Rumour Beams move back to Collingwood

ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When "mental health issue" is used without specifying the condition like those that have suffered from depression often do then the perception is going to be that it is a cover for something more sinister that could technically come under the "mental health" barrier.

Sydney were one of the early proponents of this shit when Buddy missed the 2015 finals campaign. The perception was the use of drugs then just like it is assumed that gambling is involved with Beams here.

I feel sad for those with mental health issues that need time off from the game that will face the stigma from those that use it as a shield. There is too much smoke to not perceive "mental health issue" to have not been used to shield something more sinister on at least one or more occasions in the last few years.

Heck it has even got to the point where I recall a journalist implying that it really was a mental health issue with Jack Steven rather than a "mental health issue". Sorry for no link with that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mazza1234678

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Must really have some demons inside him not just in relation to the gambling, but depression and fu** knows what

Gotta feel for him on some level

But seriously these trolls who are taking pot shots at the bloke on twitter deserve a death sentence

fu** knows the bloke doesn’t need to be kicked while he is down

Let him be and the truth will come out eventually no doubt like ox, guerra, etc

Shaq attack

All Australian
Oct 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Seems like a pretty messed up dude! Loved him as a Lion and was annoyed he left in the way he did but all the speculation around Eddie paying his debt makes a bit more sense.

Hope he gets himself right and stays off the punt because he is a gun.

TheExtractorFactor

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Knicks // NY Giants
Losing large sums of money and not being able to stop or control your behaviour is a mental health issue whether you like it or not. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. If Beams or people close to him do not wish for this to be made public, for whatever reason, I do not see the harm in the media honouring this request. Not sure why people always want blood or to see someone laid completely bare when they are at their most vulnerable.

ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Losing large sums of money and not being able to stop or control your behaviour is a mental health issue whether you like it or not. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. If Beams or people close to him do not wish for this to be made public, for whatever reason, I do not see the harm in the media honouring this request. Not sure why people always want blood or to see someone laid completely bare when they are at their most vulnerable.
If a player is running up huge gambling debts especially with debts to some rougher sources then they can become compromised when on the field because they have too many incentives to engage in conduct that may amount to spot fixing etc. It is in the public interest if this is the case with Beams for this to not be covered up and for the AFL to actually do something about it.

TheExtractorFactor

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Knicks // NY Giants
If a player is running up huge gambling debts especially with debts to some rougher sources then they can become compromised when on the field because they have too many incentives to engage in conduct that may amount to spot fixing etc. It is in the public interest if this is the case with Beams for this to not be covered up and for the AFL to actually do something about it.
Journalists also have a duty of care. Would you write the story if you had been told doing so could result in something serious happening to the subject?

I don't know if that has happened and you don't know if the above scenario you outlined has, this is all just guesswork. I just think it's best to leave the guy alone and let him talk if and when he feels comfortable. Making public the details of a situation that is high pressure has potentially shocking consequences

(Log in to remove this ad.)

iBeng

Intentionally left blank
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Saying Mental Health reasons is literally putting blood into the water for AFL Journalists and analytics.

In all likelihood it is just that. He has depression/demons to deal with and he doesnt want to be in the spotlight.

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah but people with mental health issues often develop addictions as coping strategies. That’s the point.
A nicotine addiction is low on the list of coping strategies for those with mental health issues and often the least of theirs (and the professionals treating them), priorities.

Smoocher

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2013
Sporting capital of the world
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Magpies
Just another footballer with a low IQ who can’t control a bad habit.

To call it a mental health issue is a slap in the face to those with real mental health issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheExtractorFactor

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Knicks // NY Giants
Just another footballer with a low IQ who can’t control a bad habit.

To call it a mental health issue is a slap in the face to those with real mental health issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn't know you were the arbiter on what constitutes a 'real' mental health issue. Congratulations on the appointment. If you could provide me a list which I can refer to in the future that would be great.

TaylorMade

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any journalist who accepts this 'mental health' story at face value is not really a journalist, they're an AFL PR spokesman. Grow a pair and do your job.
What do you suggest they do?

Follow him around and uncover every aspect of his private life and then publicly shame him?

Go and grab yourself a copy of Woman's Day mate.

Top Bottom