Bomber Thompson cost us the 2008 and 2010 Premeirships

Remove this Banner Ad

And exactly how you do you quantify our 5% chance this year and 20% in others? Lewis Duckworth method, Wikipedia, or the planet once known as Uranus?

Sounds remarkably like #%#% to me.

GO Catters

You are obviously not a numbers/gambling person.

Based on our continually poor finals record, the glaring holes in our team and the competition strength i'd say we were around a 5% chance.

A 20% chance would be a very strong team, doesn't mean there are any this year but our 2007-2012 team would have gone into the season with around those kind of odds (mostly better).

If you do a proper rebuild and time the peak right (peaking when weaker clubs would likely peak) and assuming things go well then you should expect those kind of odds for a few years.

Based on our continually poor finals record, the glaring holes in our team and the competition strength i'd say we were around a 5% chance.

A 20% chance would be a very strong team, doesn't mean there are any this year but our 2007-2012 team would have gone into the season with around those kind of odds (mostly better).

If you do a proper rebuild and time the peak right (peaking when weaker clubs would likely peak) and assuming things go well then you should expect those kind of odds for a few years.

How do you do a proper rebuild, to time when the weaker clubs would likely peak???

How do you do a proper rebuild, to time when the weaker clubs would likely peak???

would be very difficult and take a lot of analysis but you could workout when other clubs lists would peak based on age profile and talent (of course predicting 5-7 years out would be a guide at best)

if there were say 2-3 extremely strong lists that are peaking or about to peak you could delay peaking a few years to avoid them (drafting longer term prospects over topups/ready to go youth etc)

I'd sacrifice more money to stay with the club I grew up with and to still play along side life long friends.
Easy to say though when your not the one being offered almost 10Mill.
Everyone says s**t like that, but at the end of the day people being offered a s**t ton of cash almost always take it.

How would you have orchestrated things better at Geelong say the past 5 years?
Details please.
Allowing for the annual departures of our immortals.

cynical are you a politician? You sure love buzz words that are vague and don’t actually mean anything by themselves. Building the list or proper rebuild...

Well as has already been pointed out there are many clubs doing what you’re inferring we should and failing. Here’s another thing about that method, you’re more prone to FA walkouts. Now that’s not something I want to see.

Yeah, he left for money. Instead of making 5mil over 5 years at Geelong he could make 10mil over the same stretch at the Suns. I doubt anyone would turn that down. If you want to get angry about it, then why not direct that at a society that thinks it's acceptable to pay sportspeople 1-2mil a year and nurses and teachers 65K.
not this again
and in society when his dad was on the street who picked him up
when little gaz needed help who was there

this will go on and on

I'd sacrifice more money to stay with the club I grew up with and to still play along side life long friends.
Well more fool you. When he playing life of AFL footballers is max 15 years and then not much after, why would you turn down earning more money in anew job. And in this case away from a home town where you couldn't look sideways, where you carried the family name in the job, and where you were being bullied or were never going to be Captain.
Get over it, it wasn't personal ,nothing to do with you or us we don't own the players and they can make their own choices.

all good and great, but in a league of weak teams we rolled the dice
we may have rolled the dice too late
however with some luck, and maybe 1-2 players, less injuries we may have jagged a flag

people thinking the full rebuild is a panacea are deluded
in a competition where there are 18 teams and poor talent spread, we are on the right path

if we snag another free agent or two we can top up and hope our luck runs in september

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well more fool you. When he playing life of AFL footballers is max 15 years and then not much after, why would you turn down earning more money in anew job. And in this case away from a home town where you couldn't look sideways, where you carried the family name in the job, and where you were being bullied or were never going to be Captain.
Get over it, it wasn't personal ,nothing to do with you or us we don't own the players and they can make their own choices.
as i said not his again
the same home town picked up the pieces when your dad went off the rails
the same home town that has picked up the pieces
the bullying lol
he was wrapped in cotton wool
so too his brother
so please lets not rewrite history
he left for cash, lets move on from this shite

would be very difficult and take a lot of analysis but you could workout when other clubs lists would peak based on age profile and talent (of course predicting 5-7 years out would be a guide at best)

if there were say 2-3 extremely strong lists that are peaking or about to peak you could delay peaking a few years to avoid them (drafting longer term prospects over topups/ready to go youth etc)
Rather than follow that mumbo jumbo I'd rather just watch the team play each week and hopefully secure enough wins to get into a finals campaign each year. Remain a winning combo getting the best we can from what opportunities come our way is the way to go. No way would I play the odds with delaying peaking to sneak an occasional premiership. There are no guarantees that approach will result in a flag anyway but finishing outside the eighth will result in failure.

Besides who wants to play at a club that operates in that fashion. Try attracting top talent or retaining existing talent of the future was to play the odds.

Well more fool you. When he playing life of AFL footballers is max 15 years and then not much after, why would you turn down earning more money in anew job.

And in this case away from a home town where you couldn't look sideways, where you carried the family name in the job, and where you were being bullied or were never going to be Captain.

Money doesn't equal happiness..... look at Buddy and his issues.

Your second paragraph is poetic since he's returned to the fishbowl he left!!

Given the Wisdom of the OP. It's hard to conclude whether Bomber is a 0 or -2 Premiership coach.

You don't think our first rounder will be a good pick? We still have it for the coming draft.

Either way I'm not seeing a change of thinking. We've been blending draft, free agency and trades for years now.
Fair chance it will since we have the best recruiter in the biz. Would've liked that extra pick but s**t happens.
I think I've noticed a change. We didn't throw any of our top picks at Stringer, Smith, Watts or even Delidio when in previous years we've been so desperate to find that missing piece we've thrown good picks at Clark, Stanley & Hmac it shows a change for mine.

Fair chance it will since we have the best recruiter in the biz. Would've liked that extra pick but s**t happens.
I think I've noticed a change. We didn't throw any of our top picks at Stringer, Smith, Watts or even Delidio when in previous years we've been so desperate to find that missing piece we've thrown good picks at Clark, Stanley & Hmac it shows a change for mine.
None of Stringer/Smith/Watts were structural pieces, as Clark/Stanley/HMac were. Its nothing to do with a chance of plan imo, just a recognition of very different circumstances.

I actually thought it was a bit silly that we put Watts through all the rigmarole and pantomime but then weren't even prepared to offer the Dees pick 35. Stringer/Smith its harder to know what would have been on the table as they never really reached that stage of declared interest and there was never anything concrete from the club about them.

None of Stringer/Smith/Watts were structural pieces, as Clark/Stanley/HMac were. Its nothing to do with a chance of plan imo, just a recognition of very different circumstances.

I actually thought it was a bit silly that we put Watts through all the rigmarole and pantomime but then weren't even prepared to offer the Dees pick 35. Stringer/Smith its harder to know what would have been on the table as they never really reached that stage of declared interest and there was never anything concrete from the club about them.

I've been lead to believe we were prepared to offer Melb a better deal but after the interviews with Watts the recruiting group decided he wasn't worth the cost.
Something about being far too casual about his career and the lengths he was willing to go to get the "best" out of himself.

Money doesn't equal happiness..... look at Buddy and his issues.

Your second paragraph is poetic since he's returned to the fishbowl he left!!
Yes but the bully has gone and he has been a team captain. Also a little older and wiser so can handle the adoration and home town hero better. This anger toward him, and his Dad and Nathan is extraordinary.
They were fantastic players who brought joy to us and people through the gates to watch them play. Those of us who seen all three know what a privilege it was to have them in the hoops. Can't you just get over your heartbreak and wish Gary jnr well

Yes but the bully has gone and he has been a team captain. Also a little older and wiser so can handle the adoration and home town hero better. This anger toward him, and his Dad and Nathan is extraordinary.
They were fantastic players who brought joy to us and people through the gates to watch them play. Those of us who seen all three know what a privilege it was to have them in the hoops. Can't you just get over your heartbreak and wish Gary jnr well

+1

When will people learn not to respond to that simpleton.

Read his posting history, he's hoping Ablett does his shoulder again.

How would you have orchestrated things better at Geelong say the past 5 years?
Details please.
Allowing for the annual departures of our immortals.

If we are starting from the end of 2013 i'd have traded out a lot of our oldies while they still had some value and gone for a lot of kids, i'd also have planned to finish bottom 6 (by dumping a lot of list cloggers) and try to pickup some genuine quality talls.

Also wouldn't have touched free agency in a rebuild phase.

If we are starting from the end of 2013 i'd have traded out a lot of our oldies while they still had some value and gone for a lot of kids, i'd also have planned to finish bottom 6 (by dumping a lot of list cloggers) and try to pickup some genuine quality talls.

Also wouldn't have touched free agency in a rebuild phase.
I'm not going to lie, that sounds like an absolute recipe for disaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back