List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Can anyone give me any info on Bailey Banfield chopped it up at colts level last week 27 touches. Did he miss out on being drafted last year or what's the story?
Bailey playing as an overager {19yo} in the Colts. Generally these guys do well at the start of the year then drop away as the younger guys catch up physically. Charlie on the other hand played in the same team with 21 touches. Not sure of Charlies birth date but hopefully we can still draft both as Father/Son this year if they make the grade.

Penny seems to be dropping that there are far better ways to spend our cap than the $1.2m+ a year it would take to get English. Add 150k/year + 1 year to what Buss and Garcia are offered by the dogs. JJ is an Unrestricted FA this year too, might be worth tracking his season as a free of draft capital HBF who can gain metres and hit targets.

Penny seems to be dropping that there are far better ways to spend our cap than the $1.2m+ a year it would take to get English. Add 150k/year + 1 year to what Buss and Garcia are offered by the dogs. JJ is an Unrestricted FA this year too, might be worth tracking his season as a free of draft capital HBF who can gain metres and hit targets.
The difference being we have a plethora of options going forward for HBF and don't really need another, but we do not have a single AFL standard ruckman on our list who we can have even marginal confidence in their body standing up to the rigours of AFL, nor do we have any young ruckman on our list who we can have any confidence of them being AFL ready in 2 - 3 years time.

English is not Luke Jackson. And a million a year plus for him might be over paying him. But we need to find a ruckman who can compete in that position for us. Without coughing up high draft picks for them (which means FA is the only real option). And who might have personal reasons to entertain the idea of moving across the country to WA and playing for a wooden spoon side (i.e. they are from here originally and their family are here).

The only person who comes anywhere near ticking the boxes is English. If the downside is he is not as good as we wish he was and we would have to overpay him to come then, in order to fix our looming problem of not having a genuine ruckman for the next 5 years, i could live with that. We have to spend the money on somebody and lord knows there are very few players on the list at the moment who deserve a pay rise and having any of that money spent on them.

I think the thing with English is that he will make us a better side, so I have no issues us going after him. He’s an excellent 2 way runner and link up player and I think something that often is overlooked is how much he does off the ball to support his defenders, a need we will start to have in a year or 2 with Gov on the way out.

What I do hope is that we don’t go overboard in our pursuit. In all likelihood he is a stop gap and unlikely to be our next premiership winning ruck. So aggressively hunt by all means to get a player that can make us better, but don’t overpay just because we might potentially have it to spend.

The dogs looked flat tonight, they really didn’t handle the physicality and that’s always going to English’s main weakness. Seemed a keen plan of the bombers to work him over, too. But his midfielders were just as flat, too. So no connection between ruck and mids either. I have no idea what the bulldogs stand for under bevo at present. So I’d be inclined to overlook tonight as a deciding factor as to whether we should because he is a genuinely better player usually.

The difference being we have a plethora of options going forward for HBF and don't really need another, but we do not have a single AFL standard ruckman on our list who we can have even marginal confidence in their body standing up to the rigours of AFL, nor do we have any young ruckman on our list who we can have any confidence of them being AFL ready in 2 - 3 years time.

English is not Luke Jackson. And a million a year plus for him might be over paying him. But we need to find a ruckman who can compete in that position for us. Without coughing up high draft picks for them (which means FA is the only real option). And who might have personal reasons to entertain the idea of moving across the country to WA and playing for a wooden spoon side (i.e. they are from here originally and their family are here).

The only person who comes anywhere near ticking the boxes is English. If the downside is he is not as good as we wish he was and we would have to overpay him to come then, in order to fix our looming problem of not having a genuine ruckman for the next 5 years, i could live with that. We have to spend the money on somebody and lord knows there are very few players on the list at the moment who deserve a pay rise and having any of that money spent on them.
There is literally no one in our entire team I am confident in exiting D50 with from a HBF. Hunt, Cole, Rotham, Duggo, Witho, JJ all turnover merchants. Hough is ok but that’s not his role and Duggo I trust to hit 25-30m passes but not when he’s trying to kick like he’s Lewis Jetta. The game has evolved since they were drafted and having that quarterback type distributor is crucial. Whitfield and Coleman are so important for their respective teams. We need a player like that because we have been absolutely slaughtered turning the ball over exiting from D50 with the opposition getting possession already close to goal without time to setup and defend. In fact we need playerS like that. We should attack the draft/trade hard to sure up the defence this year. KPD and HBF are far more important for us to recruit than a ruck at this stage, Flynn hasn’t even had a chance to show what he can do. Dogs CEO went on radio yesterday and basically said JUH and English will get done so it’s probably not even something we need to make a decision on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garcia is hugely injury prone. Do not want, not a talent issue.
Yes his injuries have killed the start of his career but was a highly rated junior and if he puts together an injury free year in the VFL with a sprinkling of AFL games you don’t think it’s worth seeing if we can essentially get him for free by adding him in with Buss for our 2R? If we split pick 1 (as it stands) and F2/3 into GCS’s (or Freo’s) 3x1st rounders then I’d offer our 2R and 4R for Buss and Garcia. Could also PSD him, but we know the club won’t do that.

3x1Rs between pick 8 and 16 (KPD, HBF, Wing)
Buss and Garcia
JJ as free agent

Obviously if Garcia is missing every 3-4 games with injuries then it’s probably best we don’t overload our already busy medical department…

He is brilliant in a dominant team - in trouble again't a bottom 8 team of tryers with a 40 +/- year old ruckman.
Everyone is brilliant in a good team.

Basically he is just a spud. If you can't perform while the team is down it shows exactly his worth. Not much at all.

I think the thing with English is that he will make us a better side, so I have no issues us going after him. He’s an excellent 2 way runner and link up player and I think something that often is overlooked is how much he does off the ball to support his defenders, a need we will start to have in a year or 2 with Gov on the way out.

What I do hope is that we don’t go overboard in our pursuit. In all likelihood he is a stop gap and unlikely to be our next premiership winning ruck. So aggressively hunt by all means to get a player that can make us better, but don’t overpay just because we might potentially have it to spend.

The dogs looked flat tonight, they really didn’t handle the physicality and that’s always going to English’s main weakness. Seemed a keen plan of the bombers to work him over, too. But his midfielders were just as flat, too. So no connection between ruck and mids either. I have no idea what the bulldogs stand for under bevo at present. So I’d be inclined to overlook tonight as a deciding factor as to whether we should because he is a genuinely better player usually.

Starting to think the Dogs are a tad arrogant. They are stacked with top shelf tall forwards, they have gun mids and a solid back half. They almost play like they expect to win because of the star talls they have. But get outworked.

Something doesnt smell right there.

Starting to think the Dogs are a tad arrogant. They are stacked with top shelf tall forwards, they have gun mids and a sokid back half. They almost play like they expect to win because of the star talls they have. But get outworked.

Something doesnt smell right there.
s**t coach, that's what

Commendable but also stupid.

Fast forward to Sept. Lions pick up a couple of injuries. Dev comes in Lions go one better and he's got a premiership medal.

Will he look stupid then? Because thats the path he has taken commiting to his current teammates.

Fast forward to Sept. Lions pick up a couple of injuries. Dev comes in Lions go one better and he's got a premiership medal.

Will he look stupid then? Because thats the path he has taken commiting to him current teammates.
Lot of discussion on our board that Tunstill is going past Dev.

Both play VFL tomorrow. Will probably see a West Australian midfield for us, with Reece Torrent also playing inside mid. He’s grown a bit a looks a solid unit already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back