List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Don’t think there’s much rehab you can do for an Achilles. Its rest. I’m sure he does his upper body weights but even that has to be limited as he’s strong and big enough. What’s he supposed to be doing? Moping around the club?

There is plenty you can do. Most such rehab programs will be targeting the calves to strengthen and ease load on the tendon.

Rest often makes it worse, as the underlying problem (usually strength imbalance of the lower leg muscles) isn't addressed and reinjury occurs on resumption of activities.

Things that worked best in my own case of dealing with such an injury were calf raises, heavy tension stationary bikework and weighted stair climbs.

Rucks do tend to slide

Grundy didn’t go until 18 in 2012

English was pick 19 in 2016

Naitanui and Jackson are the only other rucks taken in the first round and they are rather unique.

So every chance Edwards goes outside top 10
How many rucks do we need on our list? Not saying theyll all make it but its a huge investment

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many rucks do we need on our list? Not saying theyll all make it but its a huge investment
4-5, including tall fwds who can chop out a genuine #1 if we play a sole ruck. Ideally we play 1.5 ruckmen each week. A #1 ruck (Naitanui) and a hybrid fwd/ruck (B. Williams).

List sizes are 44ish so essentially another full 22 so double the on field numbers. If we punt on a long term rookie or injury cover for a year then that's the 5th.

Naitanui
B. Williams
Jamieson
Barnett
J. Williams

Seems enough however Naitanui is cooked, Jamieson is no good and J. Williams may never make it.
I think Barnett will be very good alongside B. Williams but we are still light on in the case of an injury. If I were our list management i'd rather not waste a high pick on another ruckman but if there was a chance for a tall fwd who can chop out the ruck for 20% of a game I would be happy with that.

This year there's a few options. Jordan Croft, Archer Reid or Coen Livingstone fit the bill and might be available at 36/38.
Assuming we lose Naitanui and Jamieson at the end of 2024 I'd also then grab a long termer #1 ruck in the rookie draft this year. We can get a bargain if we pull the trigger this year as there's quite a few options available compared to normal.

Getting two early picks (or potentially three with GWS) will require us trading our second rounder (19) too. Sucks but any deal wont be done without it.

People keep pointing to the offer Adelaide made to North for pick 1 (JHF) but North were hell bent on picking him and clubs will know we want to trade.

Big difference there imo. Either 1 and 19 for 2 and 3 (compo) (North) or 1 and 19 for GWS first, Richmond 1st and a potential first round compo pick too.

Then we don't trade. We don't have to accept

Still not sure on the obsession with rucks. Had we gotten a stop gap ruck for this year as many wanted it would've stifled Williams development this year (which has probably been the only positive at all)

BW and Jamo a year older, plus Barnett should be good for some games next year and NN still has a contract (though doubt he plays), that's plenty of rucks on the list for next year.

Last edited:
4-5, including tall fwds who can chop out a genuine #1 if we play a sole ruck. Ideally we play 1.5 ruckmen each week. A #1 ruck (Naitanui) and a hybrid fwd/ruck (B. Williams).

List sizes are 44ish so essentially another full 22 so double the on field numbers. If we punt on a long term rookie or injury cover for a year then that's the 5th.

Naitanui
B. Williams
Jamieson
Barnett
J. Williams

Seems enough however Naitanui is cooked, Jamieson is no good and J. Williams may never make it.
I think Barnett will be very good alongside B. Williams but we are still light on in the case of an injury. If I were our list management i'd rather not waste a high pick on another ruckman but if there was a chance for a tall fwd who can chop out the ruck for 20% of a game I would be happy with that.

This year there's a few options. Jordan Croft, Archer Reid or Coen Livingstone fit the bill and might be available at 36/38.
Assuming we lose Naitanui and Jamieson at the end of 2024 I'd also then grab a long termer #1 ruck in the rookie draft this year. We can get a bargain if we pull the trigger this year as there's quite a few options available compared to normal.

You will be happy to find out in some more brilliant list management Jamieson is signed until the end of 2025

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Depends a little/lot on the ND. Apparently stacked with rucks this year.

Ideally we can get one of them, would leave us with BW (#1 ruck), CJ (backup ruck), NN (if miracles happen), Barnett (young but season 2) and a draftee.

That should be plenty with the other proviso’s that we are definitely looking at English and we should also be looking at another tall key fwd (198+ ideally).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are you suggesting we draft a new ruck man and also trade in English so that we have 6 rucks on our list next season?

We need a capable 200 cm ruck / forward.

And a capable #1 ruck.

Bailey has improved massively this season. He was projected as a Fwd / Ruck but his marking and goal kicking is below average.

If Bailey is still with us this off season we need JK and Leca to provide support in a structured program for him, Jaimison and any other young forwards to improve their forward craft.

Goal kicking technique. Next season as a non negotiable Bailey should improve his marking and have a set shot routine he follows every time. Ben Brown run up.....JK shuffle........dont care. Its something that can be fixed and being taught by the best in the West has to bring some upside. Set shot routine every forward should have two nailed or improving.

Are you suggesting we draft a new ruck man and also trade in English so that we have 6 rucks on our list next season?

Well Nic is no long term solution.

Bailey has improved and could hold up.

Barnett is bottom age and a solid baby giraffe. Some projecting him as a Def / Ruck.

Then we have Jaimison and Jack Williams, Jack and Barnett similar ages.

Are we saying we dont have any ruck isses to address?

English replaces Nic.

We upgrade on one of Jaimison or J Williams with Livingston. Or Jaimison or Barnett play defense.

We'll get him and the attention will straight away be him being linked back to clubs. It'll be frustrating if we are this bad cause all the news involving us would be Reid being a trade target

Yup.

While our retention rate has been very good over the long haul it has been assisted IMO by being regular contenders, regularly competitive and being well run on and off field.

I’m not sure the situation in the 2020’s is the same.

Whole ship needs to be made ship shape.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a crack at Jordan Sweet 2 years ago. Big lump of a ruck that wins taps but struggles around the ground from reports. OOC and now I believe a UFA.

Still stuck behind English.
Matt Flynn is the big lump I'd want. Restricted Free Agent as well. Potentially behind Briggs and maybe Pruess, depending what they do with that walking injury

Todays dilemma do I get a massage first or a Bintang

Inspired Greys Anatomy GIF by ABC Network

Matt Flynn is the big lump I'd want. Restricted Free Agent as well. Potentially behind Briggs and maybe Pruess, depending what they do with that walking injury

The ruck merry go round.

Interesting how rucks seem to be fine moving around playing in different states. Because they take a while to develop value they often move and just know you have to go where the work is and the best dollars.

Will be interesting if any club chases Bailey after his improved season.

Natanui, Hurn and Shuey have all obviously been great players for us. But if they all go at the end of the year the one big benefit i see is that it might force a change in the mentality and denialism of the people running the club. When we get flogged by 60 - 100 points at the moment the thought process of Simpson and Nisbett is in effect that it doesn't really matter and it doesn't really count because this is just the B team and as soon as we get all of the A team back (i.e. the older injury plagued players) that will fix everything and it will all be OK. We need them to look at that squad of players we have minus all of the older players who will all be gone within a couple of years and realise that this is it. This is what we have and what they have to work with going forward. There is no A team coming in to rescue us and paper over all of the cracks and camouflage all of the bad decisions that have been made. The "It will all be OK once the A team is back" mentality needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back