Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't change anything, they're too committed now. Annoying thing is it wouldn't be hard to send a message - drop Motlop, send Blicavs to the VFL, actually promote players on merit - but good luck on any of that happening.
Or trade Blicavs and Motlop to bring in quick mids of actual quality.

While I think Scott won't have too much pressure on him I am beginning to Really question is caliber. This is nothing new as I question what he does a lot but the personal that make up the players and coaches just doesn't seem right. Our game strategy is ineffective and it's putrid to watch. I doubt Scott's on the move but continuing this trend will no doubt end in his sacking.

He is by far our most inconsistent player, but last night was a shocker.
One effective disposal in the whole 1st half - one - and even with Smith absolutely dominating the ruck contests, Stanley was so poor there that they replaced him with Blicavs, who continued to combine very well with Smith in our ruck domination.
My St Kilda mates said he was a dud. Beginning to believe them

Also think Harry Taylor has got off lightly this year. His best is past and with a couple of years of his lucrative contract left.

not sure where you posted it - in this thread or the 'preview' thread - but you were bang on with your comments about the fact we would struggle to kick anything close to a competitive score friday night... i didnt think we were going to be putting up 20 goals, but i didnt quite expect the 'wet fire-cracker' that you predicted either.
Well you could see that we had a clear problem scoring at the MCG this season anyway and we had a forward line with only one genuine small forward in it and outside of Linc no pace whatsoever. We need to trade to get real pace and skill in to our team, personally I reckon we should be throwing the kitchen sink at Walters from Freo but we won't, we'll just keep bumbling away under Scott becoming more and more of a mediocre team in the process.

So all week there have been demands on BF for Hendo to play KF. He was underdone, it did not work, but how do you reconcile that. It was a bold erroneous move perhaps. Harry looked good there, maybe augurs well for his twilight years, when Hendo stays back.
I actually think Hendo has at times shown a bit as a forward... but the bloke has played 1 game there all year (against s**t opposition) and has missed a month of footy... he was always going to struggle.

I said to my boss next to me in the 1st quarter that if they wanted that set up they needed to swap Harry and Lachie... Henderson didn't have the touch amd at least as a defender he could spoil his way into the game, and Harry at least will compete better and likely take some marks.

If I'm saying that and can see it in the 1st it is a touch worrying that it took until the 3rd quarter for the coaches to see it

Credit to BlightysCats
In another thread he said it would be 6 goals.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD tell me you put $$ on that exact winning amount.

You should be rolling in it.

As for the game, it really was the footy equivalent of a dunny bowl stain.
The biggest head scratcher for me was Hendo forward. He's been an integral defender all year long and first bounce he's forward.

There is the ambush theory I guess - it'll surprise them more than us - that lasted about 38 seconds

Lots to take in

GO Catters

Credit to BlightysCats

The biggest head scratcher for me was Hendo forward. He's been an integral defender all year long and first bounce he's forward.

There is the ambush theory I guess - it'll surprise them more than us - that lasted about 38 seconds

Lots to take in

GO Catters
Really appreciate that, I know how hard it must've been for you ;)

I cop my fair whack for the outrageous stuff I say on here, and some of the foolish predictions I've made so it's nice to get any credit for actually getting a few things right - as unfortunate as those things are.

Really appreciate that, I know how hard it must've been for you ;)

I cop my fair whack for the outrageous stuff I say on here, and some of the foolish predictions I've made so it's nice to get any credit for actually getting a few things right - as unfortunate as those things are.
mate, forget getting any credit from the board, your one of the best posters who certainly knows their footy. You have been predominantly right all along. Unfortunately, there will always be a large chunk of Geelong fans who still have their heads stuck in the sand, nothing will ever change their views but slowly but surely, those who have been questioning this coaching staff are starting to be proven right. I go further than the coaching staff, I look at the list manager and recruiting and point the fingger at those people. For too many years they have been lauded due to a small period of absolute success (07-11). Since that time, the football club has taken a significant step back and we are not even close to many of this years finalists when it comes to off field excellence. The recruiting has been alarming. I hear the club is now keen on Daniel Wells . . . please tell me I'm dreaming Blighty. Have a look at how player contracts have been dealt with for example, extending Murdoch, Horlin-Smith and Smedts contracts while on the sidelines. Extending veterans like Kelly or Mackie when they could have ensured it was a year-by-year proposition instead of having to deal withthe embarrassing circumstances of playing these guys even once they hit the wall a couple of months into that final contract extension. Does Bartel get another year despite clearly showing us all that he is all but washed up and will only give the club a few classical 'Bartel-esque' perfromances here or there? When will Chris Scott be held accountable. He has not made it to another grand final for five years. This year he had absolutely no excuses. Sydney were missing Mills, McVeigh and lost Aliir at halftime. They had to fly from Sydney to Melbourne over the course of a 6 day break and they also took in banged up players such as Tippett & Rohan. How the hell did this team boot 7 goals to zip in the first quarter? How come so many young players make little to no improvement under Chris Scott?

mate, forget getting any credit from the board, your one of the best posters who certainly knows their footy. You have been predominantly right all along. Unfortunately, there will always be a large chunk of Geelong fans who still have their heads stuck in he sand, nothing will ever change their views but slowly but surely, those who have been questioning this coaching staff are starting to be proven right. I go further than the coaching staff, I look at the list manager and recruiting and point the fingger at those people. For too many years they have been lauded due to a small period of absolute success (07-11). Since that time, the football club has taken a significant step back and we are not even close to many of this years finalists when it comes to off field excellence. The recruiting has been alarming. I hear the club is now keen on Daniel Wells . . . please tell me I'm dreaming Blighty. Have a look at how player contracts have been dealt with for example, extending Murdoch, Horlin-Smith and Smedts contracts while on the sidelines. Extending veterans like Kelly or Mackie when they could have ensured it was a year-by-year proposition instead of having to deal withthe embarrassing circumstances of playing these guys even once they hit the wall a couple of months into that final contract extension. Does Bartel get another year despite clearly showing us all that he is all but washed up and will only give the club a few classical 'Bartel-esque' perfromances here or there? When will Chris Scott be held accountable. He has not made it to another grand final for five years. This year he had absolutely no excuses. Sydney were missing Mills, McVeigh and lost Aliir at halftime. They had to fly from Sydney to Melbourne over the course of a 6 day break and they also took in banged up players such as Tippett & Rohan. How the hell did this team boot 7 goals to zip in the first quarter? How come so many young players make little to no improvement under Chris Scott?

I think your wrong in laying the blame at Scott

Geelong could get in a new coach next year - but the Cats are in for some lean years whoever is coach - the veterans going - there isnt that much depth

Common thread of all posters- Geelong need pace in the backline - and in the midfield and need a CHF - wheres all that suddenly coming from - especially with GWS who have a great list and 7 picks in the 1st 35 this draft year - good luck to anyone who are a bit off the pace to improve

If i was Scott and a career coach id call it a day at Geelong - 6 years - same as Blight

Youve got to have the cattle Bobby - Geelong hasnt got it - nor have about 12 other sides

Doesnt excuse Geelongs lack of heart last night - the only possible "Out " for Geelong is if GWS also get jumped at the start after having the double break etc

Theres no magic wand mate

Credit to BlightysCats

Lots to take in

Yeah, quite a few things to ponder. Be keen to get your thoughts on a number of things, will post when I've got more time.

mate, forget getting any credit from the board, your one of the best posters who certainly knows their footy. You have been predominantly right all along. Unfortunately, there will always be a large chunk of Geelong fans who still have their heads stuck in the sand, nothing will ever change their views but slowly but surely, those who have been questioning this coaching staff are starting to be proven right. I go further than the coaching staff, I look at the list manager and recruiting and point the fingger at those people. For too many years they have been lauded due to a small period of absolute success (07-11). Since that time, the football club has taken a significant step back and we are not even close to many of this years finalists when it comes to off field excellence. The recruiting has been alarming. I hear the club is now keen on Daniel Wells . . . please tell me I'm dreaming Blighty. Have a look at how player contracts have been dealt with for example, extending Murdoch, Horlin-Smith and Smedts contracts while on the sidelines. Extending veterans like Kelly or Mackie when they could have ensured it was a year-by-year proposition instead of having to deal withthe embarrassing circumstances of playing these guys even once they hit the wall a couple of months into that final contract extension. Does Bartel get another year despite clearly showing us all that he is all but washed up and will only give the club a few classical 'Bartel-esque' perfromances here or there? When will Chris Scott be held accountable. He has not made it to another grand final for five years. This year he had absolutely no excuses. Sydney were missing Mills, McVeigh and lost Aliir at halftime. They had to fly from Sydney to Melbourne over the course of a 6 day break and they also took in banged up players such as Tippett & Rohan. How the hell did this team boot 7 goals to zip in the first quarter? How come so many young players make little to no improvement under Chris Scott?
I completely agree with your analysis of the GFC, why we'd be targeting Deledio and Wells is beyond me?!? We need to get youth, pace, and athleticism in to our team - apart from Dangerfield we have no dynamic players. I really hope we recruit players with speed in this offseason or we could be in for a dramatic fall back down the ladder next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't you tell me I am wrong , you haven't made one prediction right and I have been spot on about Geelong this year.

Blighty why don't you tell us about how Thompson in his first 7 years as coach was only able to win 2 finals ? Yes that 2 finals wins in 7 years , Thompson failed

Or you can tell us how Blight took us to 3 GF and couldn't win 1 , hey you keep saying we had a poor defence why didn't Blight do anything to fix it ?

Scott is the best coach we have had over the past 40 years .
So, you predicted 3 flags over the next 5 years, one year is now done and dusted and we had the best fixture we will ever see again, not to mention a very generous run with injuries. Tell us all crazy, Geelong must win the flag next year right? Surely Scott gets it done in his final year as coach? What excuses do you make for the 7 goals to 0 opening term by the way :D

You know what happens when coaches aren't performing? Their reckoning comes.

ix4az4.jpg

I completely agree with your analysis of the GFC, why we'd be targeting Deledio and Wells is beyond me?!? We need to get youth, pace, and athleticism in to our team - apart from Dangerfield we have no dynamic players. I really hope we recruit players with speed in this offseason or we could be in for a dramatic fall back down the ladder next year.
Wells and Deledio would only be for 1-2 years, if we fall into the NM trap of thinking we can go one step further.But DYNAMIC they are.
Like you guys, I now don't think we are up to premiership standard with our list. At the start of 2016, I was pretty upbeat about our inclusions, and fair enough to give them one more year, but with our expected departures, and no backup for Hawkins, we will struggle.
Where we differ is continuing to blame CS.
Our list is just not that good to compete with teams that pressure us. I doubt we will beat Pies next year.
You talk about needing dynamic players- how do we get them?
If they are any good, why would they leave for us?
Motlop is dynamic enough, but has issues clearly.
Cockatoo may develop.
I am happy enough to accept this season as a major improvement, we were often exciting, we were hard to beat 18 times this year.
Would a new coach have achieved more ? Who knows? I don't honestly feel that is the major issue. You may be correct, time will tell.
And as far as flags go, honestly believe that could take the rest of my lifetime, and no, I am not bitter about that. We are not destined to keep winning flags, we are not Hawthorn- we are not entitled like many young people think and behave.

I think your wrong in laying the blame at Scott

Doesnt excuse Geelongs lack of heart last night - the only possible "Out " for Geelong is if GWS also get jumped

as I have said before, we seem to have an increasing number of 'Comfortable' players who just punch the card and then pick up their cheques. When the heat was on last night they went missing. My main beef with Scott is that he seems to be more lenient towards these sort of performances than the other top level coaches.
We are heading for Richmond territory if this attitude continues.

Well you could see that we had a clear problem scoring at the MCG this season anyway and we had a forward line with only one genuine small forward in it and outside of Linc no pace whatsoever. We need to trade to get real pace and skill in to our team, personally I reckon we should be throwing the kitchen sink at Walters from Freo but we won't, we'll just keep bumbling away under Scott becoming more and more of a mediocre team in the process.
Bit unfair...they were playing off in a prelim

I usually hate posters that say this, but 10 minutes into the first term I was saying it was time for Henderson to be switched for Taylor. That's not me trying to claim I'm a better coach by any stretch, but it was clear Sydney's plan was to divide and conquer our back-line while Hendo was clearly struggling to find his rhythm up forward. The warning signs were there for all to see very early, unfortunately they were far too slow to react.

RE Chris Scott's coaching, I think our best 22 probably has the worst bottom 4-5 of the preliminary finalists. Needs to find a way to get more out of these players, unfortunately even our mid bracket haven't really improved as much as you'd like in the past 3 years. Scott's either got to find a way to lift these players standards or just get these players to play a simple role that they're capable of doing.

OK, I'm on record here:

The break before the finals will be a disaster for the winning top for first finals week teams including GWS. It helps the bottom 4 winners a great deal. One game in 27 days is a ludicrous prep for a prelim.

Most think GWS will win? Bulldogs are $3.15, and I have just put a whopping $30 on the Bulldogs. If I'm wrong, I'll have you all shot to cover it up, and I'll delete this post. Can't be fairer than that.

Boasting rights.

Reg, you are one of those folks on here who often talk trash and get em wrong most of time. The limited times you are right . . . you go around here acting as though you are king dick. You say the Bulldogs are a great chance with such generous odds of $3.20 or whatever they are, mate, you have no clue about this game. The Greater Western Sydney Giants are a monster in the making. The AFL knew this would happen to one of ther beloved love child's. They just didn't realize it was going to be such a quick dynasty. Don't get me wrong . . . I have been on the Dogs bandwagon all year long (yes, that Hamling fella is doing alright isn't he), but GWS are something else all together. They will beat the Dogs by about 4 goals after a close three quarters and then it's all setup for what the corrupt AFL wanted from the very beginning, Sydney vs GWS grand final!

Four goals, eh? So the Bulldogs won by a goal. A 5 goal turnaround. And I predicted the Bulldogs to win because playing one game in a month is an absolute joke for the winning top 4 sides. An insult.

It cost GWS a spot in the GF.

I would say it cost us 5 goals too. A one goal defeat to Sydney is where I think we are.

And you Bobby_ are a know-all/know-nothing, mate.

If I want to listen to your tripe, I can go to B13 and read HodgePodge go on about Bartel. It's better, and funnier. You both go into hysterics when we lose. You both target Geelong identities relentlessly.

At least I didn't have to shoot anyone.:D

Last edited:
It's clear the thing we lack is a coach that can extract the most out of the players on the list. I dont for a second think we dont have the talent to go all the way. What we need is a coach who is prepared to make tough calls on players during the year for the betterment of the team. Tactics and structures can be improved by anyone, but if Scott cant find a way to extract every ounce of effort from the mid tier players who should be taking the step up to elite by now but arent, then we must look elsewhere. Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Kolo, Motlop (if he stays), and Murdoch have all shown the potential to be great footballers consistently, but have instead stagnated or regressed under Scotts tenure as coach. I could have named a few more but didnt as injuries have played a part in their problems.

Scotts inability to enforce discipline and team work ethic have seemingly lead to a general apathy that has permeated among the players. Rather than challenging them to be better he has instead allowed poor performance after poor performance to be rewarded with more senior games. This can only really lead the players to believe that they are safe. Even though the players underneath them do well at VFL level, Scott never makes the move to punish lazy, arrogant players on the list. If he cant do it then someone else must be brought in.

If you want to see what it looks like to get the most out of your list just have a look at what Beveridge is doing with Footscray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back