Preview Changes: R11 vs Geelong, Saturday May 28, 1.15pm ACST @ Kardinia Park

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, Fogarty out for Gollant, Butts for Brown, Rachele (rested),
BUT
you'd bring back Frampton, who is hopeless 1-on-1 against strong leading/marking forwards (Geelong have two, with mids who know how to supply them).
Frampton?? :oops: :eek:

What's Rowe done, to get dropped?
I've done an updated changes since then
Out:
Fogarty, Rachele (inj), Murphy, Brown, Sholl

In:
Gollant Newchurch Cook Butts Pedlar

Sub: Schoenberg

Did Thilthorpe do enough to hold his spot ? ......I mean if he was a pick 40 in the Draft, I'd suggest people would be saying he should be dropped .....interesting that a player's draft number, influences thoughts on team changes
On face value he likely didn't, but he was probably brought in earlier than they wanted. He was finding some good from in the b's but then got injured and had Covid.

Ideally they probably wanted to give him another run in the b's before recalling him, but was called in due to Himmelberg not performing.

I don't think it had anything to do with his draft number.

Last edited:

How about we sort our structure out first?

Playing four small forwards but having to play them 80m out from goal because our mids/wings/half forwards lose too many contests leaves us screwed when the hack kick inside 50 inevitably comes.

Then there's the shitshow inside our defensive 50. Brown and Hinge can piss off.
They play that way because Nicks instructs them to. It’s got to change.

Weekend game showed the stupidity of only 1 genuine tall defender. I get that the coaches like flexibility but it's just dumb. It's clear that Worrell and McAdey just parent strong enough yet, still getting pushed around in SANFL.

Frampton is not a viable option. He is a great kick, finds the ball easily and can take a mark, but isn't a great defender. Which is why I can't work out why they aren't playing him as a mobile second ruckman.

Against the cats I would pick him and make them think about 2 ruckman

This is how I suspect selections will pan out:

Either Pedlar or Milera for Rachele (out injured).

Butts to come in and Murray retained for the unlucky Hinge (although I personally would omit Brown).

ROB for the (also) unlucky Strachan.

I'm not sure what we're hoping to see from Fog in order to keep the guy in the side. I really like him, but I just can't see what role he's actually succeeding at. Not sure Gollant has done enough for a game, so he might get another week, or we might run two rucks.

Murphy seems the definitive version of "all effort, rough disposal". I'd feel bad, but he's probably out as well.

I think one of Hinge and Brown needs to go, for structural reasons. Rachelle needs a rest.

Personally, I think it's time for Milera. Butts is essential. I'd maybe even look at Crouch against Geelong, which I know makes me a pariah around here.
It's an interesting week for selection that's for sure.
I can't agree on Crouch however. The vigour that Berry brings in the middle has improved our midfield. No Sloane or Crouch please. We're better than that.

This is a perfect week for two ruckmen. Rest the other at either end but I feel that the extra tall in defence is important this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there'll be too many changes as we didn't perform too badly. Rachele will be out with a bad corky I'd expect (may have been rested anyway), and I'd drop Fog. Butts will come back in so I'd drop Brown and move Hamill or Hinge onto Stengle. I'd also drop Sholl back to SANFL for a full game.
My ins would be Gollant for Fog, Butts for Brown, Cook for Rachele, and Pedlar for Sholl.

Side note: one of McAdam's marks (his 'courageous' mark) was right in front of TT who was leading to the ball. Whilst it ended OK, McAdam has a habit of getting in the way of our bigger forwards. He needs a bit of work on forward craft to ensure he's not spoiling others and knowing when to go.

Roo seemed disappointed with the fact of only playing 1 tall defender.

It was obvious to all (except our selectors) that Saints were too tall for us.
This happened last year and then they reverted to playing two talls. They don't learn.

Last edited:
Out:
Rachele, Murphy, Hinge, Sholl

In:
Cook Butts Pedlar, Davis (Sub)

Rachele and Murphy to take a few weeks rest. Cook/Pedlar to rotate between the Rachele and Murphy roles with stints on ball.

Hinge out, Butts in. We need more height in defence and as much as I would prefer Brown out, it needs to be for a player such as Parnell.

Davis has been good this year in the 2s and Scholl needs some touch.

This is how I suspect selections will pan out:

Either Pedlar or Milera for Rachele (out injured).

Butts to come in and Murray retained for the unlucky Hinge (although I personally would omit Brown).

ROB for the (also) unlucky Strachan.
Strongly suspect you are right

I think we would've played 2 tall defenders last week if Butts had been right. Doesn't bode well for frampton that we preferred to play Strachan loose in defence instead of picking him
This week I think we definitely do:
Out: Hinge, Rachele, Fog
In: Pedlar, Butts, Gollant

Other moves they may consider are Brown, Strachan, Sholl needs a run. Wouldn't touch milera until he's done something in the SANFL. Even crouch deserves to be picked more. ROB has done everything he can to get picked, but has he done enough? Not sure, was just getting destroyed at AFL level, trust is gone that he can compete, but the cats rucks are awful
They play that way because Nicks instructs them to. It’s got to change.
2 inside 50, 2 further up the ground would seem ideal. It seems obvious

According to VB they’re thinking of playing two rucks this weekend

Gotta be worth a shot imo
Whoa! I thought this was against the unbreakable philosophy of the coaches!

Having said that and now having seen the SANFL game, I’d flick Fog and play ROB. Rotate Strachan and ROB in ruck and up forward.

Weekend game showed the stupidity of only 1 genuine tall defender. I get that the coaches like flexibility but it's just dumb. It's clear that Worrell and McAdey just parent strong enough yet, still getting pushed around in SANFL.

Frampton is not a viable option. He is a great kick, finds the ball easily and can take a mark, but isn't a great defender. Which is why I can't work out why they aren't playing him as a mobile second ruckman.

Against the cats I would pick him and make them think about 2 ruckman
Interestingly if we had kicked straight we would have won. And no-one would have been questioning the tactic. So I’m not sure it was as stupid as it seems.

It's an interesting week for selection that's for sure.
I can't agree on Crouch however. The vigour that Berry brings in the middle has improved our midfield. No Sloane or Crouch please. We're better than that.

This is a perfect week for two ruckmen. Rest the other at either end but I feel that the extra tall in defence is important this week.
Why do we need 2 ruckmen against a side that have no competent ruckman?

Last week against Ryder & Marshall was the time to play 2 ruckmen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back