Preview Changes: R22 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Pyke doesn't have a great history of making tough decisions.

As others have mentioned there was no way Jacobs was going to be dropped on 199 and O'Brien has been too good to not bring straight back in. Jacobs was okay last week but people get squeezed out of sporting teams because of structure all the time.

It has nothing to do with Grundy, Pyke just doesn't have it in him.
It has a bit to do with structures still.

Because it would make us super slow and thats why we've resisted playing 2 rucks
Yes it does.

We also lose a rotation. So further damage our midfield.

Essentially we are using two guys for one position as neither of them are great forwards.

I guess RoB could play the defensive role Otten had, at a stretch.

Quite possibly the worst selection of the year.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Or we couldn’t drop Sauce for his 200th
"Don it's Chappy mate"

"Rob how can I help you "

"just checking to see what you are thinking this week in regards selection, you know I won't interfere in your team and I know you have the best interests of the team"

"I hear a but Rob"

'no I would never dictate selection '

"but"

'OK maybe there is, what are your plans regarding Sauce? '

"cupboard Rob always in the cupboard ''

"haha thats not what that muffin chick said"

''Reilly is rested and will be selected this week "

'but last home game big crowd opportunity to celebrate a milestone, is Sam playing Don'

"Sauce is just about done, we can't find a spot for him Rob"

'Don who will 2nd ruck when Reilly needs a rest? Grundy is a monster he will be a headache - Sauce kicked 4 goals in the SANFL Don maybe play him forward '

"let me think about it Rob"

' thanks Don also think about your job at the same time, good to chat Don Ta ra'

---
'Neroli get me the engraver and print shop on the line'

Yes it does.

Essentially we are using two guys for one position as neither of them are great forwards.

Wouldnt it be humourous if the first game of the year we dont bomb the high ball is the week we have the tallest forwardline ??

Personally I dont think its that bad a selection.... may as well try it

What part was bulls**t? I said various Bigfooty posters had suggested 12 of our players be dropped this week. In the first three pages of this thread the suggested changes were Jacobs (10 times), Otten (11), Douglas (15), Mackay (7), Gibbs (2), Betts (2), Lynch (7), Hartigan (9), Murphy (6), Atkins (5), Knight (6). Later a poster suggested Kelly and most thought this a bit tough.

I have not included Sloane, Walker and Milera who also had a mention due to injury. We haven’t heard from the Rabbit this week but he was up and about a couple of weeks ago.

My comments are not an indictment of this Board but rather an illustration that we have a boat load of players who are not performing well and not enough fit players in the Twos to replace them. It is impossible to satisfy all BigFooty posters this week but a couple more demotions would have been good.

FWIW the first 5 players I would have dropped were Jacobs, Otten, Atkins, Douglas and Gibbs but I wouldn’t have complained if Hartigan, Knight and Mackay were added to the list.
The way you wrote it suggested posters wanted all those players dropped, ie 12 changes.

Yes it does.

Agreed because we couldn’t drop Jacobs for his 200th

Wouldnt it be humourous if the first game of the year we dont bomb the high ball is the week we have the tallest forwardline ??

Personally I dont think its that bad a selection.... may as well try it
If Sauce is to play up forward with RoB Rucking it is essentially the same structure as our 2017 forward line. Sauce being JJ and Fog being Gov.

Tyson Edwards Mk 2?
I reckon I’d have him somewhere in between Edwards and our superstars. Don’t think Tyson bothered the AA selectors, nor did he wear the yellow jacket.

Still an excellent player of course and a lock for our best ever 22.

If Sauce is to play up forward with RoB Rucking it is essentially the same structure as our 2017 forward line. Sauce being JJ and Fog being Gov.

See how it works.

As I said, I dont mind us trying it but if it doesnt work then ditch it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting debate - is he an out an out star. Of the AFC...yes absolutely. If we named an all time best AFC team, he would be in it without doubt.

Star of the Comp - not so sure. 1 x AA, 2 x club champ. Will he be inducted to the HoF for example?

I think he’s highly respected and admired throughout, I’m not sure he’s a star of the comp

i reckon if he gets to 250+ games he's a pretty good chance for HoF honours. If he gets to 250 games and snags one more B&F or AA nomination he'd be very hard to keep out.

His career metrics parallel recent inductees like Anthony Stevens (2B&F, 1AA), Neitz (1B&F, 2AA), O'Loughlin (1B&F, 2AA), Kouta (2B&F, 2AA) and Richo (1B&F, 3AA). He's also got a few useful intangibles - captaincy, 2-top 10 Brownlow finishes, captaincy, most courageous winner - as well as being the public face of the team for the last few years.

i reckon if he gets to 250+ games he's a pretty good chance for HoF honours. If he gets to 250 games and snags one more B&F or AA nomination he'd be very hard to keep out.

His career metrics parallel recent inductees like Anthony Stevens (2B&F, 1AA), Neitz (1B&F, 2AA), O'Loughlin (1B&F, 2AA), Kouta (2B&F, 2AA) and Richo (1B&F, 3AA). He's also got a few useful intangibles - captaincy, 2-top 10 Brownlow finishes, captaincy, most courageous winner - as well as being the public face of the team for the last few years.
Sound arguments.

Time will tell. I certainly hope he gets that recognition and would certainly make him a star of the comp

It’s doesn’t work that way? Who said?

He’s effectively had a 2 week break. So how many weeks off does he need to recover?

It’s clear the only reason Jacobs is in is for the 200th. We’ve never played 2 rucks and we are prepared to play one short on the bench because of it
I see your qualification in sports science and physiology is coming in handy. ;)

I see your qualification in sports science and physiology is coming in handy. ;)
Perhaps you can provide the evidence then, so far all I’ve got 2 Big Footy posters with no qualifications in sport science and physiology sharing their opinion on it. Why didn’t you ask them to back it up?

Perhaps you can provide the evidence then, so far all I’ve got 2 Big Footy posters with no qualifications in sport science and physiology sharing their opinion on it. Why didn’t you ask them to back it up?
Because theirs is feasible. Yours isn’t. It’s called common sense.

Yes it does.

Just reinforces the obvious - winning a Flag is no longer the primary concern of the AFC.

I find it amusing that you and your Southern mate have appointed me the head of the anti-FOG alliance.

I am not one of the posters who have suggested that we trade The FOG. I am not the poster who said The FOG is an example of our clueless drafting. I have consistently said we need to be patient, it is extremely rare for a 19 year old key forward to be influential in the SANFL let alone the AFL.

What I did say, after observing a VICTORYLAPIAMTHEMAN display by the man from the South was that Fogarty had not demanded selection this year and has struggled both in the pre-season and in the SANFL. I can’t recall a single poster who regularly watches our Twos disputing this statement. It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t select him on spec and no one was happier than me to see him kick a bag against the Eagles.

My main criticism of our selectors is that we have been ignoring young talent who at various stages have ripped the SANFL apart (Jones, McHenry, Poholke) in order to play ordinary journeymen with little of no future at the AFC beyond this year.

The thing is we don't need to indulge your constant attempts to redefine what you said.

We know what you said. I provided the quotes you demanded, shortly before you ran from the thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back