Chris Yarran sentenced to prison for five years for crime spree across Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad story- and sadly an all too familiar one with many good kids.

The average person could not come close to understanding how it is not simply a matter of making 'good' and 'bad' choices.

I'm not excusing this behaviour- yet, intergenerational trauma combined with lack of stability of supportive, caring and loving home life, especially during early years of life puts so many young people well behind the 8-ball from day dot.

Hopefully he is able to be rehabilitated and help others learn from his mistakes
But what it boils down to is choice. I doubt anyone believes turning to drugs is a good fix for whatever problems they may or may not have but plenty of people 'self-medicate', ie, become users. Who is to say he had issues that 'made' (choice) him turn to drugs anyway, that the drugs didn't cause his problems?

"“He was mentally unwell but one would expect that … with chronic meth use,” the lawyer said. Judge Linda Petrusa said Yarran’s crime spree had left “a trail of devastation”. "

It's also not all about him, it's about protecting the community from people like him. Lock one person away to prevent 5 others being robbed or bashed? I can live with that, regardless of why the offender did it.

I posted on here a few years back that his mental health issues were cover for an ice addiction that Carlton knew about when he was traded.

A mod carded me for calling it then, even though I had some inside knowledge about his drug use

Well what do you know, I have been proven correct!!!
There were some rumours about him way back when he was at Swan districts as a kid.

But what it boils down to is choice. I doubt anyone believes turning to drugs is a good fix for whatever problems they may or may not have but plenty of people 'self-medicate', ie, become users. Who is to say he had issues that 'made' (choice) him turn to drugs anyway, that the drugs didn't cause his problems?

"“He was mentally unwell but one would expect that … with chronic meth use,” the lawyer said. Judge Linda Petrusa said Yarran’s crime spree had left “a trail of devastation”. "

It's also not all about him, it's about protecting the community from people like him. Lock one person away to prevent 5 others being robbed or bashed? I can live with that, regardless of why the offender did it.

You don't choose your upbringing.

Agree re: protecting community- yet we are treating the symptoms not the cause

The coverage of this case has been weird in that the actual details of the case have been completely ignored. The entire argument is he decided to go on a suicide mission. Essentially he was egging the cops to shoot him so he could die.

Its been a bit weird that its been excluded from every report about the case given that its the number 1 takeaway from it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coverage of this case has been weird in that the actual details of the case have been completely ignored. The entire argument is he decided to go on a suicide mission. Essentially he was egging the cops to shoot him so he could die.

Its been a bit weird that its been excluded from every report about the case given that its the number 1 takeaway from it

Same way they report suicides attempts on train lines as “trains are delayed due to an incident”.

They don’t want to encourage copy cats by providing the details.

3 years non-parole seems a bit harsh.
Did you not read the part where tried to take a police officers gun after assaulting a couple of people, including the cop with the gun?

Who knows what would have happened if he had got that gun, needs that 3 years to get his head screwed back on

At least they cant harm any of us so thats good. He can choose to be a junkie in jail or clean up.

So you don't really care about the outcomes for them, as long as they just go away and leave you alone? OK...

That's the problem with a lot of justice, it's about locking people away and making it someone else's problem, rather than actually rehabilitating people, or working on the societal factors, that cause the mental issues, that cause the crimes and drug use, etc.

So you don't really care about the outcomes for them, as long as they just go away and leave you alone? OK...

That's the problem with a lot of justice, it's about locking people away and making it someone else's problem, rather than actually rehabilitating people, or working on the societal factors, that cause the mental issues, that cause the crimes and drug use, etc.

Work in the justice system??

I imagine his cousin passing probably pushed him back over the edge. Genuine shame for such a good footy player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back