News Collingwood/Richmond - Why The Hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

After we win this weekend, there will be a similar article about the deep history of the Collingwood - Melbourne rivalry.

And then after we win the following week, there will be a similar article titled “A tale of two clubs” about the deep history of the Collingwood - Carlton rivalry and how one of them became 2018 Premiers and the other became 2018 Wooden Spooners.

They should be a great read, very much looking forward to them! :D
Great thinking 76. They can add a little addendum to the Carlton article maybe expressing pride and surprise at Carlton in 2018 being the first club to ever to do the double.

Many people may have proffered different reasons for the hatred.
It's fair to say the intensity has simmered or been non-existent in the last 35+ years.
That all changed last year and continued on into this year.
Here's an article detailing when it supposedly began...
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bad-blood-aplenty-between-pies-and-tigers-20180918-p504fq.html

Great reading that article Anzacday,
My late great grandmother a Richmond supporter spoke so highly of Jack Dyer!
She really did have a dislike for Collingwood and also South Melbourne.
The other thing she preferred the VFA and Sandringham and followed that more than the VFL.

Sorry I just don't feel the hate folks. I used to hate the bald headed git when he was relevant. Pretty much the same with the tigers, they have been so irrelevant for so long any feeling towards them has evaporated. It doesn't come close to the how I feel about Carlton. Don't know much about their board but their banter thread always has some reasonable characters. Maybe some feelings might be rekindled if we have some decent contests over the next few years but frankly when we burst their bubble this weekend they go back to being irrelevant and the hate becomes all theirs.

Great reading that article Anzacday,
My late great grandmother a Richmond supporter spoke so highly of Jack Dyer!
She really did have a dislike for Collingwood and also South Melbourne.
The other thing she preferred the VFA and Sandringham and followed that more than the VFL.
Your Nanna might have disliked the Bloods due to a certain flog named Robert Pratt.....

For all visiting Ninth supporters, you might recall fondly the 1933 Grand Final. The height of the Great Depression must have been even more so for you poor muppets. The foreign legion certainly held sway, and I feel with all the players we have recruited from interstate, we could be considered quite foreign ourselves. Maybe after Friday night, we will be a bit more familiar to you.....

Bless your Nanna mate. Helps me recall some of the Dyerisms, which probably resulted from old Jack copping one to many knocks to the peanut.

In the modern day but the seeds were set many moons ago with the likes of Cloke and Raines - the poaching wars of the 80's fuelled the rivalry.

A banner back in the early 80's started a s**t fight which simply read "Out in the Woods, without a Cloke, and it Raines" after the Pies pinched their players which led to Tigers nearly luring Peter Daicos from Collingwood with a bucket load of cash.

These 2 clubs have been pinching players backwards and forwards from each other and have enjoyed doing so to the point where it's infuriated each club and ended up at appeals boards and courts over the years.

Names like Walsh, Cloke, Raines, Taylor, Stewart, McCormack and Annear have played more a part in this rivalry than Treloar - I suspect there's more fuel to be thrown on the fire with both clubs moving towards the pointy end now.

Your Nanna might have disliked the Bloods due to a certain flog named Robert Pratt.....

For all visiting Ninth supporters, you might recall fondly the 1933 Grand Final. The height of the Great Depression must have been even more so for you poor muppets. The foreign legion certainly held sway, and I feel with all the players we have recruited from interstate, we could be considered quite foreign ourselves. Maybe after Friday night, we will be a bit more familiar to you.....

Bless your Nanna mate. Helps me recall some of the Dyerisms, which probably resulted from old Jack copping one to many knocks to the peanut.

I have to dig out out a book,
But apparently he was a good half forward back in 1940 something and South made him an offer to cross over from Sandy so he went there.
Then during the practice games the Bloods would not kick the ball to him.

In the modern day but the seeds were set many moons ago with the likes of Cloke and Raines - the poaching wars of the 80's fuelled the rivalry.

A banner back in the early 80's started a s**t fight which simply read "Out in the Woods, without a Cloke, and it Raines" after the Pies pinched their players which led to Tigers nearly luring Peter Daicos from Collingwood with a bucket load of cash.

These 2 clubs have been pinching players backwards and forwards from each other and have enjoyed doing so to the point where it's infuriated each club and ended up at appeals boards and courts over the years.

Names like Walsh, Cloke, Raines, Taylor, Stewart, McCormack and Annear have played more a part in this rivalry than Treloar - I suspect there's more fuel to be thrown on the fire with both clubs moving towards the pointy end now.
I was at that game. It actually read

"Just a Tigers luck
Caught in the Woods
Without a Cloke
And it Raines"

One of the greatest banners ever.

Never heard of her.

In reference to bigfooty, probably because there posters are like a brain dead hive mind.

You go onto their forum and it's just manic personal attacks and clueless posts. I don't say this lightly but they are a cancer to BigFooty and a cancer to football in general.

Loud and ignorant.
This.
Visit their board for 10 minutes. Read some posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the hate? Bloody easy, go over to their board. 5 seconds that’s all you need.
star-wars-smaller.gif

Why I hate Richmond and in no particular order:
The antithesis of a team player - Hungry Bartlett
Caroline Wilson
Captain Blood lauded for being a thug and a sniper because they had nothing else to be proud about
Richmond continuously claiming to have made a profit, but the profit sheet showed it was being stumped up by AFL loans and equalisation fund
Being irrelevant for 37 years
12 coaches in 20 years
Bartlett calling for the AFL to investigate how Treloar ended up at the Pies. Would have been interesting to see Richmond being cited for colluding with the GWS' CEO without Treloar's knowledge
For giving us Geoff Raines
For being Richmond

To be honest I've always thought Collingwood & Richmond supporters were cut from the same cloth. So I roll my eyes when they give it the ' Collingwood feral, criminal, rough as guts' yawn.

I can cop that from the Melbourne, Hawthorn, Carlton types... but Richmond?

I was travelling via train on the Hurstbridge line a couple of months back to a concert in the city. I had a mate with me (Richmond supporter - there is the odd decent one in the wild) and as we approached Victoria Park/Collingwood the jokes about the toothless Pies supporters started. Guess who got on at Collingwood station? A guy with no teeth.......

in a Richmond jumper :D

To be honest I've always thought Collingwood & Richmond supporters were cut from the same cloth. So I roll my eyes when they give it the ' Collingwood feral, criminal, rough as guts' yawn.

I can cop that from the Melbourne, Hawthorn, Carlton types... but Richmond?
I did like Tony Jewel’s statement the “all the rats in Melbourne are bred in Richmond and Collingwood “

Nothing can beat my loathing of Carlton, but they are second on the hit list now. When we win on Friday it’s going to be fun listening to kB dribbling on.

I grew up in Richmond. My dad was a Tigers' man. He never understood how his wife and three children could love Collingwood. To him, to barrack for the Collingwood Catholics was unforgivable.
We were allowed to go to Sunday School, provided it was to St Stephens in Richmond. I was forbidden to go anywhere near St Ignatius. Even now when I am in the area, I feel my dad's hatred for the Catholics and Collingwood. It was one of the reasons my love for the black and white and hatred of Richmond was set in stone.

I was there in 1980 and suffered the humiliation of three successive GF losses.

I'm strangely confident about Friday. Time for redemption.

Go Pies!

I grew up in Richmond. My dad was a Tigers' man. He never understood how his wife and three children could love Collingwood. To him, to barrack for the Collingwood Catholics was unforgivable.
We were allowed to go to Sunday School, provided it was to St Stephens in Richmond. I was forbidden to go anywhere near St Ignatius. Even now when I am in the area, I feel my dad's hatred for the Catholics and Collingwood. It was one of the reasons my love for the black and white and hatred of Richmond was set in stone.

I was there in 1980 and suffered the humiliation of three successive GF losses.

I'm strangely confident about Friday. Time for redemption.

Go Pies!

My Dad was from Richmond, and mum was from Abbotsford. Dad was a Tigers supporter, and knew Jack Dyer, although he was younger than him. Both went to St Ignatius.

Its a long tradition in our family (on Mum's side) for the females to support the Pies. Dad never objected, even when I became an - ahem - extreme version of it.

The three most debated topics in our wider family were football, politics and religion. Pies V Tigers, Labor V Liberal, and Catholics V everyone else. I grew up on this stuff.

Glad that at least the sectarianism has died off.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back