Hawthorn
Racism
Harry McKay
News relating to any of the above

What you may not do in this thread:

Troll
Abuse other posters
Anything else that breaks the following set(s) of rules:

We're entering a very busy period on this board with the draft and player movement periods fast approaching.

Us board mods have a lot on our plates and whilst we do not want to, we are not going to hesitate to infract or hand out board bans for repeat offenders. Please do not force our hands here.

Thank you.

Carlton gave Zac Williams 5 years for 4.5m and it hasn't hindered the ability to retain any of there stars.

Whatever Hawthorn or Essendon offer McKay it will be heavily front loaded so when the time comes to resign our young stars his deal with level out to less than 600k a year.

You are getting potentially your CHB for the next 6 years without giving up any picks.

So whoever gets him is a big winner

No, absolutely not. 100% disagree that hawks win this. Only North and Ben win this.

Carlton will have the issues in the next 2-3 years. Save this post. The aim for them though is to nab a flag before it hits.

Essendon are going nowhere near a flag in 2-3 years, paying stupid money for one player who is bog average does nothing for us. It moves us from a D grade defence to a C grade defence. Who cares?

Imagine when Nic Martin comes off his contract and sees *in Ben Mckay walking around on 800k a year lol. We have plenty of young kids coming off contract who we will want to lock away for a long time.

The one and only time i would back us to sign an average player like this is if it was the piece of the puzzle that puts us in a premiership window. Essendon has far deeper issues than defence and spending stupid money to pluig one out iof 10 holes is just stupid business.

My narrative was that unlike McKay who is a free hit you traded a first round pick for Polec.

So you can't compare the two deals.

thats fine,.

your narrative is not mine.

RE the trade details you are right. But that wasn't my point so agree to disagree

No, absolutely not. 100% disagree that hawks win this. Only North and Ben win this.

Carlton will have the issues in the next 2-3 years. Save this post. The aim for them though is to nab a flag before it hits.

Essendon are going nowhere near a flag in 2-3 years, paying stupid money for one player who is bog average does nothing for us. It moves us from a D grade defence to a C grade defence. Who cares?

Imagine when Nic Martin comes off his contract and sees *in Ben Mckay walking around on 800k a year lol. We have plenty of young kids coming off contract who we will want to lock away for a long time.

The one and only time i would back us to sign an average player like this is if it was the piece of the puzzle that puts us in a premiership window. Essendon has far deeper issues than defence and spending stupid money to pluig one out iof 10 holes is just stupid business.
Isn't the cap space increasing a bit? I don't think it will be that much of an issue

Whilst we definitely could use him I'm glad we haven't got a player of his calibre on 5+ years and 800k+ on our list. So pretty happy in the end, Not like we would be contending next year if we got him.

McKay ain't no world beater but he will free up Sicily.

It's a free hit that allows us to use all of our draft capital to address our forward line.

We'll front load the deal to ensure when players like Newcombe, Day, Lewis etc need big pay risers his deal will level out.
800 a year ain't a free hit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather 800k a year then bringing in a similar player at 700k a year and trading a 1st for him.

We have millions in capspace, we paid combined 750k for O'Meara & Mitchell to play for other clubs this year.

Front load the deal and year 3 onwards it will be 600k a year.

Noone would pay a 1st for a McKay level player. Noone at all.

Today its Hawthorn tomorrow it might be Essendon who is favourite for his signature.

Whoever is leaking isnt doing a good job of it.

But if a leak is generally real then there would be noise in official media as well. While Essendon and Hawthorn have a need and the salary cap room, spending that much on McKay seems a little crazy. After letting BZT and Stewart go Essendon will be a bit of a hole defensively if they don't get him. McKay buys us 3 or 4 years to develop Reid, Cox, and Hayes. However, a 7 or 8-year deal is plain crazy for someone who has a record of injuries. I mean is 70 games a fair tally for someone drafted 7 years ago?

You are supposed to sign your home grown players for unders. They buy into what you're building and understand signing a quality player for 0 draft assets helps them move towards their goals. Richmond and Geelong did this perfectly signing Lynch and Cameron at the top of their games.

People have been saying Carlton would have issues for years. All of their quality players are locked away on long term deals despite these predictions.

If you are using your salary cap space on paying your own overs you're doing it wrong. Every club gets one first round pick per year, free agency and trading is the way to get ahead. I don't know why you wouldn't want a quality KPD for free when you would be struggling to meet the minimum as it is.

But if a leak is generally real then there would be noise in official media as well. While Essendon and Hawthorn have a need and the salary cap room, spending that much on McKay seems a little crazy. After letting BZT and Stewart go Essendon will be a bit of a hole defensively if they don't get him. McKay buys us 3 or 4 years to develop Reid, Cox, and Hayes. However, a 7 or 8-year deal is plain crazy for someone who has a record of injuries. I mean is 70 games a fair tally for someone drafted 7 years ago?

I think its been the most peculiar trade target in years.

Perhaps a sign of things to come as talent is spread to thin in the comp?

But yer FA landscape is uhh definitely shifting.

more like 4-4.2 for 6 yrs
First 3 yrs will avg over 850K, so should get Band 1 compo for North and in return for delivering Pick 3, North trade their F2 and pick 39 for Frost.

Would assume Benny Boy is getting 1.2m for 1st yr

Loading contracts doesn’t come into compo.

The above is $700k per season.

No chance when multiple journo’s have said that the Sydney offer was well above $800 and possibly not even the biggest offer.

If you can save trading and keep your picks in the draft and front load a contract for a KPD that you'll have for the next 6 or 7 years it's a no brainer. You do realise you have to pay a minimum salary cap?
No s**t.
All I'm saying is I can think of a fair few players I'd rather fork out that sort of money for.

Would you play Blanck with Mckay, or go a bit smaller with greater rebound?
Blanck and McKay surely. Most teams do have two players you need to defend with talls. It let's us leave Frost as a VFL player in case of injuries.

I don't like it, but here we are.

There are always good state league key defenders that only cost a rookie or MSD pick if your recruiters can find them. Spending big capital on them is almost always a mistake (unless they are May).
If Essendon miss out hope we are looking at state leagues there is bound to some one just as good as Mckay. the thing with rookie and msd picks is they will be desprate for a shot in the AFL

Back