Bomber Thompson cost us the 2008 and 2010 Premeirships

Remove this Banner Ad

For the 23,000th time. Seeing as some don’t want to listen.
We needed to offload $$$ so that we could make a Dangerfield FA bid 12 months later.

The only club interested in Travis was Collingwood and they were intent on a player swap to facilitate trading Lumumba. Picks wasn’t an option.

As it turned out that FA bid was deemed not feasible given Adelaide were hell bent on matching to get a better deal so we got Paddy cheaper and the spare cash became Selwood. So we did even better out of our plan :)
Correct me if I'm wrong but at the time weren't at least WCE and North interested?
A couple of others too if IIRC.
I didn't care about trading him to offload cash. Just not Mitch Clark.

Correct me if I'm wrong but at the time weren't at least WCE and North interested?
I didn't care about trading him. Just not Mitch Clark.
West Coast made a nice financial offer but he knocked back moving west due to his young family.

I would of done sort of the same. I wouldn't have cared about finishing bottom six or anything, but I certainly wouldn't have bought Rivers in but instead started a young player down back instead.
Would not have given games to Stringer & Sherringham when we were delisting them anyway but instead played younger players.
Obviously would have not gone the Mitch Clark route or Stanley and would've got rid of Cowan and Linc at least 2 years ago.
Also (ducks for cover) I wouldn't have got Scooter.
After all those things we would still be finishing in the same position but would have at least 3 more young players in our best 22 and have more depth to choose from.
Not revisionist either. A lot of people were against all of those decisions at the time.
Most were actually no brainiers.
Just on a couple of points.. IMO we should have won the flag in 2013 and were crueled by a couple of key injuries (Hawks back, Simpson's knee when he looked like taking the next step) and Rivers was recruited end of 2012 to keep our tall defender set up, he played some bloody good footy for us but 2013 he was wounded most of the year and hurt..
But I have no issue with us getting him, we rolled the dice.
Stringer also got games cos he showed plenty his first burst of games... then he belted his missus and was never any good after...
Mostly I agree with the rest, I'm unsure on Scoot.. when fit he adds a midfield pitbull to our team, but how much of the not fit Scoot do we carry before it isn't worth while?

We all know Varcoe, Lebumba,Clark was a worth a second round pick. All 3 clubs said it at the time.
You can pretend it was lower than that if you want.
Also we were trading Varcoe anyway and would of got at least a second rounder regardless.

Its just not as clean as actually selling the pick - your bird is most certainly in the bush not in the hand.

I appreciate the argument that Trav was worth a 2nd, but an assets worth and what you can actually shift it for are two completely different things. So I'm not pretending anything, its a fact that we never paid a 2nd rounder for Mitch, we paid an awkward to handle player asset with some value maybe around the 2nd range. I still don't mind the choice to pursue Clark, it was a promising gamble that wasn't too far from paying off at times.

Just on a couple of points.. IMO we should have won the flag in 2013 and were crueled by a couple of key injuries (Hawks back, Simpson's knee when he looked like taking the next step) and Rivers was recruited end of 2012 to keep our tall defender set up, he played some bloody good footy for us but 2013 he was wounded most of the year and hurt..
But I have no issue with us getting him, we rolled the dice.
Stringer also got games cos he showed plenty his first burst of games... then he belted his missus and was never any good after...
Mostly I agree with the rest, I'm unsure on Scoot.. when fit he adds a midfield pitbull to our team, but how much of the not fit Scoot do we carry before it isn't worth while?

Simpson is such a sliding doors moment for us... if he had had the career he could have then so many of our less than stellar list management decisions become less necessary and who knows where we end up?

C'est la footy.

They don't have to have a capped skill level though. Rookie players eg Dahlhaus, Papley, Johannisen!!! Guns with skill.
Then you have lower pick players with less skill but are fit and ready to play their role at the right time of the year. These players are massively important now with pressure being king.
I just seems to me at the moment every list spot is important as long as you have the right development team as some players could be anything and some are needed as fit role players and depth.
Just throwing away even 2 or 3 spots is too much now IMOO.

Late draft picks can make it but you are wanting someone who if all things go well could be a gun (although very unlikely) vs a less risky workman like player who has capped skills but has the body/workrate to make in impact within a year or 2.

Late draft picks can make it but you are wanting someone who if all things go well could be a gun (although very unlikely) vs a less risky workman like player who has capped skills but has the body/workrate to make in impact within a year or 2.
It happens heaps though. Just outta the last 4 GF teams you got, JJ, Dahlhaus, Picken, Lambert, Butler, Grimes,Castagna,
Lloyd, Smith, Rampe, Cunningham,Laird, Cameron, Jacobs, Kelly, Greenwood plus I woulda missed a few.
Bit of a mix. There's some that I'd consider guns, some that just play there role and some in between.

I didn't care about trading him to offload cash. Just not Mitch Clark.
TV had a back ended deal where he was on close to 450k odd...

We needed the SC space and Pies took in that deal - perhaps a higher pick might have been obtained but IMO to the club the SC flexibility was worth more 10-15 slots higher in picks.

We got what we wanted - and so day I’d say the SC portion has worked for us.
THe Clark component has failed miserably

Go Catters

Scooter played around 15 games last year...I thought in general he added to the side....added a bit of steel if you like. Personally I hoped for around 17 games from him per season and on balance he deserves his list spot. I dont think the club would see us as "carrying him"...

Scooter played around 15 games last year...I thought in general he added to the side....added a bit of steel if you like. Personally I hoped for around 17 games from him per season and on balance he deserves his list spot. I dont think the club would see us as "carrying him"...
Yeah we won't know if the Scoot one is worth it till end of this year at least and see how many games he has played.
I'm sure he is great in a leadership sense as well.. carrying him is not the right term, but the year before he played 5 games, last year 14... if he has another set back and struggles to get on the park that's 2 out of 3 and it's justified to question his recruitment.

We are obviously talking in hypotheticals, and I was and still remain a fan of Scooter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back