List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022--> PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on the pussies 3 acquisitions.

NONE of them are regular starting senior players. They may develop but still speculation and they still have to leapfrog current premiership players.
The pick 7 is a bonus however. Would love another team grab Clark from under their noses.
The 'go home' factor might put other clubs off.

Whoever we go after next year I would bet that if the chance came to inconvenience Mackie and the handbaggers WITHOUT disrupting our own plans he would take it.

Karma is fine but revenge is a fine vintage to be savoured.

AFL ladder is going to look like the AFLW ladder next year.

The gap between the top teams and the bottoms teams has extended after this trade period.
It’s in an interesting thought and one I’m open to, but not convinced by.

I don’t think there was much change at the top end. Geelong brought in 3 guys who will build their VFL depth. Melbourne added Grundy, but at the expense of Jackson (I don’t rate Schache or Hunter). Sydney like Geelong built on their VFL depth. We added best 22 fits, but outside of Mitchell the quality is questionable. Bulldogs losing Dunkley will hurt. Fremantle gave up a lot to bring in a young ruck which was already a position of strength. Carlton didn’t do much. Port I’m not as big on JHF as most yet and Rioli offsets the loss of Grey.

The only win now teams that definitely improved were Brisbane and Richmond with Gunston/ McStay netting off, but Dunkley a big tick plus Ashcroft every chance to do a Naicos. Richmond is definitely better with TT and Hopper with no significant losses.

At the other end I wouldn’t consider the moves of WC and North taking them backwards necessarily because I don’t see the output of the guys they lost as hard to cover. For instance Hunt is the equal of Rioli and Logue/ Tucker are currently better quality than JHF. Both GWS and Hawthorn though have gone backwards at a significant rate.

Gut feel is it’s the same as most years where the rot started for bad teams and the ones that will bounce got the ball rolling.

I think there is going to be bad feelings from this because of how Mackie and Henry's management team chose to play it.

Trading out the 23' 2nd rounder was a cynical tactic to retain the Cats future 1st and to squeeze us with pick 25.

The language from Henry's management team to create leverage: development, pay, environment, brother, homesick trying to paint us in a poor light was really ordinary.

It's well known Geelong treat the Falcons as their personal zone and work on getting the cream home at the 1st opportunity. Clearly this happened with Ollie.

It makes those tactics I just described pretty disgraceful and says a lot about your footy club. I'm satisfied we made the best of a bad hand but I don't think how it played out will be forgotten by us.
I honestly believe that this administration should never have any dealings whatsoever with Geelong initiated trades or deals again.

It’s a little funny that Melbourne are being praised for Grundy despite taking on most if not all his contract for the 4 years beyond ‘23, yet at the same time we were criticised when the contract was done. Another example of long term contracts being ok for some clubs, but not others?
it will be interesting to read the retrospective articles written in 2 years time

I don't believe it is slashing the cap so much as re-distribution - GW and Sly have unrelentingly talked about doing this and it makes sense.

Roughy retired, Grundy we are paying out in a lump sum this year, the Browns simply were never going to make it big, McMahon hasn't show enough and the little bitch was desperate to be a big fish in a small pond again.

We needed a capable tall at either end, a live wire small forward and a clearance beast.

Mission accomplished and we still have 3 under 30 picks to take to the draft.
Not sure that is what I was asking especially as to why certain players were cut or player needs.

More interested in the bottom line money wise.

Was it confirmed that we are playing a lump sum of Grundy's salary? How much of Mitchell's salary are Hawks going to pay.

I think there is going to be bad feelings from this because of how Mackie and Henry's management team chose to play it.

Trading out the 23' 2nd rounder was a cynical tactic to retain the Cats future 1st and to squeeze us with pick 25.

The language from Henry's management team to create leverage: development, pay, environment, brother, homesick trying to paint us in a poor light was really ordinary.

It's well known Geelong treat the Falcons as their personal zone and work on getting the cream home at the 1st opportunity. Clearly this happened with Ollie.

It makes those tactics I just described pretty disgraceful and says a lot about your footy club. I'm satisfied we made the best of a bad hand but I don't think how it played out will be forgotten by us.
The karma bus always gets you. Our dealings with the Bulldogs in 2020 were equally distasteful and we have a situation two years later where they lose one for unders. Amazing isn’t it that they managed to lose Dunkley when we’re basically paying Treloar’s wage for them 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s in an interesting thought and one I’m open to, but not convinced by.

I don’t think there was much change at the top end. Geelong brought in 3 guys who will build their VFL depth. Melbourne added Grundy, but at the expense of Jackson (I don’t rate Schache or Hunter). Sydney like Geelong built on their VFL depth. We added best 22 fits, but outside of Mitchell the quality is questionable. Bulldogs losing Dunkley will hurt. Fremantle gave up a lot to bring in a young ruck which was already a position of strength. Carlton didn’t do much. Port I’m not as big on JHF as most yet and Rioli offsets the loss of Grey.

The only win now teams that definitely improved were Brisbane and Richmond with Gunston/ McStay netting off, but Dunkley a big tick plus Ashcroft every chance to do a Naicos. Richmond is definitely better with TT and Hopper with no significant losses.

At the other end I wouldn’t consider the moves of WC and North taking them backwards necessarily because I don’t see the output of the guys they lost as hard to cover. For instance Hunt is the equal of Rioli and Logue/ Tucker are currently better quality than JHF. Both GWS and Hawthorn though have gone backwards at a significant rate.

Gut feel is it’s the same as most years where the rot started for bad teams and the ones that will bounce got the ball rolling.
Not as convinced on Richmond as you are.
Taranto and Hopper are very similar types to Prestia, big but not quick. That could be a big weakness, might mean they need to play Boltin more in the middle.
And they have no draft position for the next 2 drafts as well as two 7 year @ $750000 contracts

Positive game day test, sentence halved under the no significant fault mitigant. Which means he did something dumb at some other time.
Ta. I love the idea of a 23 year-old who looks 35, just not sure he wants to play AFL.

iu

Not sure that is what I was asking especially as to why certain players were cut or player needs.

More interested in the bottom line money wise.

Was it confirmed that we are playing a lump sum of Grundy's salary? How much of Mitchell's salary are Hawks going to pay.
Player contract details are never officially revealed Maggie as I'm sure you know and we only have the usual sources of speculative reasoning.

We will never know the exact details nor should we - very unprofessional business practice to be airing private and confidential matters publicly.

Best 22

FB Howe Frampton Quaynor

HB Crisp Moore Pendles

C J Daicos Mitchell S/Bottom

Foll Cameron - Maynard - Degoey

HF Mcreery McStay Elliott

FF Hill Mihocek Johnson

IC N Daicos- Lipinsky - Ginnivan - Cox

Sub- Kreuger

Depth - Murphy,(Adams - inj),Knoble,Carmichael,WHE,

Opportunity to step things up in the engine room, Maynard & Degoey beside Mitchell

If GWS take him at one, he's staying there for some time. They've interviewed extensively for players that aren't going home anytime soon.

These young lads are just pumped to get drafted. They'll say all the right things to recruiters. It's when they get there and play in front of nobody for 3-6 years, that they realise it's much nicer to get back to a Football state and play in front of an actual crowd.

Both rucks named in WAFL and SANFL teams of the year are 24 years old:

Hamish Free (South Fremantle)
Harry Boyd (Norwood)

South Fremantle finished fourth, a game behind my beloved West Perth who were minor premiers and 2022 premiers.

Boyd won the Jack Oatey medal in the 2022 SANFL GF, is listed at 198cm and 108kg.

I'd prefer we had a crack at either of them before entertaining drafting Crossley.

Just a query, we have lost:

Brown C
Brown T
Grundy (still paying part of salary)
Henry
Chugg
McMahon
Roughhead (R)

Have added, McStay, Hill, Frampton and Mitchell.

How has this helped our salary cap as I doubt the new players would be earning less than those delisted?
Think of it less as freeing up money and more as re-allocating it. We’ve gone from paying $900k-1m per year for an underperforming ruckman, to having that money allocated to a forward/utility, plus an elite clearance mid, with the rest of the freed up money from depth players going towards much needed KPD depth (potentially best 22) and a young exciting developing forward/mid (also likely best 22).
We have to spend 95% of our cap regardless, so spending it on 3-4 quality additions is far better than spending it on 1 ruck and a bunch of players who are well below AFL standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back