Autopsy Autopsy vs St Kilda - Round 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually really like the game style when it clicks, but it's only clicking for a quarter or two per game and the other half/three quarters we look flat-footed and bored.

It is an issue when it clicks and we move forward with purpose only to crash against the stagnant rocks that are in our forward line.

I like him down there but he gets torched by opponents for speed which means someone has to leave their man if it comes in quickly. I don’t know if we can play both him and Hall so loose off their man. Their rebound football is fantastic. Add atley to that and it leaves us really exposed down back when 3 of the 6 defenders are trying to create play. Sure we played 2 defensive wingers today but is that optimal going forward? Not sold tbh.
I know you're old and have a tendency to only remember recent events but i can't think of times ziebell has been torched for speed back there. Today he was outworked a couple of times.

It's hard to assess because we are clearly making do at the moment with what we've got. If best 22 are available we don't have walker or atley back there and the ability to cover goes up 10 fold with tarrant, corr, and lmac teaming up with mckay, hall, ziebell - potentially perez, bonar and turner depending in matchups

Our pressure was quite poor early on, was compounded by our poor skill use.

I don't think we can kick into the corridor when we chip it around the back half, everyone is flat footed and we try and pinpoint a pass into the corridor. When we are on the rebound and players are in motion and we aren't just sitting under the ball, then you can go into the corridor. That was the main difference between the last quarter and the first three.

We need to do better in terms of tackling and harassing.

McKay was great, pantsed King. Thomas looked really dangerous when the game opened up.
Scott did a great defensive roll on Hill.

Ziebell's two goals still makes me feel he would have more impact up forward than down back. I like his ability to hit targets by foot down back but our defending is a bit suspect.

I can see what we are trying to do but i think when we in the back half we need to be prepared to run and take the game on by hand to open it up before we go with the high risk kick. We just need to persist because it is part a turnover of players that needs to happen and part just continuity and getting some experience as a group playing together.

I think it is poor not having Xerri in the side, we need another marking target, can't keep going up the line with such a short side.

You’d have to think Xerri is a guaranteed addition after the bye. Surely.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is an issue when it clicks and we move forward with purpose only to crash against the stagnant rocks that are in our forward line.

I thought Larkey was significantly better today. I only saw him get caught behind his opponent once and he attacked the ball with purpose. Zurhaar too, he's been much improved the last month. It's not all bad (...I hope)

I know you're old and have a tendency to only remember recent events but i can't think of times ziebell has been torched for speed back there. Today he was outworked a couple of times.

It's hard to assess because we are clearly making do at the moment with what we've got. If best 22 are available we don't have walker or atley back there and the ability to cover goes up 10 fold with tarrant, corr, and lmac teaming up with mckay, hall, ziebell - potentially perez, bonar and turner depending in matchups

Be nice to have a back 6 with McKay, Corr, McDonald, Tarrant, Bonar and Perez. Bring on 2022

I find myself getting very angry with Jy and LDU during the games. However, after every game, I can always see their improvement. They’re increasingly impacting games every week. My expectations are way too high and unfair during a game because I get ridiculously intensely involved. I can tell I’m not alone. 🤣

I find myself getting very angry with Jy and LDU during the games. However, after every game, I can always see their improvement. They’re increasingly impacting games every week. My expectations are way too high and unfair during a game because I get ridiculously intensely involved. I can tell I’m not alone. 🤣

Spot on. I had to really adjust my expectations (particularly on LDU).

A lot of hype during preseason hasn’t helped, but the reality is that he’s improved in every facet of his game this year and is only 21 with 38 odd games under his belt.

I’ve seen some s**t football over the years but I’m struggling to remember anything as bad as that. Problem is, I’m not even upset, just resigned to the facts.

And the facts, we’ve got 4 of our first 6 defenders out. If anyone thinks JZ or Ats is a defender then they are ******* stupid.

Rattan knew it and he got King to give up is game and take our only defender out of the game. The Saints were putrid but our defenders were worse.

I thought Larkey was significantly better today. I only saw him get caught behind his opponent once and he attacked the ball with purpose. Zurhaar too, he's been much improved the last month. It's not all bad (...I hope)

Was more commentary for the whole season.

Our forward line is largely dysfunctional. We statistically had les I50s per goal today so that is something, but jeez we do things the hard way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rattan knew it and he got King to give up is game and take our only defender out of the game. The Saints were putrid but our defenders were worse.

I didn't watch all of today. I missed bits of the second and third because I could.

THe defensive system seems a bit frayed. Predictable slow and vulnerable to quick forward movement.

I didn't watch all of today. I missed bits of the second and third because I could.

THe defensive system seems a bit frayed. Predictable slow and vulnerable to quick forward movement.
We had one great passage of play we’re JZ hit up a 40 mtr pass up the middle. I reckon it was the only time he kicked it forward more than 20 Myra. He always looks for the easy sideways or short option and rarely gives us anything going forward.

Isn’t really surprising.

McKay’s played 20 games, Hall & Ziebell have 11 games as defenders, Atley is well Atley, Menadue/Young are depth players, Turners a good lockdown player but hasn’t spent more then 10 games in defence.

Tarrant, Corr & McDonald are our most experienced defenders & Bonar is arguably our most promising young defender behind McKay.

We had one great passage of play we’re JZ hit up a 40 mtr pass up the middle. I reckon it was the only time he kicked it forward more than 20 Myra. He always looks for the easy sideways or short option and rarely gives us anything going forward.

he did kick it through the goals twice from 50 out but I take your point.

If David Noble isn’t good enough to coach North, who is?

I doubt the club has any intention of moving him on any time soon.

The down turn was expected and it has been compounded by injuries.

I'd suggest we are looking for a brisbanesque time line of improvement.

he did kick it through the goals twice from 50 out but I take your point.
Which shows what a good kick he can be. But he’s just limited as a footballer and we need to face some home truths. Guys like JZ, Ats and Campbell aren’t going to take us to the promised land. If we’re going to lose to teams as bad as the Saints were today we may as well be playing Xerri and WiPi.

I’ve seen some sh*t football over the years but I’m struggling to remember anything as bad as that. Problem is, I’m not even upset, just resigned to the facts.

And the facts, we’ve got 4 of our first 6 defenders out. If anyone thinks JZ or Ats is a defender then they are ******* stupid.

Lol "got King to give up to take out our best defender"

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s as bad as we’ve played this year. Man, how bad are the Saints?

Anyway, there’s no point in calling for wholesale changes because we know the cupboard is bare.

Having said that, and this is my opinion only, these are the guys that played today that I don’t think can or will make it in any significant fashion:

Mahony
Taylor
Campbell
Walker
Young
Menadue

Guys we probably need to start squeezing out:

Turner
Dumont
Garner (who I love, but it’s clear he’s not going to play another 150 games)

Once we start having guys in the AFL who have earned their spot, then it’ll be easier rate overall performances.

LDU and Jy can both kick, I've seen it. Too often though they don't execute
Jy yes, he seems to be rushed often, but he also can be lazy with his ball drop.

ldu, when he has time and space and concentrates on the drop, almost always misses the target. His kicking for goal is also dire.

My question is will we have fine enough development and refreshed the list enough to be worth going after him? Otherwise it will pan out like Judd to Carlton or ablett to suns did.

Could happen I guess, he’s 26 know so if we thought we could compete from 2023 season that would have him at 28 as the run of competing started.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back