ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
Forget what he accomplished at Carlton, below are his accomplishments from his time with the Eagles. This alone makes him worthy of entering the Hall of Fame.

Congrats Juddy.

09EBB886-7F6D-46A4-8B13-9A65F6113ACC.jpeg

B1D1AA0B-8145-4BFC-B69C-4231852793FC.jpeg

Chris Judd

2002-2007 134 games (138 goals)

Last edited:

His best footy, circa 2005 through to the first half of 2007, was probably the best we’ve seen at the club - rivalled only by Glen Jakovich 1994-1996.

When he left, it broke a pretty broken club at the time but ultimately, we got the best of Judd and JK out of the equation, so I think we are all over that now.

Congratulations Juddy - please encourage your boys to play for WCE via Father-Son.

Best player I’ve ever seen and, with what he did for us then the impact of his trade on our future, I think he’s the most influential Eagle ever.

Agreed, his first five years were the best I’ve seen anyone come into the league and play. Was unstoppable when on. Took me a long time to forgive Juddy when he left but time heals all wounds and now I look back on those years very fondly.

Best player I’ve ever seen and, with what he did for us then the impact of his trade on our future, I think he’s the most influential Eagle ever.

Peak Judd was also the best player I've ever seen, but I'll have Woosha as the most influential Eagle ever.

I think he’s the most influential Eagle ever.
Him and Woosha no doubt the top two. Comfortably.

I reckon his arrival was a pretty big kick up the ass for a fair few blokes on our list that had been around for 3/4/5 years but were still not quite performing as required for AFL level football (not consistently anyway). I'm thinking guys like Gardiner, Cox, Embley, Fletcher, Braun, Glass, Hunter, Jones who all showed huge improvement after Judd's arrival. Obviously they were at an age were a good bit of natural improvement occurs (especially the taller blokes in that cohort), but for these guys they would have been early 20's when Judd arrives and within half a season he has already leapfrogged them into being one of the best players at the club. Probably makes someone rethink the standards they are setting for themselves when something like that occurs.

The removal of Ken Judge would no doubt have helped free up a few of the lads as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The names of players burst out when he talks of those times, in a way they never did on the occasions he spoke publicly at the time while as a player – Embley / Glass / Cox / Cousins / Kerr / Stenglein / Selwood / Banfield / Murphy / Carazzo / Walker / Gibbs / Kreuzer /Betts. What they did and what they gave.
Gee you'd be pretty happy with yourself if you were Matthew Kreuzer being named in the same sentence as Dean Cox, Ben Cousins, Darren Glass etc.

Done.

He was a fine, fine player from 2004-2007. I think some people have almost forgotten that the answer to 'who is the best player in the comp?' was regularly Chris Judd in that period.
I don't think it was even a question through 2005 and 2006. Judd was comfortably the man with Goodes and Cousins probably the closest contenders during those seasons.

Funnily enough his Brownlow medal seasons were probably not in his top two years at either club.

An absolute star who could rip a game apart like few others. That to me has always been the difference between the really really good and the great.
Take a game, totally dominate it, and no matter what the other team does, continue to dominate. Win a game while everyone basically looks on in awe.
That was peak Judd.

Guys like Peter Matera, Andrew McLeod, Wayne Carey, Lance Franklin and a few others are like this. Get them in that mood and all you can do is stand back and admire the perfection.

Despite leaving he deserves to be recognized as one of the greatest and best Eagles ever.

Despite leaving he deserves to be recognized as one of the greatest and best Eagles ever.
I think most were resigned to him heading back to Victoria at some point.

Him leaving with the circumstances the club found themselves in was the grating point. Would have been nice for him to sign one more year to help steady the ship a little bit with an agreement to trade him at the conclusion of 2008. But at the same time the club ****ed itself over a fair bit and that wasn't Judd's fault. Should he be expected to stick around and help clean up the mess when he is looking to move forward with his life? I'm not sure where I sit on that one right now.

But getting Kennedy worked out spectacularly well and given JK has played an extra six years (maybe more) and was pivotal to a flag there's a strong argument we've actually ended up on the better end of that trade.

If that above scenario played out (trading Judd post 2008) there's a pretty strong chance we still end up with JK in a fairly identical trade just with different draft selections. No Marsden memes though :(

Last edited:
lol Listening to him on MMM talking to Embers and Read he said he felt like he betrayed his teammates leavings. Even sounded.....regretting it lol

It’s kind of a shame, just never got a good send off after he left.

The booing in his first game back showed how much it hurt because we cared so much.

Would be great if, and now he’s not involved with Carlton, could come back to Optus one day and do something game day so he can see how much he actually meant to us

Reinvented his game moving east and won another Brownlow as a result at a basketcase club. Recency bias means he'll be mostly remembered as a Carlton champion and not an eagles one. A shame. Personally I hate the prick, and everything else that happened in the 2007 off season.
Harsh man. Water under the bridge by now.
With hindsight I can kind of understand why he got out. And he's always defended the Eagles whenever he's grilled about our team's habits during that period

A Wce legend, you can definitely see why he left the club and you can’t really blame him. The club was a mess at the time and handled the whole drug culture terribly.

A very smart and well spoken man, who you can see is still fond of his time at the club, would love too see him back in some form although highly unlikely!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back