Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

So versatility counts for nought?
For instance if Dougy or Jones is being beaten by their opponent, who would have a better prospect of helping the team out if we flick them to other field positions? You know, like plan B or plan C.

We were ruthless with Thommo 2 years ago. I’d prefer to chop out Mackay first before Dougy. Dougy is the more tough bloke who can hurt by bumps. He is also the more versatile utility-type who can play in various parts of the ground, including midfield.

We’re thinking thereabouts. You’re seeing a Dougy as an outer regular 22. I’m seeing him as a barometer where kids need to aspire to and beat in order to get games.
Cmon John, dont talk s**t “I don’t remember”.

I’m happy to move on but you own what you say, you can’t deny you said, you actually said it twice, I’ve only bumped the one post.

Its not rubbish. If Dougy can get back to the form he was in when he was picking up 20+ touches and regularly getting in our bests he offers genuine cover through our midfield rotations if one of our big guns goes down. Remember Sloane getting KO'd? I am not saying that is enough to pick him, but its true that he provides that option if needed.

I think we are more likely to struggle if we lose a tall this year. We dont have Gov to send back, and if we dont replace him with Fogarty then we will struggle if one of our tall defenders goes down. Its not rubbish to have options if you lose any given player on game day.

So versatility counts for nought?
For instance if Dougy or Jones is being beaten by their opponent, who would have a better prospect of helping the team out if we flick them to other field positions? You know, like plan B or plan C.
Jones.

I've been a big Dougy fan throughout his career, but he has very very little left to give. He's no longer required in the midfield and he isn't a natural forward. That only leaves the backline and he ain't getting a gig back there either.

Its not rubbish. If Dougy can get back to the form he was in when he was picking up 20+ touches and regularly getting in our bests he offers genuine cover through our midfield rotations if one of our big guns goes down. Remember Sloane getting KO'd? I am not saying that is enough to pick him, but its true that he provides that option if needed.

I think we are more likely to struggle if we lose a tall this year. We dont have Gov to send back, and if we dont replace him with Fogarty then we will struggle if one of our tall defenders goes down. Its not rubbish to have options if you lose any given player on game day.

The point is Douglas can't get back to that form. He's been in a steady decline the last two seasons and he's now cooked.

It's not a matter of "if he just gets back to that form". In 2017 Thommo was never going to be able to get back to his best and it's the same with Douglas now

I'll give you the tip, he won't get back to that form, he's nearly done.

The 2nd paragraph has nothing to do with Richard Douglas but ill answer it anyway ?? We only threw Gov down there in dire circumstances anyway, and he barely played last year. I'm not concerned really.

The point is Douglas can't get back to that form. He's been in a steady decline the last two seasons and he's now cooked.

It's not a matter of "if he just gets back to that form". In 2017 Thommo was never going to be able to get back to his best and it's the same with Douglas now

The 2nd paragraph has nothing to do with Richard Douglas but ill answer it anyway ?? We only threw Gov down there in dire circumstances anyway, and he barely played last year. I'm not concerned really.

That is my gut feel too. I have already said that if you are both right, then he shouldn't be in the team this year. What if your wrong though? That is why I have bothered to argue this point. Its not that I don't see the decline. But if he manages to get back consistent form at near his best level, do you agree that he will be picked ahead of Jones? And if he does, is that such a bad thing? (assuming that he is playing quality football here).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is my gut feel too. I have already said that if you are both right, then he shouldn't be in the team this year. What if your wrong though? That is why I have bothered to argue this point. Its not that I don't see the decline. But if he manages to get back consistent form at near his best level, do you agree that he will be picked ahead of Jones? And if he does, is that such a bad thing? (assuming that he is playing quality football here).

He can prove he is back to his best in the SANFL then, not get automatically selected based on the assumption his form will improve

Jones.

I've been a big Dougy fan throughout his career, but he has very very little left to give. He's no longer required in the midfield and he isn't a natural forward. That only leaves the backline and he ain't getting a gig back there either.

In that case we're better off playing Fog.

He can prove he is back to his best in the SANFL then, not get automatically selected based on the assumption his form will improve

That would be a complete waste of time. Douglas is going to get a heap of possession in the SANFL and he will be one of our best players week in, week out. Just as Thommo was in the end. Mackay will be up there too. That doesnt mean that Dougy still has it at AFL level. The only way we drop him to the SANFL is if we have already made the call that he is absolutely no chance of being in our best 22, like Otten. That he is purely depth now. Maybe we have made that call.

But if we haven't, it makes sense to get that question and answer out of the way as soon as possible. The real worry that I have, is that we will continue to pick Dougy on sub par performances like JLT2. I will be joining you in calling for him to be dropped. But for his good service, he has earnt enough credits from me that if the coaches do decide to pick him, that I back that call. If he doesn't have it in him anymore then we just have to cross our fingers that the coaches will make the call.

That would be a complete waste of time. Douglas is going to get a heap of possession in the SANFL and he will be one of our best players week in, week out. Just as Thommo was in the end. Mackay will be up there too. That doesnt mean that Dougy still has it at AFL level. The only way we drop him to the SANFL is if we have already made the call that he is absolutely no chance of being in our best 22, like Otten. That he is purely depth now. Maybe we have made that call.

But if we haven't, it makes sense to get that question and answer out of the way as soon as possible. The real worry that I have, is that we will continue to pick Dougy on sub par performances like JLT2. I will be joining you in calling for him to be dropped. But for his good service, he has earnt enough credits from me that if the coaches do decide to pick him, that I back that call. If he doesn't have it in him anymore then we just have to cross our fingers that the coaches will make the call.

So you don't want Douglas picked on current form, but you do want him to be picked so we can figure out he is cooked at AFL level. But then you also think he's earned enough credits to be backed in if the coaches decide to pick him? An odd position to take.

Seems like you're trying to have it both ways.

In my opinion there is enough evidence to know he's cooked. He shouldn't be selected on form. He shouldn't be selected to find out if he has it (that's not the purpose of having a senior player at AFL level). We shouldn't select players based on how many credits they have

In that case we're better off playing Fog.
Why ?? Our gameplan appears to have been changed to accommodate more speed and defensive pressure, having Fog up there negates that.

Our 22 is likely to be the same as the one that started the GWS game, which means Douglas AND Jones play. From that side CEY, ROB, Fogarty and one of the tall defenders miss.

Unless they decide to go with Greenwood then someone else goes.

I reckon the biggest decision they'll need to make is Hartigan vs Keath.

Its ******* Chayce.
spellchecer-smash-e-gif.634494

Not when the wet day was seeing everyone slipping and sliding like a kid’s playground.

Anyway, I didn’t use the word ruthless. Why would we want to be ruthless to a person who has been a warrior with us for over 10 years? Let’s stop discussing about Thommo and ruthlessness, as this is a moot point.

Even better for a player like Thommo. Those are conditions where inside players shine seeing it heavily shuts down an outside game, and breaks a lot of structures down. It is the closest point AFL gets to a genuine territory game. It simply does not get better for a player like Thommo to have those conditions.

You did multiple times state we were ruthless with Thommo which is not a good hill to die on. The simple point there is we're here to be successful, not a nice social club. Thommo was a warrior, couldn't offer anymore and should have been delisted/retired. We're lucky that decision not too didn't come and wreck our season.

Why ?? Our gameplan appears to have been changed to accommodate more speed and defensive pressure, having Fog up there negates that.

Our 22 is likely to be the same as the one that started the GWS game, which means Douglas AND Jones play. From that side CEY, ROB, Fogarty and one of the tall defenders miss.

Unless they decide to go with Greenwood then someone else goes.

I reckon the biggest decision they'll need to make is Hartigan vs Keath.
By the way Greenwood was talking today I wouldn’t rule him out of playing rd 1, said he’s done more this preseason than before.

He also said he could play up forward, good overhead mark to replace Gov and tackling pressure. It’s only a matter of time before he’s back.

If that’s the position they have lined up for him, then only 2 of Douglas, Jones and Murphy can play.

Personally think it’s a great move with some time on ball.

We gave Gov a lot of time down there near the end of the season, though potentially that could be attributed to us planning to switch to a faster/smaller forward line for this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back