CONFIRMED: #2 Richard Tambling to Adelaide for Band 3 compensation pick + 3rd rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we will use it this year were a young team and will need draft picks more now than in a few years when were hopefully higher up the ladder. Plus next year it will be the same and the year after that if all the teams use there compo picks it will be the same value.

Interesting one though, In 3 or 4 years, if we have improved and are challenging, it would be a nice pick to have in the bank to be able to trade for a ready made player.

I think we will use it this year were a young team and will need draft picks more now than in a few years when were hopefully higher up the ladder. Plus next year it will be the same and the year after that if all the teams use there compo picks it will be the same value.

Here's my thoughts on the compo picks for clubs like yours and mine.

If you use it now - say pick 26 - it is in a draft where 25% of the talent has been removed. As such diluting pick 26 - means it roughly about pick 35 on an 18 year old.

If you hold it a couple of years - it will be worth pick 19 in a complete draft - even if you don't want to pick another kid - you will always be able to use it in a trade for a 20-21 year old from 2010's draft anyway.

The difference is now you would have seen them play for a couple of years.

I think a few teams will use only 3-4 picks this year which will shorten the field around round 4 -5 which. Also Gold Coast will only be around 4 rounds i think, not sure how many positions they have left on their senior list ???:confused:
Can't be too many.

Yes! We've won this round Crows.

Tambling could come good, but two picks, surely one of them will be better than Tambling. I would have been happy with just the compo pick.

Seems like the media opinion of Tambling has really rubbed off on most footy supporters. After hearing of the way Richmond supporters treated him while there, I'm suprised he has lasted so long without asking for a trade. People have to remember that players under contract always take that little bit more to get, pick 50 ain't exactly earth shattering either. If it was our other 2nd rounder, then I wouldn't be too happy, but the likelihood of snaring a player of Tambling's ability really isn't high at pick 50. Fills a need for us as an outside midfielder, very happy.:thumbsu:

Happy with this. Pick 50 means little in the overall scheme of things, and closing the deal now means we can move on to other deals.

The round 3 pick by Adelaide won't be used, that's why they were happy to part with it.

Crows will be upgrading at least 3 more rookies (Henderson has already been upgraded), which means they may only use 2 national picks, 3 at most.

For those that know the quality of the Crows' rookies (particularly Jaensch, Riley, Thompson & Wright), this will not come as a surprise.

I've enjoyed the uneducated hysteria though. Most amusing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to go against the tend and go with Adelaide winning this trade if indeed there is a winner.

Probably a win - win both ways but I like this one most for Adelaide. Tambling I expect will be a nice McLeod replacement and could be a nice pickup as an instant back flanker.

Both carry risks. The draft, despite all the work recruiters put into it, is still a lottery and some players just don't quite make it despite their promising junior days. Ironically Tambling is one of these players, but it's possible that a new club and new home could do wonders for him and his confidence. We all know he has talent, but his career at the crows will tell us whether he really is an AFL player or not.

Personally I think Richmond did better on this one, just given the quality of this draft, though pick 50 isn't exactly anything special. I just don't think anything more than pick 29 was needed for Tambling, especially given his injury troubles, but we'll see. In Adelaide's defence, they have a few promising rookies whom the club will want to make room for, so perhaps they're only going to take 2 (max 3) players in this draft anyway.

At pick 50? Highly doubtful. Most AFL players don't even get to 100 games, which is why I don't get the uproar from neautrals about the trade.

Nah I think pick 50 is still useful. Still, even if you only gave us the compo pick I would be happy.

He will probably come good for you guys so MAYBE it will turn out to be a good trade for you, but it is DEFINATELY a good trade for us because Tambling was never going to come good at Richmond. He needed to move and Adelaide is the right club.

Are adelaide the new fremantle?

Looks like it

This is probably the best news I'll get this week.

Seems like the media opinion of Tambling has really rubbed off on most footy supporters.

No, most supporters are astute enough to make their own mind up

Tambling, whilst possessing talent, is one of those footballers without the facility to produce it within the field of battle. Most great, even good, footballers are instinctual.

Tambling does not have this trait, well at least he has not displayed it in 6 years of AFL

So the crows have traded for potential, which on its own is fine, but after 6 years the potential welcome mat wears very thin.

People have to remember that players under contract always take that little bit more to get, pick 50 ain't exactly earth shattering either. If it was our other 2nd rounder, then I wouldn't be too happy, but the likelihood of snaring a player of Tambling's ability really isn't high at pick 50. Fills a need for us as an outside midfielder, very happy. [/QUOTE]

Trouble is it isn't pick 50 odd traded for Tambling

It's Nathan Bock and pick 50 odd traded for Tambling

Viewed that way the crows have been raped on this trade.

It's Nathan Bock and pick 50 odd traded for Tambling

Viewed that way the crows have been raped on this trade.

We weren't raped on this trade, no.

We were raped on the Bock compensation though.

You can't look at this trade as the AFC's opinion of what Bock is worth in relation to Tambling. 'Twould be foolish.

I thought Tambling's biggest issue was an inability to deal with the expectation of being a Top 5 draft pick.

How does this alleviate any pressure when we see a first and third round pick traded for him.

Over the odds for mine, but perhaps better than nothing.

Craig should've just been a bit less staunch last year in his approach to trade week.

You guys that are saying pick 50 is worth nothing for adelaide to give dont realise that while its nothing to the crows, to us its extra leveridge to gain Houli and Grigg and effectively lose bugger all to get them!

Go Tiges, great trading!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back