Hawthorn
Racism
Harry McKay
News relating to any of the above

What you may not do in this thread:

Troll
Abuse other posters
Anything else that breaks the following set(s) of rules:

We're entering a very busy period on this board with the draft and player movement periods fast approaching.

Us board mods have a lot on our plates and whilst we do not want to, we are not going to hesitate to infract or hand out board bans for repeat offenders. Please do not force our hands here.

Thank you.

Dogs wanted him in the past, I'd expect them to make another play for him.

I dunno about that, I think Busslinger will be a good solid defender for the Dogs, feel like you should spend your available cap space elsewhere bolstering your midfield (the departure of Dunkley will hurt)

I dunno about that, I think Busslinger will be a good solid defender for the Dogs, feel like you should spend your available cap space elsewhere bolstering your midfield (the departure of Dunkley will hurt)
McLean, West and Garcia will step in and replace Dunks. This is probably Keath's last year with us due to age profile, we need a solid 22-25 ready to go KPD to replace him.

Buss is a complete twig, he'll be awhile away yet.

I agree that losing Dunkley is going to be a step backwards for the Dogs but they will have a season to figure that out prior to making a commitment to McKay, I disagree that Busslinger will be the sort of player a side in their finals window would seek to make list management decisions around - he could be in three years and he could be from round one this year, but he is currently a child who needs to establish himself and the Dogs want to be competitive as possible.

They aren't going to lose Jedd by bringing in McKay, but they might win more games in 2024 onwards by having Ben over Busslinger in the side and that's what is most important.

The biggest risk would be that Naughton as a free agent is shaken loose.

The window with Busslinger and Darcy as they driving talls is away in the future.

McLean, West and Garcia will step in and replace Dunks. This is probably Keath's last year with us due to age profile, we need a solid 22-25 ready to go KPD to replace him.

Buss is a complete twig, he'll be awhile away yet.
Keath is 31 years would think he will have a few years left in him

Dogs wanted him in the past, I'd expect them to make another play for him.
Wouldn't surprise me if we threw big dollars at him. Don't think I have ever heard him speak so not sure if has made noise about moving before.

From rumblings I've heard the only likely option outside of re signing with North is joining his brother at the Blues. Apparently we are anticipating that TDK may be out the door so have some free space for Ben.

If he's able to attract band 1 compo for North I think they'd let him walk if he was to request a trade but teams like the Blues, Geelong, Dogs etc who would be looking at him wouldn't have that much cap space to throw around.

The other issue is Lewis Young's breakout, he was fantastic last year and although not as strong as McKay a very high quality 2nd fiddle to Weiteirng. If McKay did join the Blues would they fit Weitering McKay and Young in the same backline? Or would one them have to play purely as a 3rd tall interceptor?

From rumblings I've heard the only likely option outside of re signing with North is joining his brother at the Blues. Apparently we are anticipating that TDK may be out the door so have some free space for Ben.

If he's able to attract band 1 compo for North I think they'd let him walk if he was to request a trade but teams like the Blues, Geelong, Dogs etc who would be looking at him wouldn't have that much cap space to throw around.

The other issue is Lewis Young's breakout, he was fantastic last year and although not as strong as McKay a very high quality 2nd fiddle to Weiteirng. If McKay did join the Blues would they fit Weitering McKay and Young in the same backline? Or would one them have to play purely as a 3rd tall interceptor?

Dogs are surprisingly good for cap space. Hunter had a decent contract, we had a fair but put aside for Dunkley, and JJ has come to the end of his big expensive contract and re-signed for much less. The issue is that we seem to not want to spend up big on one player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a huge get for the Blues. McKay is a big chance to be the number 1 intercept defender in 2023. Weitering and McKay would challenge May and Lever as the best defensive duo.

I think that at any price that he can get on the market North would prefer to pay McKay than have him walk and get band 1 compo in return.

He is a great player.
No doubt they'd prefer him to stay, a lot will depend on how North go this year imo though. The main thing with is is that teams aren't going to offer a better deal than potentially a pick as low as 3 like band 1 compo could get them.

If ever a trade request was to happen now would be the time... North are years away from success and by the time the young crop come through Ben will be nearing 30. Harry is signed long term at the Blues and our list is primed for a tilt at it over the next 4-5 years with the majority of our stars entering their prime years which lines up with Ben and Harry's too.

A very good player regardless and if he does leave North will fight tooth and nail to keep him

If Geelong can outbid North on McKay then the salary cap is officially broken

Its not really. We are likely to have a fair lot of retirements at the end of this year (hawkins smith tuohy rohan stanley ceglar menegola all possibles) so that opens up a lot of cap and we will have more retirements in the next 2-3 years. If he goes on a 5 year backloaded deal just about any club could fit him in the cap its simple math.

Geelong are chasing TDK.

As for mckay i dont see him leaving north unless another club offers 800k. In which case they will get band 1. If that works out to be a top 5 pick theres no benefit to them in matching.

Geelong are chasing TDK.

As for mckay i dont see him leaving north unless another club offers 800k. In which case they will get band 1. If that works out to be a top 5 pick theres no benefit to them in matching.
Yes unfortunately we know about TDK,
Biggest factor imo would be whether Carlton could structure a deal to get North band 1 compo. If it's only band 2 they will be matching no doubt about it.

I think that at any price that he can get on the market North would prefer to pay McKay than have him walk and get band 1 compo in return.

He is a great player.

Agreed that he's fantastic, but is he Pick 1 or 2 level? Because that's a definite possibility if you guys finish Bottom 2 again this year and a club offers Band 1 - which is also very likely given he's probably the best OOC defender on the market this year.

I'd have him as a Top 10 pick, but a Pick 1 or 2 in this draft - that could be a generational player. I reckon you guys wouldn't pass that up, despite how good Ben is.

If North could get band 1 compo for McKay they would push him out the door.

Doubt it. Draft picks are nice but they are not everything.

McKay is a very important piece of their present, and for their future.

If North could get band 1 compo for McKay they would push him out the door.

Comes down to whom Clarkson can bring onboard. Griffin Logue came in this year.

Let's say they can get 1 or 2 more defenders at the end of 2023 and at the same time McKay leaving gets a band 1, that's a win-win.

They don't want to play together.

Back