Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlett quit the Hawks he was not delisted.

You haven't provided any examples.

Players are demoted to the rookie list all the time why would that create any negative PR?
Yep Garlett quit was what their press release said, but the club booted him nothing surer, you're actually gonna spin that as not being delisted...

Yep Garlett quit was what their press release said, but the club booted him nothing surer, you're actually gonna spin that as not being delisted...

You are way off.

Why would Hawthorn delist a bloke mid season? Garlett quit when he decided he didn't want to come home from Perth.

You literally have no evidence supporting your claims..

Continually staggered by the automatic selection of Hooker as a forward by so many.

Yes, this again.

Don't disagree he was good for about a ten game stretch, however how that beats all his work as an absolutely, top-few-in-league elite defender has got me beat.

He's so valuable as an intercepting and attacking force in the backline. We really missed that last year without him or Fletch there.

Hooker will absolutely thrive with the presence of Hartley. He'll dominate.

What's more, it would appear to me we've purposefully gone and got a ready-made beast like Stewart to play as a tall forward target.

Really can't understand so many people who just want to plonk him in F50. Not on my watch!!

Simple really. He looked dangerous as a forward and only his kicking let him down. I suspect he will play at both ends depending on match ups.

It will come down to how a few others go. I like him forward as i think Hurley , Hartley and Brown can cover most sides forward brigade with Hooker in the side and able to go back when needed. The three defenders outside Hooker are currently better than the forward options.

Stewart is not ready made. He has done ok in the NEAFL but has done very little at AFL level yet. He has the potential to improve but has to get to another level.

The key may be Bellchambers. If and it is a big enough if, he can find his 2013 form and remain injury free then he solves a problem in that he can play forward / second ruck and kick goals.

The other aspect will be the development of Francis and if he can hold down a forward spot.

Team balance and working on what spots are weakest. No point having Brown or Hartley out of the side for Hooker to play back if we are one tall forward short and can not kick enough goals to win a game.

Simple really. He looked dangerous as a forward and only his kicking let him down. I suspect he will play at both ends depending on match ups.

It will come down to how a few others go. I like him forward as i think Hurley , Hartley and Brown can cover most sides forward brigade with Hooker in the side and able to go back when needed. The three defenders outside Hooker are currently better than the forward options.

Stewart is not ready made. He has done ok in the NEAFL but has done very little at AFL level yet. He has the potential to improve but has to get to another level.

The key may be Bellchambers. If and it is a big enough if, he can find his 2013 form and remain injury free then he solves a problem in that he can play forward / second ruck and kick goals.

The other aspect will be the development of Francis and if he can hold down a forward spot.

Team balance and working on what spots are weakest. No point having Brown or Hartley out of the side for Hooker to play back if we are one tall forward short and can not kick enough goals to win a game.

Has Brown ever played back for us?

Don't see Belly as a forward. He's not physical enough.

Exactly. Having Hurley or Hooker not playing on one of the two tallest forward gorillas is a massive outcome.

Can't believe people don't see it, Fletch just spent 15 years showing us!

Difference with Fletcher was that standing key forwards was not his strength and he was a good enough player and mobile enough to genuinely play small.

Last edited:
I couldn't give a rats what end Hooker plays I just hope he can regain his elite KP form.

Difference with Fletcher was that standing key forwards was not his strength and he was a good enough player and mobile enough to genuinely play small.

LOL what?

Did you miss 1993 - 2001?

He played on all the big forwards and beat them all.

He adapted his game, lost weight, and turned himself into a different player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a game near the end of the season where he took like 10 marks or something ridiculous. He played defence for a good part of that game, and I think a bit in the other games around that time of year as well.

I think it was actually 20 odd marks, broke some type of record from memory.

This is harder than I thought but i'll give it a go

B: C Hooker M Hartley M Baguley
HB: B Goddard M Hurley A McGrath
C: D Parish D Heppell T Colyer
HF: J Laverde J Daniher A Tippungwuti
F: K Langford A Francis O Fantasia
R: M Leuenberger J Watson Z Merrett
INT: D Myers D Zaharakis J Kelly M Dea
EMG: M Gleeson B Stanton H Hocking

That was tough! The below list very stiff to miss.

Ambrose
Gleeson
Stanton
Howlett
Hocking
McKenna

Last edited:
This is harder than I thought but i'll give it a go

B: C Hooker M Hartley M Baguley
HB: B Goddard M Hurley A McGrath
C: D Parish D Heppell T Colyer
HF: J Laverde J Daniher A Tippungwuti
F: K Langford A Francis O Fantasia
R: M Leuenberger J Watson Z Merrett
INT: D Myers D Zaharakis J Kelly M Dea
EMG: B Stanton H Hocking M Dea

That was tough! The below list very stiff to miss.

Ambrose
Gleeson
Stanton
Howlett
Hocking
McKenna

thats a ripper side but u have dea as on the bench and emergency...id have him on the bench...he is quality and will probebly gradually take bagualys spot...tough as nails and puts body on the line....stanton would play in my side also....but love the team here...all the youngens getting games under there belts

You are way off.

Why would Hawthorn delist a bloke mid season? Garlett quit when he decided he didn't want to come home from Perth.

You literally have no evidence supporting your claims..
Not that recent but Laurence Angwin managed to get sacked in 2001 after being drafted in the 2000 National Draft. Also, Doggies delisted a rookie ruckman mid year after taking him last year.

Doesn't seem to really happen all that often though.

Backs. Mark Baguley - Michael Hartley - Paddy Ambrose

Half Backs. James Kelly - Michael Hurley - Matt Dea

Centres. Brent Stanton - Zac Merrett - Travis Colyer

Half Forwards. David Zaharakis - Joe Daniher - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

Forwards. Tom Bellchambers - Cale Hooker - Orazio Fantasia

Rucks. Matt Lleunberger - Jobe Watson - Dyson Heppell

I/C. Brendon Goddard - Darcy Parish - David Myers - Kyle Langford

VFL

Backs. Martin Gleeson - Mitch Brown - Andrew McGrath

Half Backs. Alex Morgan - Jordan Ridley - Conor McKenna

Centres. Jackson Merrett - Heath Hocking - Jake Long

Half Forwards. Jayden Laverde - Aaron Francis - Mason Redman

Forwards. Josh Green - James Stewart - Josh Begley

Rucks. Shaun McKernan- Ben Howlett - Craig Bird

I/C. The rest haha

Still think we need that ruck. Would like a 20 - 22 year old hence the interest in 20 year old North Ballarat ruck Rowan Marshal who shouldered the ruck load for the Roosters this year. Plenty of development left in him.

Would like another small/hybrid defender with McGrath eventually to transitioning into a midfield prospect.

seriously under estimating dylan clarke...he will play vfl for sure.....and will break in to the team...he is a gun...seen him play a few times.....hes a steal at pick 63....should of gone top 30 i think

seriously under estimating dylan clarke...he will play vfl for sure.....and will break in to the team...he is a gun...seen him play a few times.....hes a steal at pick 63....should of gone top 30 i think

Not to start with now. By years end he could be playing midfield minutes

My thing is... I can see Hooker being able to do the same. His intercept work is A-grade. He learnt from the best.
Absolutely he can play that role to a high standard, though not to Fletch levels - can't distribute as well and isn't the extraordinary team defender that Fletch was.

Not the point though - it's not about where Hooker plays his best footy, it's about where Hooker most benefits the team. For me that's forward.

Perfect foil for JD, just needs improvement on goal kicking.

Has Brown ever played back for us?

Don't see Belly as a forward. He's not physical enough.

Are you serious ? - Brown played around 50/50 back and forward - Started back, then had a stint forward, then played a bit of defence in the last 6 weeks - Probably a bit better in defence but only if he plays number 2 or 3 tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back