Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that Jon O’Rourke in the middle?

Yep, Suckers, Hodgey and Doc are there, Kyle Cheney is there, have seen Jono Simpkin at a few Hawk events on Insta.

Hale there as well.

Grimley and Luke Lowden bob up from time to time.

Even when guys move on they seem to remain part of the group, great the boys have such a great bond.

OK.. I am gonna come right out and say it...

Axeman... I am dying for your New Year's team reviews, thoughts, insights, amazing feats of skill and of course, false hopes...

.. Please
I Will be reporting for duty at the very first session they are back in Jan.

Love this. What’s the chances that Tom takes it to a new level this year?
We can dream! He can't work harder but with guidance from Sammy he, and the rest of the midfield group, may be able to work smarter. Worpel seems to relish stoppage grunt work, which may enable to rest Tom in a quarter back type role for a few minutes a quarter.

Even CD, who generally underrate Tom, say that he picked up his game in the second part of 2018. If he doesn't have to be at every clearance he may be even more influential, but with less possessions. Especially if Sammy can teach him to use long clearing handballs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading Sam's book, I would say that being an on-field leader (bringing team-mates into the game and making calls on match-ups or strategies) is what Tom should be talking to Sam about. Tom's skills, running and ability to deal with tags are already at the highest level. No doubt he'll be looking for tips anywhere he can, but for Tommy leadership is the next step.

After reading Sam's book, I would say that being an on-field leader (bringing team-mates into the game and making calls on match-ups or strategies) is what Tom should be talking to Sam about. Tom's skills, running and ability to deal with tags are already at the highest level. No doubt he'll be looking for tips anywhere he can, but for Tommy leadership is the next step.

I also feel with TOM that he often gets the ball and immediately looks wide or backwards, when he could possibly move the ball forward himself. Will be very interesting to see how his game improves udner Mitch.

I also feel with TOM that he often gets the ball and immediately looks wide or backwards, when he could possibly move the ball forward himself. Will be very interesting to see how his game improves udner Mitch.
Sammy says he probably played his best footy with his back to attacking 50, setting us up. But it's true they're not exactly the same player. Tom doesn't have a lot of acceleration but it's often enough to get into space and he's a decent kick from 50.

Mostly I just can't wait to see our midfield next year. The idea of Tom Mitchell, Tom Scully, Chad Wingard and Jaeger O'Meara playing together for the next few years is quite unreal. Imagine having that info circa 2014 I think my head would've exploded.

Sammy says he probably played his best footy with his back to attacking 50, setting us up. But it's true they're not exactly the same player. Tom doesn't have a lot of acceleration but it's often enough to get into space and he's a decent kick from 50.

Mostly I just can't wait to see our midfield next year. The idea of Tom Mitchell, Tom Scully, Chad Wingard and Jaeger O'Meara playing together for the next few years is quite unreal. Imagine having that info circa 2014 I think my head would've exploded.

Along with Issie Smith and Worps... I'M EXCITED !!!!!!!

Sam had supreme kicking skills and could easily read the play and how it was and could unfold. Tom could improve his kicking (Sam had to himself) but I'm not sure he's capable of reading the play as well as Sam.

Tom is currently in his element. If we can get Cogs in there too in 2020 alongside O'Meara then it's going to be an amazing combination. Wingard, Worpel and Shiels great rotations to have through there too.

Sam had supreme kicking skills and could easily read the play and how it was and could unfold. Tom could improve his kicking (Sam had to himself) but I'm not sure he's capable of reading the play as well as Sam.

Tom is currently in his element. If we can get Cogs in there too in 2020 alongside O'Meara then it's going to be an amazing combination. Wingard, Worpel and Shiels great rotations to have through there too.

Operation: Get Cogs.

The ground appears to have been resurfaced. Looks like you could eat breakfast off it but large fence up around the whole ground and no posts so not this week at Waverley I wouldn’t think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back