News Archie Perkins doesn’t want to leave home

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Archie Perkins was just on SEN. Very blatantly just said he had told recruiters that he has no interest whatsoever in leaving Victoria. Not ready to do so.

I think that would explain Twomey's phantom has him sliding to us should he be passed on by Essendon and North Melbourne, notwithstanding any live trades up the board.

____

“Yes, I have. I hope they take that on board,” Perkins told SEN Mornings. “I get that they’re doing what’s in the best interests of their footy club, but I just think personally that I’m not ready for that in this stage of my life.

“I feel like it would impact me too much and I don’t think it would be in their best interests as a footy club to have me there because I wouldn’t be 100 per cent with it, and couldn’t really commit myself 100 per cent as opposed to staying here.

“I would be ready to go and fully committed. I just don’t think I’m ready for that and I wanted to be honest about it.”

Archie Perkins was just on SEN. Very blatantly just said he had told recruiters that he has no interest whatsoever in leaving Victoria. Not ready to do so.

I think that would explain Twomey's phantom has him sliding to us should he be passed on by Essendon and North Melbourne, notwithstanding any live trades up the board.
should be pulled out of the draft for a year for that..absolute draft tampering. Imagine if Thilthorpe did that and was public about it to get to Crows pick 9..there wouuld be hell to pay from the AFL media. Should be the same here with Perkins

should be pulled out of the draft for a year for that..absolute draft tampering. Imagine if Thilthorpe did that and was public about it to get to Crows pick 9..there wouuld be hell to pay from the AFL media. Should be the same here with Perkins

To be honest I think any player who believes that should not have signed up for the draft at all. If you are not prepared to go to war don't sign up for the army, if you are not prepared to move interstate do not sign up for the draft.

I think players are allowed to say it aren’t they? It’s just frowned upon and obviously they have to go wherever they are selected.

It’s just a pity if that means a club gets a bargain.

If Perkins is delisted in 3 years time after having played 5 rather uninspired games for whatever club he is drafted by I am not going to feel bad for him.

I think players are allowed to say it aren’t they? It’s just frowned upon and obviously they have to go wherever they are selected.

It’s just a pity if that means a club gets a bargain.
Maybe in private interviews if asked the question, going public to the media isn’t a great look.

Maybe in private interviews if asked the question, going public to the media isn’t a great look.

Yeah I think Bailey smith did the same thing but not publicly. Which was a smart move.

Yeah I think Bailey smith did the same thing but not publicly. Which was a smart move.

Rumours are Cyril tanked his interviews with non-Victorian clubs too, but he was smart enough not to simply announce it in the media as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumours are Cyril tanked his interviews with non-Victorian clubs too, but he was smart enough not to simply announce it in the media as well.

It would be ironic if he went to Collingwood, who then traded him against his will to Gold Coast.

embarrassing by the kid. your going into a national competition, your happy to take the money, fame and everything else that comes with it.
If you dont want to maybe move play in the VFL and be done with it.
Your at most a couple hours from home by plane and playing in melb every few weeks anyway.
hope some of the recruiters told him to grow up and pull his head in

That comment is full of arrogance and suggests to me the young man is not ready to be drafted at all. There are so many kids who will travel anywhere to fulfill the dream, this really to me suggests a high amount of immaturity on the boys part. Should be pulled from the draft imo.

18 year olds dictating where they will be drafted now, he should be very very thankful he is in a position where clubs want to draft him. Really disappointing (and perhaps a little concerning) this attitude.

Perkins has done what plenty before him have and what plenty after him will, the difference is he's said it publicly, which at the end of the day makes no difference to saying it in private in terms of clubs likelihood of taking you, except now if an interstate club drafts him the trade rumours will being immediately

embarrassing by the kid. your going into a national competition, your happy to take the money, fame and everything else that comes with it.
If you dont want to maybe move play in the VFL and be done with it.
Your at most a couple hours from home by plane and playing in melb every few weeks anyway.
hope some of the recruiters told him to grow up and pull his head in
Didn’t Wingard do a similar thing in his draft year?

Perkins has done what plenty before him have and what plenty after him will, the difference is he's said it publicly, which at the end of the day makes no difference to saying it in private in terms of clubs likelihood of taking you, except now if an interstate club drafts him the trade rumours will being immediately

Yep. There is no way a non-Victorian club will touch him now.

It is the reason Sydney did not draft Dunkley as he was a huge flight risk. Basically told the Swans that if a non-Victorian team bid on him then he would go to the Swans, but if a Victorian club bid on him he did not want us to match, so we were literally his 11th option.

Yep. There is no way a non-Victorian club will touch him now.

It is the reason Sydney did not draft Dunkley as he was a huge flight risk. Basically told the Swans that if a non-Victorian team bid on him then he would go to the Swans, but if a Victorian club bid on him he did not want us to match, so we were literally his 11th option.
The other side of the coin is, I don't think any kid is inherently a flight risk, if you're a club that backs your culture and development you should believe you'll be able to build an environment kids want to stay in, so if I was Sydney/Crows/GWS/Fremantle/Suns I'd still pick him if he was the best on the board

Imagine if McDonald and DGB come out and said they dont want to leave WA. I bet the AFL would change some rule to make sure it wouldnt happen.

They would. The AFL would argue "well Perkins is saying he is willing to play for 10 clubs at least, McDonald is saying he is only willing to play for 2"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back