Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, as I already said earlier, at this stage I'd have him in ahead of Jones. Obviously I'd be intending to move Jones in sooner rather than later, but for now I think Douglas gives us more. I'd also have Murphy and Hartigan out before him. Line ball with Knight. Not sure we need both Otten and Kelly, either. I don't count Mackay since he wasn't in the squad, but obviously him too.

I'm not saying he's a top-liner, but there seems to be a sense in this thread that we'd be idiots to play him, like he's some kind of scrubber. He's not. He's a quality player.

Odd post Stabby; I'd not sure how Douglas would go as a defender; especially a Key Position one...

Jones will get a bad case of the "general" at some stage. It would be awesome if Jones can play lots of football. I also don't see Jones taking a squirt through the midfield that Douglas does. I'm also concerned about the 9 posessions. Douglas had an "out-put" role can Jones sustain this at the moment.

I am in no way talking Jones down, I just don't think it is as simple an argument as "Jones is better than Douglas."

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
In the role, what attributes does Douglas have for the defensive small forward role?

I think we are all furiously in agreement that his effort and agression are outstanding. The comments about him early in the thread are playing out and we are all happy with what we see.

Yes, a low possession count can be a function of the role. But it can be a function of needing to get up to AFL pace. I'm sure Jones will get there though, and probably quite quickly.

I don't think it will be Jones that knocks Douglas out of the side. I think that might be Gallucci, when he's ready.

Douglas average 1.6 frees against last year.
He went under 20 possessions in 10 out of 17 games only got to 20 possessions in 1 of the losses last year.
He averaged 3 tackles per game
Disposal efficiency 66%
Clanger 3.3
Turnovers per game 4.4
Goals per game 0.8

Chayce in his 1st 2 practice games

7 possessions 3 tackles 1 goal against Port in 35% game time.
9 possessions 5 tackles 2 goals against GWS in 70% game time

Anyone justifying Dougie is based on emotion and not the crucial statistics.

He went under 20 possessions in 10 out of 17 games only got to 20 possessions in 1 of the losses last year.
Disposal efficiency 66%
Clanger 3.3
Turnovers per game 4.4
Goals per game 0.8

Non-statistical role

Disposal efficiency 66%
Clanger 3.3
Turnovers per game 4.4
Goals per game 0.8

As I said before, there is no knock on Jones. I was simply saying it's not a case of "Drop Douglas and Play Jones".

Jones has to earn his spot, looks like he will. But there are a few false dichotomy arguments.

Douglas also wasn't in the diabolical category last year that D-mac fell into under Sando and struggled to come out of. He also wasn't Robinson Crusoe in not completely setting the world on fire in 2018.

I don't think 1.59 FA can be used as evidence against Dougy in any way. It was the worst on our team but in terms of the AFL was equal 44th.

As noted before possessions often depend on the role played. I'm happy to be corrected, but our season caused me some selective/ IPA induced amnesia, but Dougy's role last year was not primarily in the key ball winning positions.

We are also not going to drop our 11th best tackler. Ok he's not our best, but hes a long way from getting dropped for not tackling, he also cannot be accused of being a squib in a contest.

Quoting poor stats from losses is also meaningless as losses are the result of poor team performance. Poor team performance also was a significant problem, this was not a Dougy problem.

Yes Douglas is getting squeezed out of the team, but I'm inclined to agree with Stabby's take.

I agree that over the course of the year we need to play emerging players when veterans drop in form. I do understand the trepidation that some fans have with how the AFC transition new talent.

As I said before, there is no knock on Jones. I was simply saying it's not a case of "Drop Douglas and Play Jones".

Jones has to earn his spot, looks like he will. But there are a few false dichotomy arguments.

Douglas also wasn't in the diabolical category last year that D-mac fell into under Sando and struggled to come out of. He also wasn't Robinson Crusoe in not completely setting the world on fire in 2018.

I don't think 1.59 FA can be used as evidence against Dougy in any way. It was the worst on our team but in terms of the AFL was equal 44th.

As noted before possessions often depend on the role played. I'm happy to be corrected, but our season caused me some selective/ IPA induced amnesia, but Dougy's role last year was not primarily in the key ball winning positions.

We are also not going to drop our 11th best tackler. Ok he's not our best, but hes a long way from getting dropped for not tackling, he also cannot be accused of being a squib in a contest.

Quoting poor stats from losses is also meaningless as losses are the result of poor team performance. Poor team performance also was a significant problem, this was not a Dougy problem.

Yes Douglas is getting squeezed out of the team, but I'm inclined to agree with Stabby's take.

I agree that over the course of the year we need to play emerging players when veterans drop in form. I do understand the trepidation that some fans have with how the AFC transition new talent.

Can you outline the skill set Douglas has over Jones as a small defensive forward?

Can you outline the skill set Douglas has over Jones as a small defensive forward?

Which Dougy? The guy that used to get 20+ disposals a game and poll most games in our bests or the Dougy that has struggled and looks like he is falling off the cliff?

It really depends on which Dougy we have. Are you calling it already? Is he cooked? If so, then you are right. We won’t make the tough call for a while and we’ll have to live with it until they make that call. I’m pretty close to calling it too. I just can’t bag the club for not making that call yet though. It’s not a forgone conclusion that Dougy is cooked. Even though it looks that way to me.

And if Dougy is that 20+ disposal player we used to know, he is getting picked. Whether it’s for Jones or somebody else, he will be in the 22. Doesn’t matter what skillset that guy he keeps out has.

Whats the odds on M Crouch to be the leading possession player for the season?

It'd be pretty close to 1, seeing Matty broke the possession record in 2017 (which I believe was subsequently smashed in 2018 by Mitchell)

The play to set up Sloane for a set shot was what excited me the most (Tex's handball included - thing of beauty). For him to realise there was no one for him to kick long to and to hold onto the ball for a few more steps before going short to Sloane, showed great composure.

Agreed, that sort of composure with his 10th? touch at the level is a really good sign. Plenty of others also - some strong tackles, pace & decision making reaction time.

Which Dougy? The guy that used to get 20+ disposals a game and poll most games in our bests or the Dougy that has struggled and looks like he is falling off the cliff?

It really depends on which Dougy we have. Are you calling it already? Is he cooked? If so, then you are right. We won’t make the tough call for a while and we’ll have to live with it until they make that call. I’m pretty close to calling it too. I just can’t bag the club for not making that call yet though. It’s not a forgone conclusion that Dougy is cooked. Even though it looks that way to me.

And if Dougy is that 20+ disposal player we used to know, he is getting picked. Whether it’s for Jones or somebody else, he will be in the 22. Doesn’t matter what skillset that guy he keeps out has.
You actually haven’t outlined the skill set Douggie has over Jones to play the small defensive forward role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately with a drop off in disposals theres no increase in 1%'s, tackles, disposal efficiency or goal scoring yet rates high in frees against, clangers, turnovers which are momentum killers

23rd out of 31 for disposal efficiency
1st for frees against
3rd for clangers
9th for tackles
7th in turnovers
11th for disposals
21st for marks
16th in 1 percenters
10th for goals
20th in disposal efficiency
9th in frees against
3rd in clangers
8th in tackles
6th in turnovers
5th in disposals
23rd in marks
20th in 1 percenters
11 in goals

Unfortunately with a drop off in disposals theres no increase in 1%'s, tackles, disposal efficiency or goal scoring yet rates high in frees against, clangers, turnovers which are momentum killers

23rd out of 31 for disposal efficiency
1st for frees against
3rd for clangers
9th for tackles
7th in turnovers
11th for disposals
21st for marks
16th in 1 percenters
10th for goals
20th in disposal efficiency
9th in frees against
3rd in clangers
8th in tackles
6th in turnovers
5th in disposals
23rd in marks
20th in 1 percenters
11 in goals
Wow

Unfortunately in JLT 1 & 2 its around the 13-14 mark. I know they are practice matches but the signs aren't good and didnt hit the score board

You actually haven’t outlined the skill set Douggie has over Jones to play the small defensive forward role

He isn’t ideal for the role. Mainly because of the lack of pace. But that won’t mean he won’t get picked in the 22 over Jones. If not Jones over somebody else.

In terms of his skill set, he used to kick goals. Roved the pack prett well. Was good when the ball is on the ground. Can set up goals. Wasn’t a bad player that Dougy and not too long ago. But his lack of pace would be a missed opportunity for us to play someone with real speed and tackling intensity to that role. But like I said. None of that will stop him being picked.

Unfortunately in JLT 1 & 2 its around the 13-14 mark. I know they are practice matches but the signs aren't good and didnt hit the score board

Yep. Writing is on the wall. But rightly or wrongly they’ll give him a chance and I wouldn’t bet against him. My guess is he will start the season reasonably well with one or two very good performances. Some, not me, will come on bf laying into those who wrote him off. But sometime after the bye he will drop off again, eventually lose his spot and then the “I told you so,s” will get their revenge :)

My guess anyway.

He isn’t ideal for the role. Mainly because of the lack of pace. But that won’t mean he won’t get picked in the 22 over Jones. If not Jones over somebody else.

In terms of his skill set, he used to kick goals. Roved the pack prett well. Was good when the ball is on the ground. Can set up goals. Wasn’t a bad player that Dougy and not too long ago. But his lack of pace would be a missed opportunity for us to play someone with real speed and tackling intensity to that role. But like I said. None of that will stop him being picked.
He's had a huge career. But all careers come to and end at some stage and an opportunity for another to begin.
Here's a pretty handy stat.

2013 AFL League Inside 50s Per Game Leaders (Minimum 5 Games Played)

Rank

Player

Team

Games

Average

1​

20​

6.05​

2​

25​

5.80​

3​

21​

5.38​

4​

22​

5.32​

Is that the only angle?

With our complex game style both offensively and defensively

With the rule changes notably the reduction in use of the runner

Dougie’s leadership is a big advantage

He also has uses the ball well around half forward. I think he is a better kick than Knight and Murphy. He is much more likely to hit a bullet pass to a leading forward in a small defensive gap.

Small forwards: Betts > Murphy > Knight > Dougie

With the fourth small in Dougie being a part time midfielder as with our zone he will push back into the midfield and then link up going forward. I think Dougie will be better at that than the other options.

That’s assuming he isn’t completely cooked like leg-arms was in his final year.

Douglas will last the whole season?

Jones is a kid still. We should get 10 games into him at least, but I think he'd be cooked at season end if we try to play him every game.

Jones is looking a winner, with his pace and superb tackling attributes. If you want to compare Jones and Dougy though, Dougy has a significant consistency over the course of his career.
If we’re judging Jones on JLT games, then he was ok in his first JLT and pretty good in his second JLT. This rates him (in my eyes) as ok to good, with significant potential sometime down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back