Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

This is heartbreaking that our young have the need for this service now more than ever.

View attachment 1925451

I suspect the double edged swords that are smart phones and social media have had a lot to do with this.

Kids today are simultaneously both more connected than they've ever been yet also more disconnected than they've ever been.

There was a great article on this in the Financial Times a while back that I'd encourage people to read.

1710212695297.png
1710212790323.png
1710212824883.png

Society also regresses.

We are trending more toward the latter one.
See this is irony. The guy who is anti everything including the scientific advancement of vaccines lamenting the potential regression of society.

Stop lamenting, stop choosing ignorance and start making a postive and useful contribution to society.

I never suggested the air purifiers were a good idea in schools... as not aware of any evidence it helps. Sounded like a waste of taxpayer monies.

Sure I liked the post, but was for the other points made.

As usual you jump on something I never suggested in any post.. which is why you did NOT quote me!

I'm sure it makes you & your narrow minded fan boys happy though that you are once again misrepresentating my views!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Largesse writ large...

Meanwhile millions of Australians on struggle street continue to do it tough.

$44,000 flights and $8k on cars: Tony Burke’s four day US spending spree​

$44k on flights, $8k on cars: Employment Relations minister Tony Burke and a staffer travelled to America for a trip which cost Richard Marles half what Burke billed taxpayers.

Employment Relations Minister Tony Burke forked out $57,000 of taxpayer cash in a four day US spending spree where he had lunch and dinner with the Australian ambassador and attended a meeting with a US Senator.
The trip, taken between July 11 and 15 in 2022, was for the 30th Australian American Leadership Dialogue (AALD).
But for Mr Burke the four-day trip cost twice as much as Defence Minister Richard Marles’ expenses for the same visit.
His eye watering bill included $44,000 on business class flights for him and a staff member, more than $8000 on hire cars — including having one car waiting on hand for 10 hours — and about $4000 on accommodation.
The spending has come to light in previously secret documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph under the Freedom of Information Act and come amid a renewed push greater transparency on parliamentary spending.
Politicians on all sides continue to spend taxpayer money with little consideration to value for money.

Their guidelines allow them to rort as they do.

Even when they are caught out with breaking the rules, there are no fines or ramifications.

Politicians on all sides continue to spend taxpayer money with little consideration to value for money.

Their guidelines allow them to rort as they do.

Even when they are caught out with breaking the rules, there are no fines or ramifications.
It's a nothing-burger story. Politicians are entitled to fly business class when flying overseas. Given that he only took one aide, it's hardly unreasonable. It's not rorting - it's an job entitlement, and it's just that flying overseas is really expensive.

It's a nothing-burger story. Politicians are entitled to fly business class when flying overseas. Given that he only took one aide, it's hardly unreasonable. It's not rorting - it's an job entitlement, and it's just that flying overseas is really expensive.
I don't understand why so many politicians need to take a private plane at great expense for non-urgent travel within Australia.

Also, some of the travel bills per day for overseas travel is often exorbitant excluding airfares.

Spending over $50K for half a weeks travel is common place. That is ridiculous!

How about these Insurance companies, what a mob of degenerates at the MLC.

Had something a bit similar re the experience with AAMI when a fire went through our property in Quuensland, paid about half of what the true cost was and lo and behold a month later we get a letter telling us they would no longer insure us. Never had a problem taking our money for the previous 12 or so years until we had to make our one and only claim. Safe to say I don't recommend AAMI and copping their bullshit ads on the TV every night pisses us right off.

I left AAMI after being a long term customer years ago after a poor customer experience.

They have effectively lost money as have moved to RAA who have been far better to deal with.

How about these Insurance companies, what a mob of degenerates at the MLC.

Had something a bit similar re the experience with AAMI when a fire went through our property in Quuensland, paid about half of what the true cost was and lo and behold a month later we get a letter telling us they would no longer insure us. Never had a problem taking our money for the previous 12 or so years until we had to make our one and only claim. Safe to say I don't recommend AAMI and copping their bullshit ads on the TV every night pisses us right off.

We use Allianz through Westpac. Been fantastic so far for us.

What's wrong with economy? Or meet over Zoom/Teams like the rest of us had to make do with when these knobs decided to close state borders and lock Australian citizens out of the country.

The truly amazing thing is that nobody could’ve seen this coming.

I think most people came to realise the covid committee was more a tick box exercise in PR more than actually trying to prevent the spread of covid. It was obvious this was the case when the covid committee started doing all the government announcements for upcoming events.

Then explain why Richard Marles went on the same trip with one staffer yet claimed a half of what Burke claimed?

There is a significant difference between an "entitlement"and a deadset rort.
Imagine if a spreadsheet of all politician claims had to be published publicly every quarter so the public could make up it's own mind...

I don't understand why so many politicians need to take a private plane at great expense for non-urgent travel within Australia.

Also, some of the travel bills per day for overseas travel is often exorbitant excluding airfares.

Spending over $50K for half a weeks travel is common place. That is ridiculous!
A return airfare, Business Class, from Australia to the USA is around $10,000. It doesn't require too many travellers before taking a private flight becomes cheaper than flying commercial.

Imagine if a spreadsheet of all politician claims had to be published publicly every quarter so the public could make up it's own mind...
All politicians travel claims have to be justified, and they are asked to reimburse the public if the expenses are found to be illegitimate. The parliamentary expenses authority is charged with monitoring their expenses, and ensuring that all of them are above board.

Just this week, Andrew Laming lost a Federal Court case, where he was attempting to challenge the watchdog's findings that he had to pay back over $10,000 in travel expenses, which he had claimed - but to which he was not entitled.
Andrew Laming loses court challenge over watchdog’s travel expenses decision

Here's the website for the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority, for further information:
https://www.ipea.gov.au/

A return airfare, Business Class, from Australia to the USA is around $10,000. It doesn't require too many travellers before taking a private flight becomes cheaper than flying commercial.
Re-read my post as I was talking about domestic flights where politicians have private charter flights for non-urgent work.

All politicians travel claims have to be justified, and they are asked to reimburse the public if the expenses are found to be illegitimate. The parliamentary expenses authority is charged with monitoring their expenses, and ensuring that all of them are above board.

Just this week, Andrew Laming lost a Federal Court case, where he was attempting to challenge the watchdog's findings that he had to pay back over $10,000 in travel expenses, which he had claimed - but to which he was not entitled.
Andrew Laming loses court challenge over watchdog’s travel expenses decision

Here's the website for the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority, for further information:
https://www.ipea.gov.au/
Would be good if their expenditure was benchmarked against each other... wirh in depth analysis as to what looks like outlier payments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back