, Jenkins, Walker). I think we have the right balance with Hurley, Hartley and Hooker personally.
IMO Lynch doesn't really play as a KPF. More of your Monfries role. Plus, Tex and Gov are very mobile for their size.

In light of today's news:

B: Stewart Stewart Stewart
HB: Stewart Stewart Alf Stewart
C: Stewart Stewart Stewart
HF: Rod Stewart Stewart Stewart
F: Stewart Stewart Stewart
R: Stewart Stewart Stuart Little
I: Stewart Stewart Stewart Dempsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back