Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Robertson will be slightly ahead of Matho in the pecking order due to his versatility, elite running and rapid improvement in the last 12 months

I agree Robertson is ahead of Matho and Cutler in the order. Not long ago i ranked Cutler as the most important player on our list. Real shame he hasn't turned into that dashing 100 metre half back flanker. It is what we need

Nice team. Only change i would have is Lewy instead of Robertson and play Cutler back. It's not that I don't like Robbo just think there are better players. Last year v the Saints we would have won if they didn't have Nick R and Joey M so I am super confident!
We all have different ideas....
I prefer Mathieson over Lester and given his good 2nd half of season, Basti over Cutler. Also gives us greater depth in midfield rotations.

Will be interesting to see the average age of some of these best 22. I doubt we would be the youngest, especially with Hodge, Cameron, Robinson, and Christensen included when we didn't have them last year. I don't think we should be in the bottom 4 this season, injuries aside

I agree Robertson is ahead of Matho and Cutler in the order. Not long ago i ranked Cutler as the most important player on our list. Real shame he hasn't turned into that dashing 100 metre half back flanker. It is what we need
Couldn't break his way out of a wet paper bag. Needs some mongel and desire to win the hard ball. At our stage of team development we can't consistently win the ball out to those pure outside players.

Nice team. Only change i would have is Lewy instead of Robertson and play Cutler back. It's not that I don't like Robbo just think there are better players. Last year v the Saints we would have won if they didn't have Nick R and Joey M so I am super confident!
Fun fact, the saints lost all five games that Riewoldt didn't play in last year.

Fun fact, the saints lost all five games that Riewoldt didn't play in last year.

In the end though, they've trained all pre season to play without them so it won't be the same as those games last year.

Lions by 60.

Could still take time for those new plans to come together, round one is the best time to get them.

100% agree. We nearly pipped them last year when their team was better. We'v taken a step on paper so if we're on come round 1 the Saints should worry.

Yeah we r certainly improving in depth thru some astute clearing n delistings to make way for new blood n revitalising the club.

B: Gardiner Andrews Hodge
HB: Witherden McStay Mayes
C: Mccluggage Beams Rich
HF: Cutler Walker Christensen
F: Cameron Hipwood Robinson
R: Martin Zorko Berry
I: Robertson Taylor Lester Rayner

Robinson, Christensen and Cameron are going to wreak havoc on opposition defenders. The inclusion of those 3 is immense.

This is close.

B: Robertson Andrews Hodge
HB: Witherden McStay Mayes
C: Mccluggage Beams Rich
HF: Taylor Walker Christensen
F: Cameron Hipwood Robinson
R: Martin Zorko Berry
I: Lester Rayner ? ?

Gardiner & Cutler are the TBC.
This two spots could go lots of ways.
The other 20 are pretty much a lock.

Round 1,
Gardiner, andrews, hodge
Witherden, walker, rich
Mcluggage, zorko, mayes
Christensen, m robbo, cameron
Taylor, hipwood, barret/rayner
Martin, beams, berry
Matho, bastinac, mcstay, n robbo

Plenty of mid field rotations, good pace n chase up front, variety of talls front and back with walker n mcstay. Id like to see that team run around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of sides listed in this thread do not include Basti. I know it is hard to squeeze everyone in, however, if he can maintain the form he showed in the second half of last year or even improve further he won't spend much time in the NEAFL that's for sure. He held his spot in the senior side for the final 13 games of last year and kicked 16 goals over that period. Proved to be a consistent, handy role player. With 159 games under his belt and his good foot skills I think Fagan will want him playing senior's.

B Gardiner Andrews Rich
HB Mayes McStay Hodge
C Cameron Mathieson Taylor
HF McCluggage Hipwood Rayner
F Christensen Walker Robinson
R Martin Beams Zorko
I Berry Witherden Bastinac Robertson.

The above is my best 22, however, I think there are 5 players(Who I've listed below) who will be knocking on the door week after week and any 5 of them could easily line up in Round 1. Note: They are all midfielders/flankers as I believe our key position players are all cemented in the best 22 at this stage(Martin, Andrews, McStay, Hipwood and Walker).

Ryan Lester- FWIW I actually think come Round 1 he'll be named in the senior side and rightfully so as he is a terrific leader and proved last year that he can be a very handy player with his versatility and his ability to step up in key moments with a big contested mark, a crucial clearance or a steadying goal. A very calm presence on the field and if he does ever find himself in the reserves it should only take him a week or two to force his way back in. I guess you'd replace Basti or NRobbo with him in my listed side but I guess his like for like would be Rayner in that mid sized forward/pinch hitting in the midfield role and I went with Rayner simply due to him being a far superior talent and someone who I suspect the coaches will want to pump games into.

Tom Cutler- Looks primed for a positional change on the half forward flank/wing? Played that role against the Dockers last year and contributed very nicely with 19 disposals, 10 marks and 3 goals. Has the ability to be a very good player in that role, he can take a mark, he's got that pace and attacking flair and he's actually quite an accurate kick in front of goals. Kicked some very nice long range goals in AFLX and will have a chance in the JLT to earn a spot for Round 1. Competition in this role is fierce with the likes of Cameron, Taylor, Christensen and McCluggage playing similar roles but Cutler is one of the more talented players on our list and if he can find some consistency in this role he could end up having a break out year and establishing himself as one of our better players.

Cedric Cox- Speaking of one of the more talented players on our list, Cox is blessed with a multitude of elite qualities on field that should see him play plenty of senior games this year. I think there is too much competition for him to earn a Round 1 spot, however, he definitely has the talent to do so and who knows, if he has a big JLT series he might just sneak in. Adds speed and elite kicking skills to the side which fits Fages game plan perfectly plus he is a ferocious tackler. Will still need to play reserves games to develop other aspects of his game and continue working on his endurance.

Zac Bailey- A talented 1st year midfielder who will probably need to build his endurance base in the reserves, however, his strengths are his contested ball winning and pace and we aren't exactly flushed with players who have that particular skill/athletic combination. As a result I expect the match committee will be keen to give him exposure at senior level. Round 1 might be a bridge too far, however, again, with a big JLT series, if he out performs guys like Matho/Witho/Basti he might earn a spot.

Jake Barrett- 17 games last year and 15 goals. Unfortunately for Barrett, I think the inclusions of Christensen, Robinson, Cameron and Rayner will make it very hard for him to earn a senior spot in 2018, however, with inevitable injuries/suspensions(touch wood) he is the kind of reliable, consistent performer who will continually knock on the door for senior selection. He'll play senior footy this year but he'd need to improve dramatically to play as frequently as he did last year.

Exciting times ahead for us Lions fans with the talented group of 27 players listed above.

Bell, Bewick, Lyons, Keays, Allison and Starcevich are all likely to keep those in the senior side honest with consistent NEAFL performances as well I'd imagine. That gives us 33 players capable of playing at senior level and playing well, albeit some at a higher standard with more consistency than others obviously. Our depth in the midfield/flanks bats relatively deep now but we are light on for proven KPP depth imo and that is where we could be exposed with a tough injury run.

Overall though this is the most excited I've been about a Lions season in a long time. We have so much talent now and a nice mix of quality experience and promising youth. I'd love for 2-3 players on our list to step up and become consistent, genuine A graders alongside Beams/Zorko/Andrews. I think the likes of Hipwood, McStay, Cameron, Cutler and Berry/Clugga/Witherden have the ability to do this. Perhaps Bundy as well if given a fair go at it.

A lot of sides listed in this thread do not include Basti. I know it is hard to squeeze everyone in, however, if he can maintain the form he showed in the second half of last year or even improve further he won't spend much time in the NEAFL that's for sure. He held his spot in the senior side for the final 13 games of last year and kicked 16 goals over that period. Proved to be a consistent, handy role player. With 159 games under his belt and his good foot skills I think Fagan will want him playing senior's.

B Gardiner Andrews Rich
HB Mayes McStay Hodge
R Martin Beams Zorko

The above is my best 22, however, I think there are 5 players(Who I've listed below) who will be knocking on the door week after week and any 5 of them could easily line up in Round 1. Note: They are all midfielders/flankers as I believe our key position players are all cemented in the best 22 at this stage(Martin, Andrews, McStay, Hipwood and Walker).

Ryan Lester- FWIW I actually think come Round 1 he'll be named in the senior side and rightfully so as he is a terrific leader and proved last year that he can be a very handy player with his versatility and his ability to step up in key moments with a big contested mark, a crucial clearance or a steadying goal. A very calm presence on the field and if he does ever find himself in the reserves it should only take him a week or two to force his way back in. I guess you'd replace Basti or NRobbo with him in my listed side but I guess his like for like would be Rayner in that mid sized forward/pinch hitting in the midfield role and I went with Rayner simply due to him being a far superior talent and someone who I suspect the coaches will want to pump games into.

Tom Cutler- Looks primed for a positional change on the half forward flank/wing? Played that role against the Dockers last year and contributed very nicely with 19 disposals, 10 marks and 3 goals. Has the ability to be a very good player in that role, he can take a mark, he's got that pace and attacking flair and he's actually quite an accurate kick in front of goals. Kicked some very nice long range goals in AFLX and will have a chance in the JLT to earn a spot for Round 1. Competition in this role is fierce with the likes of Cameron, Taylor, Christensen and McCluggage playing similar roles but Cutler is one of the more talented players on our list and if he can find some consistency in this role he could end up having a break out year and establishing himself as one of our better players.

Cedric Cox- Speaking of one of the more talented players on our list, Cox is blessed with a multitude of elite qualities on field that should see him play plenty of senior games this year. I think there is too much competition for him to earn a Round 1 spot, however, he definitely has the talent to do so and who knows, if he has a big JLT series he might just sneak in. Adds speed and elite kicking skills to the side which fits Fages game plan perfectly plus he is a ferocious tackler. Will still need to play reserves games to develop other aspects of his game and continue working on his endurance.

Zac Bailey- A talented 1st year midfielder who will probably need to build his endurance base in the reserves, however, his strengths are his contested ball winning and pace and we aren't exactly flushed with players who have that particular skill/athletic combination. As a result I expect the match committee will be keen to give him exposure at senior level. Round 1 might be a bridge too far, however, again, with a big JLT series, if he out performs guys like Matho/Witho/Basti he might earn a spot.

Jake Barrett- 17 games last year and 15 goals. Unfortunately for Barrett, I think the inclusions of Christensen, Robinson, Cameron and Rayner will make it very hard for him to earn a senior spot in 2018, however, with inevitable injuries/suspensions(touch wood) he is the kind of reliable, consistent performer who will continually knock on the door for senior selection. He'll play senior footy this year but he'd need to improve dramatically to play as frequently as he did last year.

Exciting times ahead for us Lions fans with the talented group of 27 players listed above.

Bell, Bewick, Lyons, Keays, Allison and Starcevich are all likely to keep those in the senior side honest with consistent NEAFL performances as well I'd imagine. That gives us 33 players capable of playing at senior level and playing well, albeit some at a higher standard with more consistency than others obviously. Our depth in the midfield/flanks bats relatively deep now but we are light on for proven KPP depth imo and that is where we could be exposed with a tough injury run.

Overall though this is the most excited I've been about a Lions season in a long time. We have so much talent now and a nice mix of quality experience and promising youth. I'd love for 2-3 players on our list to step up and become consistent, genuine A graders alongside Beams/Zorko/Andrews. I think the likes of Hipwood, McStay, Cameron, Cutler and Berry/Clugga/Witherden have the ability to do this. Perhaps Bundy as well if given a fair go at it.

Top post, LS.

Personally, I'd say Lester could start ahead of Rayner, and let Rayner be the one to force his way into the side through the NEAFL. I think with Walker spending some time in the ruck, and hopefully Hipwood roaming up the ground when needed, another player who can take a mark in the forward 50 is what's needed.

I had time to kill before my flight so decided to check out the AFLX replays- you can really see Baileys natural talent shining through - a lot more than I noticed live to be honest. His fitness to have an impact in that last game is really impressive too. Can't wait for the JLT!

Top post, LS.

Personally, I'd say Lester could start ahead of Rayner, and let Rayner be the one to force his way into the side through the NEAFL. I think with Walker spending some time in the ruck, and hopefully Hipwood roaming up the ground when needed, another player who can take a mark in the forward 50 is what's needed.
Yeah I think if it came down to a choice between Lester and Rayner the coaches would go with Lester as he is rated very highly by the match committee. I think they're both likely to be named though with someone like Basti missing out instead. Seems like the first time in a long time we'll have genuinely talented/quality players missing out(Subject to us having a full list to choose from obviously which is of course unsustainable over the course of a full season).

Round 1,
Gardiner, andrews, hodge
Witherden, walker, rich
Mcluggage, zorko, mayes
Christensen, m robbo, cameron
Taylor, hipwood, barret/rayner
Martin, beams, berry
Matho, bastinac, mcstay, n robbo

Plenty of mid field rotations, good pace n chase up front, variety of talls front and back with walker n mcstay. Id like to see that team run around.
I like it......a more robust forward line n if we need to go taller we get McStay off the bench. Backline looking more agile as well. N Robbo to rotate in the back line or tag if needed. Matho n Basti for midfield/forward rotations........how can we lose?

B Gardiner Andrews Rich
HB Mayes McStay Hodge
R Martin Beams Zorko

I dont think Robertson, Bastinac,Mayes and Lester would need to have two downers in a row.As you rightly state,there are a minimum of 30 plus players desperate for a game.Poor skills and lack of defensive pressure will be litmus tests early on.

What are peoples thoughts on Mayes? Can't really remember what he was like last season but seems to be in everyones best 22. Don't remember him being a veryhigh posession getter, I do feel like he might need to step up a bit now with the depth we have coming through.
Vanilla but fairly consistent. Hope he comes on this year as an accumulator in the Sam Docherty mould. Hopefully he pushes up the ground a bit more.

FF McStay Walker Rich
HB Mayes Andrews Whitherden

M Zorko DBeams MCluggage
C Martin Rockcliff Mathieson

HF Berry Hipwood Robinson
FF Lester Smith Christensen

Interchange:
Robertson, Taylor, Cutler, Gardiner

Pushing hard for best 22.
Keays, Allison, Cox, Skinner, Bastinac, Schache, McInerney, Barrett, Paparone, Harwood.

Some good depth starting to develop across the board. A strong draft/trade period this year could really set us up for a tilt at finals in 2018-19.

Looking at this you haven't predicted a captain for this year. I thought martin would be a good choice but after watching the AFLX on the wekend it looks like Cutler might give it a good crack. Anyone got any thoughts who it might be?

What are peoples thoughts on Mayes? Can't really remember what he was like last season but seems to be in everyones best 22. Don't remember him being a veryhigh posession getter, I do feel like he might need to step up a bit now with the depth we have coming through.

Overall, probably his most consistent season off half back / wing. Possession numbers and Marks way up.

The late season emergence of Witherden and Hodge coming up may release him a bit further up the field. Viable options in Cutler / Cox / Rich too.

Personally, I like him on the wing. His best game was there against Freo with 29 possessions, 9 marks and 6 Inside 50's. It was our biggest win of the season (Freo).

Looking at this you haven't predicted a captain for this year. I thought martin would be a good choice but after watching the AFLX on the wekend it looks like Cutler might give it a good crack. Anyone got any thoughts who it might be?
Where did you find that post? In the archives?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back