Analysis Changes vs Weagles Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I never usually complain about line-ups because I always assume the coaches and selectors know better than we do but I don't understand how both Scott and Mcomb get a gig over Cleary. Hopefully he's the sub.
Reckon that Cleary is the most likely to be sub

Not that I am aware of

A little surprised by his addition. Watching the 2’s play last week, he still looks pretty raw. Possibly a lack of other options maybe.

I’d love to know what the coaches think regarding his development and where they see him long term.

He’s got some X Factor, but just hasn’t put it all together in any game he’s played. If he does come on, he’s definitely got some weapons to be a damaging mid sized fwd.

Need to do better than Scott and McComb.

Daniel back is still a worry for mine. No hurt factor in his game at the moment and is a liability defensively.

Duryea was excellent last year but has been s**t house this year. Would've given him a VFL game or two first.

Smith out will hurt as its always a running game in the West.

Overall we should still win but can never take any games for granted.

Two Ruckman and three tall backman in the same line up.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Omg GIF

Never thought I'd see it.

A little surprised by his addition. Watching the 2’s play last week, he still looks pretty raw. Possibly a lack of other options maybe.

I’d love to know what the coaches think regarding his development and where they see him long term.

He’s got some X Factor, but just hasn’t put it all together in any game he’s played. If he does come on, he’s definitely got some weapons to be a damaging mid sized fwd.
I have a feeling that they might see him as that tall marking winger that still has decent running capacity. Can get back and help out defensively or work back the other way to be a bail out marking option down the line.
And on top of that if he can break free forward of the play still be a goal kicking threat

I have a feeling that they might see him as that tall marking winger that still has decent running capacity. Can get back and help out defensively or work back the other way to be a bail out marking option down the line.
And on top of that if he can break free forward of the play still be a goal kicking threat

I haven’t seen enough to judge on that. Obviously has a decent tank?

I reckon we'll get rolled without Bailey Smith. He's just about our most important player.

Can’t agree with that.
Don't expect many to. Think his biggest strength has been his ability to win one on ones and his reading of the play. Neither have been great this year to my eye. Hopefully he's just working through some form issues and not slowing down with age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see how Beveridge will utilise the two rucks. Like the start of last year, letting One do the centre square then letting English do his thing around the ground..Or one forward one rucking around the ground..Be an interesting game of new tactics for Bev.

I have a slightly different take on it.

I think the fourth emergency (and let's be honest probably the third emergency as well) is just a chance to give some kid a bit of hope that he's going OK and the selectors have noticed.

When was the last time we needed two late changes to the selected 22? Can anyone remember? Certainly a while.
Has there ever been a time in the last 5-10 years when we've made THREE late changes? Probably not. Once, if ever.
As for four late changes, no it just doesn't happen.

The four emergencies are there to provide different options depending on who the late out is, but I'd argue you don't really need four names unless it's just to keep your opponents guessing. So for instance Schache might come in if Gardner, Keath, Naughton, Sweet, English or maybe Khamis are a late withdrawal. Or Cleary might come in if a smaller player is a withdrawal.

Realistically though, who would Bedendo come in for that he would be a better option than Schache, Cleary or Jones? I can't think of any.

I presume we'll take two players as travelling emergencies. My guess would be Schache and either Cleary or Jones, with one of those last two (probably Cleary) to be the medi-sub. Or we might take all three just to be sure ... and as a development exercise for the young blokes.

I'd be very surprised if we take Bedendo. It's much more an announcement to the footy world that he's making good progress in his development and might get a run this year if he keeps on improving.

I agree he has some promise and will have a compelling highlights reel if he plays 50 or more games, but his time is not yet.

Can people seriously still not comprehend the concept of role players? Every team in the league has flawed players playing important roles and Mccomb is a long way off being the worst of them.

Sidenote, Anthony Scott isn't even in this category, he's a legitimately solid AFL footballer. Almost every team in the league would find a role for him.

Our fanbase clearly has a hatred of recruiting mature VFL players, which is understandable considering some of our previous busts, but it seriously clouds their judgement on players like this.

Last edited:
Seeing Sweet and English named in the same side brings joy to my heart. That will make a big difference to us for so many reasons. English can now spend some time forward and we don’t get a let down in the ruck, our midfield can now genuinely compete for the whole game. This move should have been done a long long time ago but I’m glad they have finally done it. Long may this continue.

Glad to see Doc back in the team. He would be one of the first few picked in any team I was selecting so love to have him back there, although I agree Cleary was stiff to miss out and was playing well, but his time will come. And great to see Flea back in the team as well.

Now we just need to get Baz, Hunter, JJ and Brucey back in and we are getting closer to full strength.

Can people seriously still not comprehend the concept of role players? Every team in the league has flawed players playing important roles and Mccomb is a long way off being the worst of them.

Sidenote, Anthony Scott isn't even in this category, he's a legitimately solid AFL footballer. Almost every team in the league would find a role for him.

Our fanbase clearly has a hatred of recruiting mature VFL players, which is understandable considering some of our previous busts, but it seriously clouds their judgement on players like this.
All for having good role players, McNeils one, Scott’s one even doc is one. But who are these players that are worse than McComb? I genuinely can’t think of many. I don’t think there’s a side in the top 10 he’d get a game for tbh

Bloke is seriously poor, a couple of scrappy goals & a few hard ball gets doesn’t change that, he is a liability and we’ll get found out against a good team very soon for playing him. But anyway, shouldn’t be this week so who cares

I'm just waiting for the center bounce where Sweet is in the ruck and English is playing as a mid at his feet.

Seriously tho, great to see some strucutre, 3 talls down back, two rucks, two talls down front, I don't get the hatred for Scott/McNeil, I can see it with McComb and his terrible disposals but his running ability does make up for it, does some good things off the ball putting blocks on and setting up quickly, I can see why Bevo brings him in.

Once Hunter is back tho I doubt McComb keeps his spot, would assume Hunter takes it over, Hunter/Bailey Williams on the wings sounds pretty good.

Not exactly sure but I think Scott is filling Hunter's role (mostly defensive left winger) and doing it pretty well.

Good to see Jones on the emergency list second week in a row. Building towards that debut.

As well as Bedendo, who has some elite traits and has the ability to develop into a very dangerous player at AFL level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stoked to have English/Sweet combo.

Let’s hope Sweet can develop some forward craft once English is fit to play more ruck.

As I would like for them to continue in tandem for the rest of the season.

Always great to welcome Weightman back, gives us that extra dimension.

Smith hurts big time but we have the miss to still get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back