Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t believe he wants to go to Melbourne simply to be a backup ruck again as I agree that would be stupid.

Something is afoot and Melbourne must have given him assurance that they plan to play both he and Gawn.

If something is happening with Hogan I can see it working. Either taking Hogan out of the forward line and using him to shore up the backline with Lever which would make for an imposing backline. Or Hogan has flagged he wants to return to WA which would net 2 first rounders or a first rounder and one of Freo’s 1st round draftees from last year.

I can’t see any other sensible way the current best 22 structure changes to enable a two ruck/forward setup.
Can’t see it working at all, preuss doesn’t have the forward craft to sit on the forwardline, and Max Gawn has lifted his endurance and now would play somewhere around 80% game time in the ruck. Not a move I would be making. Plenty of state league guys u could pick up who would be happy to sit in the twos as backup

?

I agree with others ITT that he'd be first ruck at several clubs. A starting ruck has to be worth more than 33.
He has known flaws, despite his good season. His worth is 35-45, 30 at absolute best.

?

I agree with others ITT that he'd be first ruck at several clubs. A starting ruck has to be worth more than 33.

Except he hasn't been a starting ruck, played no AFL games in 2018 and 8 in total.

So no he's not worth more than 33 or even 33.

There's no club who he would be absolutely 100% locked in as the starter at. He'll learn from the best at the Dees and I'd back him in to play at least 5 games, more if we trade Hogan or move him to CHB. 2-3 years backing up Gawn and he could be a starter on his own terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It entirely depends on how surplus to requirements the North coaches think he is
He's not that surplus that we would offload him for unders. That would just be silly by us.

If Goldy goes down, we're screwed. Xerri is not AFL standard yet. And playing Daw in the ruck would rob us of his reliable marking in defense.

There's no club who he would be absolutely 100% locked in as the starter at. He'll learn from the best at the Dees and I'd back him in to play at least 5 games, more if we trade Hogan or move him to CHB. 2-3 years backing up Gawn and he could be a starter on his own terms.
In which case it makes no sense for him to leave, as he'd replace Goldy as starting ruck in the next couple of years.
So he's probably worth more to us, than to someone else.

I don't necessarily agree though that the wouldn't be locked in as a starter elsewhere. Given a clean run at it, he'd grab it no problems.

Is this the hill you want to die on? Eight career games, zero in 2018. I doubt 33 is on the table, maybe 33 for Preuss and North's fourth.

Seems a silly decision for Melbourne to go after him, although in their mind they'll have a decent backup.

The real loser in this is Preuss himself, yet he'd be the one driving it...i'm sure North would prefer to keep him.
Melbourne surely can't play Gawn, Preuss, Hogan, McDonald and Weideman in one team.

West Coast are looking for a ruck...would think Preuss is better than Hickey.
Port, although they are linked to Lycett.
Adelaide need a ruck, Jacobs is cooked.
St Kilda could do with Preuss if they lose Hickey...Longer isn't much chop.
Bulldogs could do with a 1st ruck.
GWS need a 1st ruck.
Geelong need a ruck, they can't decide between Stanley and Z Smith because both are poor.

Plenty of teams need a ruck.

Bizarre request to go to Melbourne. Unless Hogan is out the door and Melbourne want to try a 2-ruck setup with one resting forward Preuss will be lucky to get a few games a year when Gawn needs a rest. Melbourne might actually be the worst club Preuss could possibly pick in terms of opportunity to play seniors.

We’ll be lucky to get that.

It will do.

33 plus the pick we get for the Polec trade should cover our 2018 points requirement if Bailey Scott nominates us as well.

I don't know why everyone thinks he can't surpass Gawn in a year or two. Sometimes rucks just need a chance. Look at Gawn for example - He struggled. Once he grew a beard people started to take notice and like Sampson he started to improve his game.

Mumford was the same at Geelong. Ottens was holding him back and then he flourished at Sydney and GWS. Goldstein surpassed Hamish McIntosh. Cox overtook Gardiner. Alessio overtook Salmon.

We don't know Preuss' true ceiling yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back