Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

While one is one too many, since 1988/89 last year's number was the 3rd lowest, it has returned to pre-COVID levels.

Since 1988/89 there have been two years in the 70s, six in the 60s, six in the 50s, twelve in the 40s, six in the 30s and two in the 20s (both during COVID).

The source of the figures is the Australian Institute of Criminology.

I wonder why it wasn't a national emergency in 2001/02 when the figure was 75 or 1990/91 when it was 72?

During the first full year of COVID, 2020/21 the rate for women being killed by an intimate partner fell by 27% while the figure for men jumped by 62.5%.
Guess what else happened during covid?

Welfare payments were doubled

Think about what you're saying in the context of the fact 3 more women were murdered by men today too

* sake get some perspective
That doesn't give free reign for people like Miss Williams to set her own narrative and agenda though does it. Don't act like only you understand the seriousness of this issue. If we all can't share our views in how to fix it how are we going to fix it. Shouting down people regardless of who they are isn't how you do it referring to Miss Williams.

That doesn't give free reign for people like Miss Williams to set her own narrative and agenda though does it. Don't act like only you understand the seriousness of this issue. If we all can't share our views in how to fix it how are we going to fix it. Shouting down people regardless of who they are isn't how you do it referring to Miss Williams.
I'm not really interested in the ongoing criticism of Sarah Williams as anything other than an example of the problem.

People are busy attacking and blaming her when national cabinet decided the fix was going after deep fake pr0n and age verification to stop minors accessing the internet

Not properly funding frontline services

Not doing anything really

I'm not sure Sarah Williams helped her cause by rushing off to Ben Fordham and Sky to plead her case.
That’s pretty harsh if people are criticising her for that. Media outlets were probably contacting her and she obliged. She was also on the ABC (I heard her on NewsRadio about 8am the next morning in a fairly lengthy interview).

I'm a bit sick of hearing about how social media is to blame for everything when Murdoch's own brand of racism and misogyny has been infecting our country for generations.
Yep apparently it's all the internet's fault, no-one was abusing/murdering women before Facebook 🙄

House loans were also around 15 years… which limited the amount people could borrow and controlled the housing market.
Soon they’ll make home loans 45 years… or generational.

The issues is the banks… and how they are allowed to lend money.
Relaxing the lending rules in a pandemic was criminal IMO. Thanks scomo.
Banks are the problem

Posted this in the crime thread but it fits here.

The vast majority of women working in those shelters, crisis centres and providing support are volunteers. What support- both financial and emotional is provided to them? IIMHO this is something that has to sit front and centre of government immediate and long term plans.

This set of twitter posts from a women's shelter volunteer explains what its like working on the front line. Please take the time to read all of the posts and contemplate what it is saying:

Because it puts this post from Dr Ryan into perspective:

And a reminder that National Cabinet, having delivered a grossly underwhelming set of actions yesterday National Cabinet won’t meet again for about three months.

This set of twitter posts from a women's shelter volunteer explains what its like working on the front line. Please take the time to read all of the posts and contemplate what it is saying:
Some volunteers do it because they have suffered from this type of violence or assault in the past and want to help.

They help out and compound their own mental health problems, sometimes aggravating their own PTSD just from hearing the many stories from the many women and children they encounter in their unpaid roles.

The procurement note is dated this Tuesday — the same day the Federal Lobbyists’ Register was updated to show PwC had engaged a lobbying firm run by two former senior ALP staffers.

“PwC has engaged a lobbying firm run by two former senior ALP staffers”
Brookline Consulting is run by Lidija Ivanovski, former chief-of-staff to Labor deputy leader, and now also Deputy Prime Minister, Richard Marles; and Gerard Richardson, who until March last year was communications director to Federal Treasurer Jim Chalmers.

Also, how's that NACC going?
Oh... it's all being kept secret.

Ah well, at least we're still locking up whistle-blowers!

The procurement note is dated this Tuesday — the same day the Federal Lobbyists’ Register was updated to show PwC had engaged a lobbying firm run by two former senior ALP staffers.

Brookline Consulting is run by Lidija Ivanovski, former chief-of-staff to Labor deputy leader, and now also Deputy Prime Minister, Richard Marles; and Gerard Richardson, who until March last year was communications director to Federal Treasurer Jim Chalmers.

Also, how's that NACC going?
Oh... it's all being kept secret.

Ah well, at least we're still locking up whistle-blowers!

Just another example of why the ALPs anti corruption body was given such limited powers. At some stage, the ALP is going to have to lift its game as being better than the LNP is not good enough.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The vast majority of women working in those shelters, crisis centres and providing support are volunteers. What support- both financial and emotional is provided to them? IIMHO this is something that has to sit front and centre of government immediate and long term plans.

And a reminder that National Cabinet, having delivered a grossly underwhelming set of actions yesterday National Cabinet won’t meet again for about three months.

Sharna has been doing amazing work for years

The government was told well prior to all of this that frontline services needed approximately $1b a year to meet demands and they've been given nowhere near that (and that's when they even get funding)

They could have increased funding for these services, they could have raised welfare payments

They could have removed the partner income test, they have been told over and over again what will work but they're not going to do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* useless aren't they. They can hold emergency sessions of parliament to ram through legislation when it suits but when it's something that's too hard, too expensive or they don't really care to deal with, yeah let's have a circle jerk and reconvene in 3 months.

The money could go to front line services
That would be nice.

But we all know that won't happen, once it passes through the multitude of hands that it would.

I am WAY more likely to slip someone in the street a Twenty than I am to give to a charity/appeal/"fundraiser".

I don't care what the person on the street that I give it to spends it on, but at least I know they'll get the whole $20

I'm not really interested in the ongoing criticism of Sarah Williams as anything other than an example of the problem.

People are busy attacking and blaming her when national cabinet decided the fix was going after deep fake pr0n and age verification to stop minors accessing the internet

Not properly funding frontline services

Not doing anything really
It was a token pivot to weaponize the crisis to jam something through they have been waiting for a moment like this.

Sharna has been doing amazing work for years

The government was told well prior to all of this that frontline services needed approximately $1b a year to meet demands and they've been given nowhere near that (and that's when they even get funding)

They could have increased funding for these services, they could have raised welfare payments

They could have removed the partner income test, they have been told over and over again what will work but they're not going to do it
Government avoid direct funding of frontline services, because its politically volictile....if they fund and nothing improves, they fear backlash at the voting booths. Its why so much mental health funding goes to NGO sector rather than public services....and also why the NDIS is a mess.

******* useless aren't they. They can hold emergency sessions of parliament to ram through legislation when it suits but when it's something that's too hard, too expensive or they don't really care to deal with, yeah let's have a circle jerk and reconvene in 3 months.
It's just PR in the long run.

"See look at us we care about women!"

For something like DV it's a complex problem that needs a complex solution.

That would be nice.

But we all know that won't happen, once it passes through the multitude of hands that it would.

I am WAY more likely to slip someone in the street a Twenty than I am to give to a charity/appeal/"fundraiser".

I don't care what the person on the street that I give it to spends it on, but at least I know they'll get the whole $20
Governments are happy to give money to charities to "do the work"

but not to community groups or organisations that aren't run by people that run in their circles

you know, the groups that actually do the work and do the good work

heaven forbid they put money somewhere effective or it might actually fix something and then people will realise that they can solve problems

everything they do is a choice and the choices are largely to maintain the status quo while releasing the pressure valve, not to actually change anything

they love a 10 year plan because by the time the 10 years is over its almost always someone elses fault if it doesn't succeed

Loving how he's pretending this is a new thing he's just made available when its been available for over 2 years because Morrison brought this in when he was being criticized for doing nothing about the same issue that Albo is now doing nothing about.

Same payment which isn't $5k, its a maximum of $1500 cash and a maximum of $3500 in vouchers and you have to already have left to apply for it.

Most people who get it done get close to the 5000 and half the people who apply get nothing.

It's not an emergency payment either you jump through hoops for weeks to be able to access it.

This does nothing to help people leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Back