News Congratulations to Hawthorn's newest captain - Ben Stratton - may your reign be long and glorious

Remove this Banner Ad

Fans having a dig at the captain now??Shame on on you. The heart and soul of the club and he’s getting trash talked. If he was no good he wouldn’t have been captain to start with ffs. I’m done here with posting. Clearly anything less than a flag every year is unacceptable to the people who’ve never done anything with their lives. May we all cower in the shadows of these giants. Pathetic.

If you are referring to what I posted above you clearly did not understand what I am saying.
No one deserves more to be Captain of our great Club than Ben. His leadership and commitment is without peer, it is just that as a footballer, not leader, he is physically struggling, in my humble opinion.
The process of being elected to the role by his peers is without question and I for one minute are not doubting that.

Impeccable person.

Last edited:
If you are referring to what I posted above you clearly did not understand what I am saying.
No one deserves more to be Captain of our great Club than Ben. His leadership is without peer, it is just that as a footballer, not leader, he is physically struggling, in my humble opinion.
No way mate, I’m behind your posts 90% of the time. I was agreeing with you. Not the only one struggling. Gunstons best game today. Breust has been wayward, but playing well apart from that. Poppy as well. Plenty of injuries. No one person is liable for our bad games. The whole team has to be accountable. Stratton has to deal with being captain with a sub optimal team week to week and he’s new to the role, our other leaders and stars need to step up. The second half off the season will be telling. I’m expecting a big response ala 2017.

I just quoted the last post so I could comment. After reading pages of s**t I wanted to unleash. Stratts needs to take some blame. That comes with captaincy, his form is down for sure, but he’s hardly the only one. Get a good run with injuries and a few kids shining and we’re in good shape moving forward. Bad time to take the reins as captain this year.

Last edited:

Haha! I haven’t watched the game yet but Stratts having an ok game doesn’t take away from that fact he has been crap to date this year.
I seen Bris’s comment on structure against the dogs & Stratts leadership there but I call nonsense there as we lost 2 defenders & Stratts was not preforming in that game either.
We still had Hardwick, Sicily, Gunston went back doing their job but rotations caught up & we were over ran in the midfield & bombarded in defence.

Stratts has been ordinary & if he wasn’t captain he would have been in the same position as Rough IMO.

If he has had a good game against Port I’ll be interested to see a turnaround & sustained performances moving forward otherwise it will end up being a poor decision by the club when there were other “caretaker” candidates.

Haha! I haven’t watched the game yet but Stratts having an ok game doesn’t take away from that fact he has been crap to date this year.
I seen Bris’s comment on structure against the dogs & Stratts leadership there but I call nonsense there as we lost 2 defenders & Stratts was not preforming in that game either.
We still had Hardwick, Sicily, Gunston went back doing their job but rotations caught up & we were over ran in the midfield & bombarded in defence.

Stratts has been ordinary & if he wasn’t captain he would have been in the same position as Rough IMO.

If he has had a good game against Port I’ll be interested to see a turnaround & sustained performances moving forward otherwise it will end up being a poor decision by the club when there were other “caretaker” candidates.

A first year player beat him almost all day.
If that’s supposed to be a pass mark for a player to have a good game then I’ve lost touch with how to play football.

I fear his decline may be as rapid as Josh Gibson’s
All the signs are similar.
Going to ground in contests
Lack of leg speed
Loosing one on one contests to average players

The reality is that experience and commitment will only take you so far.
Once those legs go then the end is near

I hope I’m completely wrong but the signs are there in just the same way as they are with Roughy

A first year player beat him almost all day.
If that’s supposed to be a pass mark for a player to have a good game then I’ve lost touch with how to play football.
12 possessions and a goal from his opponent

View attachment 681122

92% ! FP.
Stratts was no where near him sorry to say mate.
A couple of those possessions were directly related to a goal or two as well.

I just don’t see how this is sustainable....

You should send the club an email and let them know

View attachment 681122

92% ! FP.

He wasnt always on him but ok if thats a good game in ure eyes i can not argue with it

For me, if we really want to see where Stratton is at, next week can act as the ultumate litmus test.
Put him on Charlie Cameron and tell him to play a total lockdown game on him as he has done before on Eddie Betts (back when Eddie was at his peak).
That would be a real captains role, playing on the oppositions most dangerous forward. The result of such a move would go a long way to determining exactly how good (or how bad) his form currently is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stratts isn't an on field leader.

Club is rapt by his leadership skills off-field.

Stratts will be captain next year, then a handover to JOM, who is seen by the club as the next captain.

Do you think if Mitchell didn’t get injured last year that he would’ve been made captain?

Do you think if Mitchell didn’t get injured last year that he would’ve been made captain?
Why load up Mitchell with the captaincy. If he wants it then OK.. but I don’t see it for him (he is a quiet talent). Captaincy is a burden for many. Some are energised by it, others are burdened by it.
McEvoy seems the best choice: neither energised or burdened... he seems Self-Controlled.

View attachment 681122

92% ! FP.

Rozee is a huge talent, like Stevenson before him, both require a fast backman on them.
I have never thought Strats was our best backman on small forwards. Hardwick has always been better.
But Strats sets up our defence. And the value of that will never be seen on a stat sheet.

Jiath seems the solution to most of the questions.

CJ on Rozee... that I would like to see. My guess would be that Rozee would get 2 goals (on rebound) but that CJ would stop 2 other goals and set up 2 of his own. Advantage CJ.

Last edited:
As Tops mentioned physically he cant cut it any more and his form has dipped.

Leaders are under more scrutiny and Stratts form has opened the floodgates of negativity.

On current form he is lucky to be in the side IMO.

Unless he finds a yard the decline will continue.

Sad decline for a bloke who gives his all.

Hope for turnaround but not waiting for one as game is only getting quicker and more taxing unfortunately for Stratton.

Tim O’Brian has been excellent as the 3rd tall (Strat’s position). Finally the Hawks have put TOB in his best position.
IF they figure out that Roughy at CHB works then Roughy gets 2 more years as an AFL player.
Strats is struggling, and not for the first time. He is our captain based on player choice because he tries his heart out, always does the 1 percenters, and sets up the structure of the backline.

For mine Strats is the player Carlton needs. He could get a big payday and we get a better place in the draft.

View attachment 681122

92% ! FP.

That is literally the equal worst game of Rozee's career to date. But whatever rhetoric you want to sell...

Tim O’Brian has been excellent as the 3rd tall (Strat’s position). Finally the Hawks have put TOB in his best position.
IF they figure out that Roughy at CHB works then Roughy gets 2 more years as an AFL player.
Strats is struggling, and not for the first time. He is our captain based on player choice because he tries his heart out, always does the 1 percenters, and sets up the structure of the backline.

For mine Strats is the player Carlton needs. He could get a big payday and we get a better place in the draft.

Roughy to CHB o_O

Back to the Future was on last night - Doc has ****ed up again

That is literally the equal worst game of Rozee's career to date. But whatever rhetoric you want to sell...

So as the second person to comment on this... my post was about the lack of pressure applied to Rozee not how well he played & the graphic was to show that at 92% he had all the time in the world.
So whatever you think you are reading it is obviously a miss communication in my part that it has come across that way.
Again, the post was to show the lack of pressure that was not applied & that a couple of Stratts lack of accountability directly cost goals.

Selling “rhetoric” as you put it is me calling a spade a spade & if Stratts wasn’t the captain there would be a lot more people calling for him to be dropped.

The rhetoric is the BS being plastered about that he is doing something amazing in his role that nobody else can do so whatever anyone chooses to believe is up to them.

Stratts has been s*%t.

Strats will never be the player or demonstrable leader that Hodge is.

However I'm sure he is a fine leader in his own right as a backline general and his career as a backman has been fantastic.

All he needs to do to get the monkey off the back IMO is to start winning more of those 1 v 1 contests. This has always been a great strength of his but this year he's lost quite a few of them at costly points in time. His tenacity has always made him bloody hard to beat under those circumstances but he's been turned inside out a bit too easily at times. Get that back in to his game and he'll be fine.

Strats will never be the player or demonstrable leader that Hodge is.

However I'm sure he is a fine leader in his own right as a backline general and his career as a backman has been fantastic.

All he needs to do to get the monkey off the back IMO is to start winning more of those 1 v 1 contests. This has always been a great strength of his but this year he's lost quite a few of them at costly points in time. His tenacity has always made him bloody hard to beat under those circumstances but he's been turned inside out a bit too easily at times. Get that back in to his game and he'll be fine.
As i posted earlier i wish that Clarko gives him the job on Charlie Cameron this weekend. These are the assignments that he excelled at in the past so how well he goes would be a good measurement of how his form is travelling.
He wouldnt have to worry about getting a kick, just mullify Cameron and he has done his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back