Last edited:
Not everyone is unhappy with the changes

S&C change :whitecheck:
Langdon delisted even though in contract :whitecheck:
Turnover of 11 (2 retired, 1 traded, 8 delisted) :whitecheck:
A strong draft hand for 2022 :whitecheck:
A strong draft hand for 2023 :whitecheck:
A possible NGA prospect that actually opened their email :whitecheck:

That said, many feel that the clear out of the club needs to go deeper and faster
Warren Kofoed still there (and CEO stating he has done an outstanding job):exclamation:
List Manager role still vacant (The Pieman is really just a caretaker):exclamation:
WAFL standard Head of Football Operations:exclamation:
Nisbett still CEO with no succession plan clear:exclamation:
No apparent strengthening of the coaching box:exclamation:
An AFLW coach in Prior that seems a great guy but has little football coaching IQ:exclamation:

I hope I have not trodden on your toes!!!

Kofoed - has been at the club since 2008 (I think) and we’ve had periods where our fitness has been elite. Now, not so much admittedly. But he has shown he’s capable so perhaps they’ve identified the issues, including poor discipline from the players and Simpson not addressing it fully (Nisbett alluded to this), so maybe with the changes foreshadowed, they think he’s still the best person for the role. Learning from mistakes can be the best teacher sometimes

O’Brien is moving on as far as we’re aware and maybe the best time to find a replacement is post draft - bring in a list manager from outside, promote the head recruiter from within perhaps

Coaching box was strengthened 12 months ago, but any game plan changes essentially got thrown out the window when injuries and covid came. Happy to wait and see what transpires with a proper off season to plan and implement. Also, maybe we’re addressing other area of the football department (like S&C) with the additional $500k soft cap to spend

Head of football- it was raised a little while ago, admittedly by Hagdorn, that we’d approached Don Pyke for a football management type role but we’re knocked back. I don’t know if this was true but perhaps we’ve been looking for someone to improve that area without success as yet. Maybe, we haven’t but often it isn’t until an appointment is made before we do know something was being done. Money for this role may also explain why we’ve not added to the coaching department but that’s me guessing

Nisbett- I’m with you in hoping that there is some sort of succession plan, even if that isn’t public. I always though it was going to be Vozzo until he took a break last year and moved sideways. Maybe he still is the man but we simply don’t hear from him anymore. It’s time for Nisbett to let go as from an outside pov too much runs through him and nothing gets done without his imprimatur

Prior - a good replacement just came on the market I believe but AFLW isn’t my strong suit

One thing I genuinely believe is that, whilst there hasn’t been wholesale changes to personnel, our poor performance over 3 years culminating in last years exclamation mark of ineptitude won’t have been accepted quietly and there’ll be a new attitude in 2023

That said, many feel that the clear out of the club needs to go deeper and faster
Warren Kofoed still there (and CEO stating he has done an outstanding job):exclamation:
List Manager role still vacant (The Pieman is really just a caretaker):exclamation:
An AFLW coach in Prior that seems a great guy but has little football coaching IQ:exclamation:

Some other posters have answered the questions raised about the coaching box changes (last season) & the search for a new footy boss. The club realises these things - WC are proud club & surely the post season indicates they're not sitting on their hands.

As to the CEO - I'd suggest that will come from outside & maybe not even from within football circles.

Changes are important- but too many changes at once can be counter-productive

Continuing the Star Wars theme - "have patience young padwan"

Last edited:

Good post, don't understand the negativity generally speaking. Though I wouldn't put the delisting of contracted players as a tick. It both indicates bad list management and potentially could impact on culture creating fractures particularly amongst fringe players. Would be hard to work in a place where your nervous about your job security and your contract is somewhat meaningless.
However, like all the other changes and even the exclaimation marks aren't too bad for the most part.

Geez ATG you are grumpy today;)

Correct thought process.

It's weird how posters demand change yet when such change occurs they want to moan (see notes below) about the process. Seriously.

Multiple delistings/retirements - tick Doing it Right
Changes to the S & C dept - tick Doing it Right

Some posters are like my wife - bloody hard to please Doing it Wrong? - note moaning can be a good thing!

Geez ATG you are grumpy today;)
Grumpy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

‘Haven’t taken it off since’: Top AFL draft prospect’s heartbreaking tribute to late mate

Bailey Humphrey

Sounds like he went through a fair bit last year with his best mate committing suicide. He sounds pretty level headed but has admitted to his own mental health struggles. Red flag? Or just par for course these days with everyone being a bit more open about this stuff. I would imagine the high pressure representative football would intensify any mental health struggles (same with a AFL environment). Especially after going through something like he did.
I'd see it as a plus that he is able to deal with it. Similar way that Jarrod Berry discussed his mother's death and how it impacted him. He went to Brisbane and has been a brilliant pick. It shows strength of character and resilience.

Good post, don't understand the negativity generally speaking. Though I wouldn't put the delisting of contracted players as a tick. It both indicates bad list management and potentially could impact on culture creating fractures particularly amongst fringe players. Would be hard to work in a place where your nervous about your job security and your contract is somewhat meaningless.
However, like all the other changes and even the exclaimation marks aren't too bad for the most part.

Every club makes wrong decisions. Bad list management is holding on too long.

As to creating issues amongst fringe players- that is hardly going to affect the main group, and neither is it a surprise to said fringe players

Some other posters have answered the questions raised about the coaching box changes (last season) & the search for a new footy boss. The club realises these things - WC are proud club & surely the post season indicates they're not sitting on their hands.

As to the CEO - I'd suggest that will come from outside & maybe not even from within football circles.

Changes are important- but too many changes at once can be counter-productive

Continuing the Star Wars theme - "have patience young padwan"

I think you need to give the fans some leeway with regards to expectations of patience and seemingly never being happy.

Personally, I've been seeking the club to drive professional standards, application and killer instinct since the team lost the home game to Hawthorn in round 23 of 2019, dropping the club out of the top four. A perfect learning opportunity of the importance of applying capable performance to every game. Instead, we got completely lacklustre efforts in 2020 whilst in the COVID hubs and then who the hell knows what was going on internally in the back half of 2021 when the effort of some players was just non-existent. The reward for this? Professional standards entrusted to the players hands in the off-season coming into the 2022 season, again not paying dividends.

Some of this sure, driven by the age profile of the list increasing and alot of bad luck with injuries but at the same time I think it'd be very hard to argue that some of the performances of the club across that 4 year period hasn't been affected by shortcomings in professional standards and application of a selection of the playing group.

With that said I do think this offseason to date has been the most promising in a long time and when combined with the addition of Knights and Schofield and the draft haul we landed in 2021 and look to potentially land in a few weeks, there's starting to be some things to be optimistic about at the club and I'm looking forward to what the 2023 season holds even if it's just the development of youth, attitude, and game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Gavin Bell the right fit for Football Manager? You seem to only hear from ROB - Bell is very quiet when compared to Vozzo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Totally agree with this! The good sides seem to have strong & visible footy managers & feel like Vozzo was certainly one of those. Think we need a stronger figure in this position. Nothing against Bell, I just concur with your comments, a quiet character etc. When atm we don't need meek & mild...

MOMENTUM BUILDING ON ALLAN

Rival clubs believe West Coast may pounce on strong-running midfielder Ed Allan with their first pick as other sides circle this year’s big draft bolter.

The Eagles – who hold picks 8, 12, 20 and 26 – have shown significant interest in the 194cm West Australian, who is the son of former Hawthorn and Fremantle player Ben.
But Carlton (pick 10) also likes the look of Allan, along with the likes of Melbourne (pick 13) and Sydney (pick 14).

Given the Blues’ interest, if the Eagles don’t take Allan at pick 8 he could be off the board by pick 12.

Allan has good size and speed and is a strong runner who was the quickest player over 20m at the national draft combine.

He played limited football this year due to a stress fracture in his back but starred in the five games he played late in the season for Claremont in the WAFL Colts.

West Coast has also been strongly linked to 196cm West Australian key defender Jedd Busslinger at pick 8 and are also believed to be considering South Australian midfielder-forward Mattaes Phillipou and Victorian midfielder Cameron Mackenzie.

From a herald sun article today. Honestly if we get spooked and take Allan at 8…don’t see it happen but lock him in at 13 🔒

Rival clubs believe West Coast may pounce on strong-running midfielder Ed Allan with their first pick as other sides circle this year’s big draft bolter.

The Eagles – who hold picks 8, 12, 20 and 26 – have shown significant interest in the 194cm West Australian, who is the son of former Hawthorn and Fremantle player Ben.
But Carlton (pick 10) also likes the look of Allan, along with the likes of Melbourne (pick 13) and Sydney (pick 14).

Given the Blues’ interest, if the Eagles don’t take Allan at pick 8 he could be off the board by pick 12.

Allan has good size and speed and is a strong runner who was the quickest player over 20m at the national draft combine.

He played limited football this year due to a stress fracture in his back but starred in the five games he played late in the season for Claremont in the WAFL Colts.

West Coast has also been strongly linked to 196cm West Australian key defender Jedd Busslinger at pick 8 and are also believed to be considering South Australian midfielder-forward Mattaes Phillipou and Victorian midfielder Cameron Mackenzie.

From a herald sun article today. Honestly if we get spooked and take Allan at 8…don’t see it happen but lock him in at 13 🔒
It sounds like the Herald Sun is trying to spook us so that we draft him early. I hope we don't take him with either of our first two picks.

I read that article as well. It was all over the shop

Spent several paragraphs about Carlton liking Hollands at 10 then says we might go Allan at 8 because Carlton are interested in Allan

Essendon said to be considering Tsatas, Ginbey Phillipou and even Hewett- same writer a day or two ago in a phantom draft didn’t even have Hewett taken in the first 25

Posters like WCE_phil and Monocle have regularly said how it’s an even draft and recruiters have been more reluctant than usual to reveal their hands leaving journos guessing

That said, I don’t want us to be taking Allan with either of our first two picks

Genuine question and happy to be told there are several good answers to my question: how many late-in-the-year “bolters” (according to the media) actually go top 10 / first round, and how many end up justifying that selection. Thinking of Humphrey and Allan (having seen neither play).

Genuine question and happy to be told there are several good answers to my question: how many late-in-the-year “bolters” (according to the media) actually go top 10 / first round, and how many end up justifying that selection. Thinking of Humphrey and Allan (having seen neither play).
I know Oliver was a bit of a draft bolter in his year. He turned out ok. Don't think Allan is in that league though. Humphrey maybe

Do you rate the HUN?

Dyson Heppell was a bolter in his draft year after not playing the U18s.

Also IIRC Taranto was a bolter being on the fringe of the top 10 until about a week out from the draft when Cal hinted that GWS were keen to take him very early.

Finally Cockatoo was expected to be available somewhere between 15-25, however, he had a great pre-GF game and then made a run up the board to pick 10 where Geelong selected him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back