Australia v New Zealand 3rd test at the SCG Jan 3 -7

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a team that was being hyped up as the greatest NZ team to tour Aus.

Leaving they'll be known as the undisputed worst NZ team to tour Aus :moustache::gun:
Or the Australian team is starting to get back to number 1, bowling was always extremely good (especially the pace attack), the batting was always a worry but with Smith and Warner returning and more importantly Labs emergence which means we have 3 quality batters which you need to compete for the best Test team (it's what India has), just need one of Head or Wade to settle and I wouldn't mind Khawaja being the other opener.

Nah that's rubbish. Just because our greatest bowling attack of all time can take wickets bowling 140+ doesn't make this pitch anything more than meh.
I'd disagree. It can still be a good pitch that NZ just aren't suited for. A bad pitch would be if we make 400+, NZ make 400+ and it goes to the 5th day still in the 3rd innings. A fit Boult would have been an absolute handful out there today, particularly early on.

Aus and SA are terrible match ups for us.

Our strengths are neutralized by conditions and the Aussies facing superior versions of it from their bowlers (swing, seam at pace).

That, and Labuschange breaking out are really the two nails in the coffin against being competitive, as that has really stabilised what has been a crippling weakness for most of this decade.

Also Williamson bowling first. Like heck man, you have google, there is no excuse for that mistake being made in Australia from a touring side in 2019.

If Marnus scores 2 after tea, his Test average will be 60. It would be a rare moment when both batsmen at the crease are averaging 60 or more.
Only other pair I could think of would be Pollock and Richards towards the tail end of the 1970 tour.

Well actually, yeh yeh. :)
You asked:
"To be fair to Santner name an overseas finger spinner who has succeeded on Australian pitches in the past 20 years. "
I answered your question citing that series only, naming Swann who most definitely "succeeded on Australian pitches".
15 wickets @ 39.8, in that series, 2010-11.

He had one successful series. On Australian pitches. In the past 20 years.
The fact that he was crap out here after that, packed up his ball and went home sooking as I recall, is irrelevant.

This is from Wikipedia, although Pietersen was named MotM for his 227 in the first dig:
"England toured Australia during the winter for the away Ashes series, England won the series 3–1 with Swann playing a vital role in holding up an end. He had success in the second test at Adelaide taking 7 wickets in the match and a match winning 5 wicket haul. He finished the series with 15 wickets at an average of 39.80, economy of 2.72 and a strike rate of 87.6, these figures are much greater to that of the several Australian spinners, Xavier Doherty and Michael Beer, with the latter making his debut in the final test at Sydney. Graeme Swann played a pivotal role in England's series success down under, with control and his wicket taking abilities when needed. He ended 2010 as England retained and then won the Ashes series in Australia, as the second highest-ranked bowler in world cricket, and the highest ranked spin bowler. ",
but if you go here, there are several articles talking about Swann's success in Oz in that series.

I mean its not possible to have a successful series and have a record like that overall.
He's going at 1 wicket an innings.

15 wickets @ 40 for an ashes series isn't really successful.
That's 3 wickets a test. 1.5 an innings. In a series they won 3-1
I wouldn't count holding up an end as having a successful series. Plenty of world off spinners can hold up an end.

Given he had 5 wickets in one innings that mean he took 10 for the remaining 9 innings.
How can you possibly say that's a successful series?

I'm willing to bet your English.

That, and Labuschange breaking out are really the two nails in the coffin against being competitive, as that has really stabilised what has been a crippling weakness for most of this decade.

Also Williamson bowling first. Like fu** man, you have google, there is no excuse for that mistake being made in Australia from a touring side in 2019.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-africa-2nd-test-sa-tour-of-australia-2016-17 last time a visiting country won the toss, elected to bowl and won was the South Africa game when we were bowled out for 80odd in 2016. Time before that England in 2010 Ashes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people all of a sudden deluding themselves into thinking Warner is a quality? The guy is bog average away from home.

Why is it everyone focuses on Warner as not playing as well away as they do at home, and yet at least 90% of cricketers are guilty of the same thing.

Why are people all of a sudden deluding themselves into thinking Warner is a quality? The guy is bog average away from home.

Bog average the last couple of years overseas but he has 29 scores more than 50 in Australia, 24 away. The difference in going on to make a 100 is acute though and there's alot more single figure scores overseas.

Jay White and Israel Adesanya are the only two good things we have going for us atm.

Going to go watch some Adesanya vs Whittaker highlights, I've had enough of this crap :triumph:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back