Test AUSTRALIA v SOUTH AFRICA First Test. Dec 17-21, Gabba, Brisbane. 11.20am AEDT.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

His bowling average since the start of 2018 is literally 22. Same as his career average. Every metric since then is in line with his career record.

His average since 2019 ‘jumps’ up to 23.

Again his metrics are all basically the same.

His average since 2020 actually DROPS

Since 2021 if anything his record improves. His average is 20, he takes 5 wickets per game.

Without any possible way of construing his numbers, the ONLY thing that changed during his ‘lag’ period was that he wasn’t taking five wicket hauls with the same frequency. He was still striking at a stupid rate, still going for next to no runs per wicket, and still oscillating between 4.5-5 wickets per test.

There is no hole anyone can pick in his record

And he’s still only 27

Yes, since the start of 2018. Then he had that blitzing series against us. Then he got that back injury in mid-2018. His average since then is excellent, even world-class (23-24), but he's collected only 3 5-fers in that time in 25 matches, compared to 9 5-fers and 4 10-fers in 30 matches before that.

Also, a lot of the time he has been able to play on seamer-friendly decks which offered plenty for both sides (which is why the IND/SA series was such a low-scoring series).

I'd aver that he's still very dangerous with the new ball, and in favourable conditions, but his injuries have robbed him of that extra pace which allows him to go harder for longer and rip out the middle-order with express reverse swing like he did to us in 2017/18.

It's not a massive hole, but Rabada post-2018 is clearly different from Rabada pre-2018. Same deal with Waqar. For most of his Test career, Waqar was still dangerous, but not the blitzing world-beater that he was in his first few years.

You're all gonna get a rude awakening when South Africa's bowling attack rips through us
Both bowling attacks are outstanding- runs on the board is where it will be won. Despite their averages SA have the ability to get enough, I’m just not convinced they’ll do it often enough.

Seeing Rabada and Cummins bowling will be worth the price of admission and some.

You're all gonna get a rude awakening when South Africa's bowling attack rips through us
I can definitely see that happening, however Aussie bowling will also the South African batting lineup. Australia’s batting is not perfect but it is a lot better than South Africa’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sixers all out for 15 LOL lowest score everr in any T20 match
Thunder.. the westies, not the silvertails. Henry Thornton another from Blues territory that got away. Nine wickets in his first two matches.
Morning all. Old habits die hard,
Morning to you. If I did that the missus would call it a 'senior moment'. Like putting the sugar or salt in the fridge. o_O

As a commentator Chappelli irritated me to distraction. But his cricket nouse is usually spot on. Like some of us here he believes CA missed a trick by not picking Lance Morris to debut on what is being called a 'green mamba' Gabba, and that it could play into the hands of the Saffas who may pick all their five pacers. A main advantage for us is some of our greatest victories have come at the Gabba while not one from this current Saffa side has ever played at the famous Brissie ground.

Last edited:
So pleased these tests are are across the Eastern seaboard - it's been an absolute joy watching these tussles in Perth over the years.

Not sure if it has been mentioned (haven't seen in the media) but South Africa have won their last three test series on our home soil - an incredible achievement. Haven't beaten them since 2005/6 here!

As a South African born Aussie find it so hard to pick a side when they play - but really want the Aussies to wrestle control back this time. Hope it ends up 2-1 for the Aussies with each game decoded in the last hour of the game.

This is the biggest test series in my view. India has only recently started doing well over here and England is only competitive for the away series.

Let's go!!!!

Back