Preview Changes Rd 8 vs Port Power

Remove this Banner Ad

So, everyone is saying that Fogarty should be given 5 games to prove himself (after Frampton was given 5), but now they all want Himmelberg dropped after only 2 games?

Never change BigFooty, never change.
Imagine if you were on the second floor of a burning building and had to throw your baby to a bystander down below.

You feel relief when you notice the bystander is a 2 meter tall AFL player.

Until you realise it's Elliot Himmelberg and throw your baby at the neighbour's dog.

Imagine if you were on the second floor of a burning building and had to throw your baby to a bystander down below.

Until you realise it's Elliot Himmelberg and throw your baby at the neighbour's dog.
Yeah... but at least Himmelberg would be standing at the bottom of the building, waiting to catch the baby. Fogarty would still be 2 blocks away, dawdling slowly as he approaches your building.

We have a choice between a player who gets to 10 marking contests and holds 4 of them, or a player who only makes it to 4 contests and marks 3 of them.

Yeah... but at least Himmelberg would be standing at the bottom of the building, waiting to catch the baby. Fogarty would still be 2 blocks away, dawdling slowly as he approaches your building.

We have a choice between a player who gets to 10 marking contests and holds 4 of them, or a player who only makes it to 4 contests and marks 3 of them.
Marking 4 of them is being generous...

This is getting ridiculous fellas, let's face it neither are setting the world on fire but Fogarty was selected a long way higher than Himmelberg in the draft for a reason.
There's absolutely no doubting that Fogarty has more potential - but his inability to realise that potential is extremely frustrating.

Berg makes the most of his more limited talents, Fogarty makes the absolute least of his... and the final balance is slightly in Berg's favour.

Berg makes the most of his more limited talents, Fogarty makes the absolute least of his...
If what Himmelberg does now is him "making the most of his more limited talents" --- IF that's true --- then he will never improve, never get better. What we see is all that we'll get. He will continue to drop marks that he gets both hands to, chest marks too, and I am not talking about marks-under-big-pressure. He will continue to miss shots for goal from 35m. out, shots that most key AFL forwards should nail.
In summary, he'll continue to be a very ordinary KPF and that's well-filled currently by Frampton.

I agree that Fog needs to get fitter and do more, in general --- a poster above suggested he has an ego problem which would explain a lot ie he thinks he's a big deal for playing AFL so young and doesn't realise that getting selected is just not enough without consistent effort and improvement.
It's not a Himmelberg vs Fogarty situation. Both of them are not playing well enough.

If I had to choose only one of them to play vs PA, I'd pick Fogarty and give him licence to crash packs and run through as many PA players as he can line up. They'll certainly target our rookies in that way. Going sideways from that it's one game where McHenry is just the type you want. Murphy, too.

If what Himmelberg does now is him "making the most of his more limited talents" --- IF that's true --- then he will never improve, never get better. What we see is all that we'll get. He will continue to drop marks that he gets both hands to, chest marks too, and I am not talking about marks-under-big-pressure. He will continue to miss shots for goal from 35m. out, shots that most key AFL forwards should nail.
In summary, he'll continue to be a very ordinary KPF and that's well-filled currently by Frampton.

I agree that Fog needs to get fitter and do more, in general --- a poster above suggested he has an ego problem which would explain a lot ie he thinks he's a big deal for playing AFL so young and doesn't realise that getting selected is just not enough without consistent effort and improvement.
It's not a Himmelberg vs Fogarty situation. Both of them are not playing well enough.

If I had to choose only one of them to play vs PA, I'd pick Fogarty and give him licence to crash packs and run through as many PA players as he can line up. They'll certainly target our rookies in that way. Going sideways from that it's one game where McHenry is just the type you want. Murphy, too.
I can't honestly say that Berg will never improve, just as I can't say that Fogarty will never improve.

What I do know is that Fog has more talent/potential, yet Berg works harder and is (to date) the better performed of the two.

I can't honestly say that Berg will never improve, just as I can't say that Fogarty will never improve.

What I do know is that Fog has more talent/potential, yet Berg works harder and is (to date) the better performed of the two.
So Vader

You have never seen a player improve in year 3, 4 or 5 of their careers

I bet many were saying Keays would never improve either

The game is filled with history and examples of players starting slowly in their initial years but end up becoming very good AFL players

You seem to write ypung players of very very quickly and at the same time totally ignoring the journey, challenges and timeline for a young player to make it at AFL level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just don't throw it to Wayne Carey because he'd mark it, play on, take two bounces and kick it 60 metres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was on the ground floor and Elliot Himmelberg was outside, I would rate my baby's survival higher by staying inside the building and not passing off. :drunk:

Do you agree he has been mismanaged in the examples given?
Maybe.

To be honest, I thought the post was pretty over-emotional. Trying to teach Fogarty the minimum that is expected defensively of an AFL forward is not "mismanagement".

We've perhaps mismanaged his weight training? Even that's hard to know.

We were belted in the middle all last year while they were both playing too.
We started trending upwards and then winning in the latter part of last year once we moved Laird into the middle. This year we pretty much drew even with Geelong in Round 1, smashed Sydney in Round 2, beat North and Hawthorn as well.

Last week was an absolute abomination though and the signs were there against Freo too. We've also started falling down in our F50 efficiency in a few games too

Geelong - 30 shots from 50 entries - 59%
Marks inside 50 - 13

Sydney - 33 shots from 55 entries - 60%
Marks inside 50 - 12

Gold Coast - 31 shots from 57 entries - 54%
Marks inside 50 - 11

North - 29 shots from 59 entries - 49%
Marks inside 50 - 15

Fremantle - 20 shots from 55 entries - 36%
Marks inside 50 - 9

Hawthorn - 26 shots from 51 entries - 51%
Marks inside 50 - 14

GWS - 24 shots from 52 entries - 46%
Marks inside 50 - 5

The stats from the Hawks game just scream of one we absolutely blew, we F'd up badly in that one, especially in our decision to go undersized down back which lead to the Hawks getting easier marks inside 50 than us. But the issue highlighted in the Freo and doubled in the GWS game is we struggled to win the ball, particularly from stoppages. We were 9-13 in centre clearances against GWS, but a massive 8-28 on stoppage clearances. Against Freo we won 16-9 on centre clearances, but again smashed at stoppages 19-33. First month of the year we were either winning or drawing even around the stoppages.

2 of the last 3 weeks we've failed to be able to win the ball around the ground. That leads to us trying to rely on defensive turnovers to go forward, except we're either completely rushed, too slow to move and then make unforced turnovers. We then basically panic into "just get it forward" mode, which has led to the quality of our entries dropping down and those easier marks guys like Tex were getting (he averaged 3.25 marks inside 50 the first 4 weeks, he's had 3 the last fortnight).

They will spank us and the bathwater drinking will re-commence

Excellent
I have never cared less about a Showdown result.

Port thump us. Front runner status confirmed after last week.

Port win marginally. Good we were competitive, good sign for a young group going firward after the last three weeks.

Crows win. Pants off celebrate.....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So Lynch ruled out for at least 2 weeks. Predicted this would happen playing him injured, when we could have just have rested him for a week or so rather than playing him with lesser impact.

Hamill 50/50.

Brown looks more likely.

Sloane training, but needs clearance from his ophthalmologist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back