List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Richmond could be the team North split with. Richmond are the most likely to trade up with any team looking to get out of the first round for points (Brissy and Carlton F/S) they are also likely to get a late first for Baker and if Dan Rioli goes to the Suns, they’ll get another.
Dan Rioli signed on until 2027 just recently?

Last edited:
Why could we not just have them retire, but still pay them out, effectively just freeing up a list spot for some rookie. We would be copping the financial hit, but if the intention is to not play them anyway there would be no loss
I don't see the point in paying 750k to darling to not play .

What would it free up a spot for a 4th round pick ?

Good insurance and on field leadership for our young forwards .

He may not be setting the world on fire but he is still a very knowledgeable footballer and can be a valuable asset to the club .

Look at norf cutting all their old guys then not having anyone to teach the kids

I will be watching Sid Draper closely when he comes back for the carnival. His point of difference is his kicking. What are the Crows likely to do? I can see them finishing in the 9 to 13 range on the ladder meaning they will be holding a pick around 7 to 10. Would they come hard if we are to have pick 3/4. It is looking like Smillie and O'Sullivan then daylight and while there will be good options at that level, I can see a pretty even cluster. Would we take pick 7/10 and their future first (I expect Crows scrape into finals next year) for 3/4 and our future second? I'd probably want a bit more like their F3. Crows would be patting themselves getting 2 Adelaide home grown first rounders.

A long way to go but 7-9 could get us Moraes, Trainor, Travaglia or Hotton or a KPD (just to piss off a certain poster). Plus we get two first rounders in 2025. Alternatively, Gold Coast could be interested in trading one of their R1 this years (I expect both will be around 7 to 10) for the Crows R1 in 2025. We can chuck in one of their much loved R4 picks if need be.
Would love to get Moraes, but I reckon he will be off the table by 7, also heck Adelaide, they took Curtin when they knew we wanted him, we should take Draper for pay back.

He may not be setting the world on fire but he is still a very knowledgeable footballer and can be a valuable asset to the club .

Look at norf cutting all their old guys then not having anyone to teach the kids
Free up a list spot, pay out his contract early so we can either chase an extra player, or have more flexibility with delistings/splitting picks

Do we even need him as a leader anymore? We have Allen, Waterman, Flyin, plus BW as guys aged 24+ in our forward line who have all been around guys like JK and Darling their entire careers. We have leaders in other lines, cutting Darling isnt going to affect in that regard, we wouldnt be even remotely close to where North are lol.
Do you expect him to be just in the WAFL each week? or to be playing in the main team taking a spot off Maric or Waterman?
Why cant our insurance be J.Williams, who will be going into his 4th year next year? Better teams get away with much less in terms of tall forwards.

Could you imagine the uproar if we had told JK that he was no longer needed and cut him without letting him go out on his own terms.
This is what people are suggesting we do with our second highest goal kicker in club history.

I have no doubt the club will let JD know where things sit and that he might end up playing a stack of WAFL if he chooses to continue past his current contract but i'd be comfortable letting him call time when he's ready like JK and Hurn before him. He's not going to be the difference between us making or missing finals in the next 2-3 years anyway but the culture you build when you give club legends the grace to make that call is huge.

Think players like Reid don't notice you pushing players out the door when they are "no longer useful"?

Last edited:
Free up a list spot, pay out his contract early so we can either chase an extra player, or have more flexibility with delistings/splitting picks

Do we even need him as a leader anymore? We have Allen, Waterman, Flyin, plus BW as guys aged 24+ in our forward line who have all been around guys like JK and Darling their entire careers. We have leaders in other lines, cutting Darling isnt going to affect in that regard, we wouldnt be even remotely close to where North are lol.
Do you expect him to be just in the WAFL each week? or to be playing in the main team taking a spot off Maric or Waterman?
Why cant our insurance be J.Williams, who will be going into his 4th year next year? Better teams get away with much less in terms of tall forwards.
Will never happen, nor should it.

Play WAFL if he's not performing? Sure. Ending Darling's contract 1 year early is absolutely not the same as ending Zac Langdon's.

There's a reason we hold onto players...

And at least at the moment, he gets the 2nd best tall which means Maric doesn't have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Harley factor can’t be overlooked.
Any up and comer would know WC are on the up and Harley is front and centre. He will single handedly make us a destination club.
Let’s not try to fill up on has Beens and never were’s.
Baker is tough and still young enough to give us some good years.
People writing off large portions of our list don’t take into account how much improvement comes about just by being in a more competitive / combative situation . Case in point; Witherden. Improved out of sight this year. Never going to be a world beater but he gives his all and doesn’t take a backward step.
Freo are years ahead of us in the build but I reckon if you took a straw poll of any 50 AFL players and asked them who they would rather be traded to, I’d say we’d be 75-25 up. My opinion!!
And I also think we will win a premiership before them.

Will never happen, nor should it.

Play WAFL if he's not performing? Sure. Ending Darling's contract 1 year early is absolutely not the same as ending Zac Langdon's.

There's a reason we hold onto players...
We have built a strong reputation for retaining interstate players

In what stupid world do posters really believe we will early retire Gaff and Darling
People are on about finding a way to put someone on the LTI list if theyre not tracking to be back by round 18 or somewhere near there(Bazzo/Hewett), just for pick 3/4 in the MSD of all things, this effectively isnt much different if there is no intention of extending their contracts further anyway, at least in terms of list management.

If it came down to a decision of whether to keep Darling on the list for another year, or take advantage of a hypothetical trade to get an extra 1st/2nd round pick thats likely to get us a player we really want, its definitely worth thinking about.
Obviously wouldnt come even close to happening unless we were VERY active in FA/trade period acquiring players, its an extreme example for sure

I think the Harley factor can’t be overlooked.
Any up and comer would know WC are on the up and Harley is front and centre. He will single handedly make us a destination club.
Let’s not try to fill up on has Beens and never were’s.
Baker is tough and still young enough to give us some good years.
People writing off large portions of our list don’t take into account how much improvement comes about just by being in a more competitive / combative situation . Case in point; Witherden. Improved out of sight this year. Never going to be a world beater but he gives his all and doesn’t take a backward step.
Freo are years ahead of us in the build but I reckon if you took a straw poll of any 50 AFL players and asked them who they would rather be traded to, I’d say we’d be 75-25 up. My opinion!!
And I also think we will win a premiership before them.
The Harley factor will definitely make us a destination club, particularly for Victorian draftees if you listen to how Cal and Riley spoke about the influence he had on the other draftees at the combine despite not testing. What 18 year old kid wouldn’t want to play with Harley Reid?

Witherden… I just don’t see what you’re seeing. Can’t defend 1 on 1 and the most over rated kick at the club. For me he’s second only to Gaff for delisting at the end of the year. Even Rotham is miles ahead of him and he’s unlikely to get another contract too.

The Harley factor will definitely make us a destination club, particularly for Victorian draftees if you listen to how Cal and Riley spoke about the influence he had on the other draftees at the combine despite not testing. What 18 year old kid wouldn’t want to play with Harley Reid?

Witherden… I just don’t see what you’re seeing. Can’t defend 1 on 1 and the most over rated kick at the club. For me he’s second only to Gaff for delisting at the end of the year. Even Rotham is miles ahead of him and he’s unlikely to get another contract too.
Trew, Gaff, Jones, Baker and Dewar are the likeliest to get delisted, IMO, with Dewar redrafted if he continues to develop.

We won't be cutting very deep this year because:

1. We don't have the picks and
2. Need players to delist next year also.

Culley's an interesting one but as he travelled with the team on the weekend and was an emergency, it seems the club rate him highly. Hope he gets a good run at it in the next few weeks.

Trew, Gaff, Jones, Baker and Dewar are the likeliest to get delisted, IMO, with Dewar redrafted if he continues to develop.

We won't be cutting very deep this year because:

1. We don't have the picks and
2. Need players to delist next year also.

Culley's an interesting one but as he travelled with the team on the weekend and was an emergency, it seems the club rate him highly. Hope he gets a good run at it in the next few weeks.
They are all on my list too. A lot of it will come down to draft stratergy. If we don’t split 1R then we can’t get rid of 8 players which is what I’d ideally want to do. Also the players we target will come into it in terms of position. Even if we delisted 8 players this year we’d still have at least 3 to move on next year IMO.

Culley will get another year, coming off an ACL and Trew and Baker will lose their rookie spots before he does. Agree with you would love to see him have a decent run at it but the Beagles are such an atrocious development pathway for AFL.

Witho in particular, and Rotham seem pretty well rated by the club, so would be surprised to see both delisted.
Guess it all depends on if we have other defensive options with Jones likely to be delisted.
Bazzo and Burgiel the only developing defenders.
Jordyn Baker too but he might be delisted as well.
If we cut another 4 this year, we would be pretty light on unless we bring in more.

Last edited:
They are all on my list too. A lot of it will come down to draft stratergy. If we don’t split 1R then we can’t get rid of 8 players which is what I’d ideally want to do. Also the players we target will come into it in terms of position. Even if we delisted 8 players this year we’d still have at least 3 to move on next year IMO.

Culley will get another year, coming off an ACL and Trew and Baker will lose their rookie spots before he does. Agree with you would love to see him have a decent run at it but the Beagles are such an atrocious development pathway for AFL.

Culley needs to be promoted, he can’t stay on the rookie list next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back