List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Please god, no Bailey Smith. The West has already gone insane over Harley, I can't even imagine what they'd do with Bazlenka here as well.
Relax - the likelihood of this happening is about the same as Cotton On moving their headquarters to Perth.

For those who like to follow the U18, it will be difficult to get much interest with this year's WA draft crop. Fear not, I am liking what I see about the bottom agers who will be draft eligible in 2025. Please do not be smart arses and post back that "Yeah - we always hear next year is better". My comments are about the WA prospects. I like to give a balance as the Vic bias can often be linked to a weaker than Vic Metro line up by some pundits as being a weak draft.

For those interested, Davo-27 and Smythe are 2 posters I regularly find to be the better judges of U18 football around the country and neither have any WA talent in the top 30 this year. Very rarely do we not have at least 2 or 3 top 20 chances.

Another poster that is doing well is Futbolista and I have posted his latest WA talent list. Keep an eye on these prospects with colts (note the PSA is is full swing so some clubs will be hit heavily with players required to play for their school as a priority).

Of particular note in Charlie Banfield - son of Drew. Plays for Scotch and Claremont and is starting to look draftable. Taller than Bailey and very accurate by foot - Drew has another one son after Charlie from memory but I don't know his age.

Once we start to see more of these guys in Colts and in the carnival, we will get a better understanding if we want to trade or downgrade our first this year for another R1 in 2025.
I really hope Toby Whan gets onto an AFL list, surely his nickname has to be Kenobi!

I think we can now state that Pyke will not be agreeing to us make an offer to Tarrant Thomas. Nor should we.

Same thing with Elijah Taylor.

It will be interesting with Clarke now as list manager as Richmond has a track record of picking players with "dodgy history". The likes of Stack and Pickett were very cheap pick ups and for what they paid, they have been good value.

Witherden… I just don’t see what you’re seeing. Can’t defend 1 on 1 and the most over rated kick at the club. For me he’s second only to Gaff for delisting at the end of the year. Even Rotham is miles ahead of him and he’s unlikely to get another contract too.

Neither an attacking defender given his decision making speed is slow, nor physical enough to be a lockdown type.

At least with Cole he puts 110% into every contest and will break the occasional line with a touch of dash.

We can delist and re rookie if needed unless I’m missing something?

That’s pretty harsh to delist and re-rookie.

Not to mention it makes Culley a delisted free agent who will become an unrestricted free agent whenever he is out of contract.

And also risks a club coming in and swooping the way North did with Greenwood.

O'Farrell confirmed his bona fides as a top tall defensive prospect in this game. Where other Academy defenders struggled with the amount of ball coming in and the more mature Coburg bodies, O'Farrell had the closing speed and aerial ability to compete at a high level. He also used the ball well by foot coming out of defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either would be great

Both would be better. They’d both easily get well paid & would be best 22.

The following is who I currently have on my the delist/trade list & who I would be targeting to replace them. We are currently getting nothing at AFL level from the players in the gun.

Gaff - Cummings
Jones - Perryman
Sheed - Baker
Trew - 1st Round Pick
Culley - Busslinger
J.Baker - 2nd Round Pick

L. Edwards/Witherden/Rotham would move to the rookie list to open up the main list spots we would need.

It’s not looking like the deepest draft so why not focus on some FA/Trades & just a couple of kids. The above changes instantly make the best 22 a lot stronger & hopefully with the improvement of the kids helps us climb the ladder.

The following is who I currently have on my the delist/trade list & who I would be targeting to replace them. We are currently getting nothing at AFL level from the players in the gun.

Gaff - Cummings
Jones - Perryman
Sheed - Baker
Trew - 1st Round Pick
Culley - Busslinger
J.Baker - 2nd Round Pick

L. Edwards/Witherden/Rotham would move to the rookie list to open up the main list spots we would need.

It’s not looking like the deepest draft so why not focus on some FA/Trades & just a couple of kids. The above changes instantly make the best 22 a lot stronger & hopefully with the improvement of the kids helps us climb the ladder.
I dunno if Culley is worth dumping just yet, still potential there. Id rather dump Witho tbh, he wouldnt be needed with Cumming/Perryman/Baker on the list who can do the same/similar role but better.

Gaff - Cummings
Jones - Perryman
Sheed - Baker
Trew - 1st Round Pick
Culley - Busslinger
J.Baker - 2nd Round Pick

I suggest that it is way too soon to be calling out it not being the deepest draft. We have 6 months to go before the draft and a full slate of U18 carnival games. There are a load of newish names coming into consideration and we are seeing which players are now considered KPP and have the shown enough given their improved coordination.

My early view is that it has a bit of everything you may be after bar elite rucks. What was looking like a top 10 of midfielders is starting to be disrupted with KPD and KPF's.

I have had input from a Melbourne connection that their club's view is that the pointy end is short but that the 10 to 30 looks better than last year and the 30 to 50 looks better than last year. They expect clubs to leave less spots for train on this year. Only one club's assessment but early days.

Victoria finally realising the AFL has a big problem on their hands…too busy to notice the issues in SA & WA because they’re so busy pumping $$$ into the northern academies

WA academies. It makes sense.

No point in Perth clubs investing directly into any talent as we have no rights to then.

I dunno if Culley is worth dumping just yet, still potential there. Id rather dump Witho tbh, he wouldnt be needed with Cumming/Perryman/Baker on the list who can do the same/similar role but better.

I like Culley & want him to make it but after thinking about it I just can’t see him forcing his way into the best 22.

Last year I would say if he can’t play midfield he could go forward (Which he did) but now with Waterman stepping up & Maric looking good I can’t even see a spot for him there.

You are correct about Witho which is something I hadn’t though about.

WA academies. It makes sense.

No point in Perth clubs investing directly into any talent as we have no rights to then.
The 2 Perth clubs invest big time via their shareholder dividend - around $8 to $10 million each year to the WAFC plus picking up a share of the profits from Optus via Venues West.

I like Culley & want him to make it but after thinking about it I just can’t see him forcing his way into the best 22.

Last year I would say if he can’t play midfield he could go forward (Which he did) but now with Waterman stepping up & Maric looking good I can’t even see a spot for him there.

You are correct about Witho which is something I hadn’t though about.
Even if he doesnt make it, there is value in giving him another year to see if he can do something being injury free for a prolonged stretch imo. Worst case is he plays WAFL and is a big bodied mid there.
I dont see him making it to be a regular player for us either, but the likes of Witho are known quantities, we already know they arent going to make it long term. May as well take a punt

It’s going to be interesting to see just how the club approaches this year’s trade and draft period, particularly in light of comments made by Pyke that we intend to be more aggressive in improving the list

Looking at a hypothetical best 22 with all players available:

Backs: McGovern, Barrass, Bazzo*, Duggan, Hough, Cole, Hunt
Rucks: Flynn, B Williams
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, Sheed**
Fwds: Allen, Darling***, Waterman, Cripps, Petruccelle, Ryan, Long

*If fit, I think the club would be getting games into Bazzo. Could have one of Jamieson, H Edwards, Rotham or Witherden in this spot instead
**Based on sentiments often expressed here, Sheed wouldn’t be best 22 but I feel, for now, the club sees different. Chesser or L Edwards the closest to displacing him
***When/if Flynn and Allen return, Darling will be under pressure to retain his spot as Williams moves to forward/ruck. Maric or Brockman depending on team balance the most likely replacements

The thing about that best 22 is all bar Yeo and Duggan are contracted for 2025 or beyond. Both those players are expected to sign new deals despite speculation other clubs are chasing Yeo

Brockman, Maric, Chesser and Jamieson who are possible best 22 are also contracted past this year. The only others not named with a contract for 2025 are first year draftees (A Reid, Hall and Johnston)

It leaves 15 currently uncontracted players who aren’t best 22 because they’re either fringe/depth or still in their initial development phase.

The question for list management will be how many list spots to open up and then who to retain as experienced depth and who of the developing players do we give up on

At this point, I think Gaff and Trew are near certain to be retired/delisted. But for the rest it’s less obvious and it’s possible to make a solid case to retain or delist each of them

Experienced Depth
•Rotham
•Witherden
•Jones
•H Edwards
•L Edwards

Development Players
•Culley
•J Williams
•Barnett (close to signing a new deal per his manager)
•Dewar
•Baker
•Burgiel
•Livingstone
•Rawlinson

In recent years we’ve gone relatively hard in the draft to replenish the playing list -
•2021 - 5 draft picks (including Clark who’s since been delisted)
•2022 - 5 draft picks plus one MSD pick (Culley) and 2 Cat B picks (Dewar and Baker)
•2023 - 4 draft picks plus one rookie draft pick (Rawlinson), one MSD pick (Maric) and one Cat B pick (Livingstone)

It should be noted that in each of those drafts we had 3 or 4 selections inside the top 40. As it stands this year, without a R3 pick, we have just two

There’s also no current opening for us to use a MSD pick which may or may not change

Think we’d want to make at least 4 draft selections even if one of those is in the rookie draft. So besides Gaff and Trew at least 2 others need to be moved on as a minimum

Others will then need to make way for who, if anyone, we bring in via trade or free agency. And with only two decent picks (our R1 and R2) we’re going to have to be circumspect with what we trade out - quite likely we look at using future picks for any trade and/or split our R1 pick

Suspect most of those players without a contract for 2025 will be waiting until late in the year before getting a new offer

With all the money Sydney is throwing about and all the players they have taking his role, id be in the ears of Angus Sheldrick myself. If Freo get Baker then Sheldrick to us is a cheaper alternative. The type of player we actually can get for a F2nd round pick type deal and one that would suit our needs just as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back