Podcast CrowCast TNL Trade Week Wrap up Show tonight 8.45pm acst

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a struggle to get me onto mumble without fouling up the works--so I did not get a chance to see comments, wasn't ignoring you guys.

pjcrows No, we are a better team than the Vikings in my opinion. We don't even need great play from the midfield...okay play is probably good enough more often than not. To many disappearing acts the last couple weeks. I am not ready to panic yet, but top to bottom I think we are a much more talented team than Minnesota was in 2016.

dogs105 You know better than to ask about any players from ANY black and yellow team. ;)

It was a struggle to get me onto mumble without fouling up the works--so I did not get a chance to see comments, wasn't ignoring you guys.

pjcrows No, we are a better team than the Vikings in my opinion. We don't even need great play from the midfield...okay play is probably good enough more often than not. To many disappearing acts the last couple weeks. I am not ready to panic yet, but top to bottom I think we are a much more talented team than Minnesota was in 2016.

dogs105 You know better than to ask about any players from ANY black and yellow team. ;)
Big Ben doesn't like this :(

Just finished listening. Some tired rants against the selectors - "will be picked", "know he'll be picked". Hoping for some retractions and apologies.

Also, when I played under 10s, 32 years ago, bouncing was banned. And it's not because "some kids can't do it".

I agree with this. The "mums are ruining junior football" rubbish was wrong. It's still a one bounce limit up to under 10s in the league my son plays in, which makes perfect sense at an age where kids can't hold any sort of defensive structure and have undeveloped tackling techniques.

Some of the analysis was typically good. The observation about Matt Crouch running under the ball was interesting, and something I'll look out for. While I recognise it's a hard task to talk about the last two performances, I'd challenge you all to get through our next loss, whenever that is, without playing the Gibbs and Rockliff drinking game. They could have been part of our 2017, they may be part of our future one day, but as of Round 9, 2017 they are not part of the AFC and what they might bring to the table is about as relevant as Ricky Henderson kicking a goal for Hawthorn. The only thing that matters now is maximising where we get to by seasons end.

I agree with this. The "mums are ruining junior football" rubbish was wrong. It's still a one bounce limit up to under 10s in the league my son plays in, which makes perfect sense at an age where kids can't hold any sort of defensive structure and have undeveloped tackling techniques.

Some of the analysis was typically good. The observation about Matt Crouch running under the ball was interesting, and something I'll look out for. While I recognise it's a hard task to talk about the last two performances, I'd challenge you all to get through our next loss, whenever that is, without playing the Gibbs and Rockliff drinking game. They could have been part of our 2017, they may be part of our future one day, but as of Round 9, 2017 they are not part of the AFC and what they might bring to the table is about as relevant as Ricky Henderson kicking a goal for Hawthorn. The only thing that matters now is maximising where we get to by seasons end.
I'd love to have a discussion about the "mums are ruining junior football" statement. I'll admit it was a simplistic view, but we didn't really have time or inclination to flesh it out.

The bounce restrictions are there largely to stop physically developed kids, or those with far superior skill sets, from dominating the game and carrying the ball from one end to the other. That's a good thing. But many of the restrictions in place at junior level are silly. This is largely due to a desire to make the game compete at junior levels with soccer, because soccer is seen as less dangerous than football. And that fear is driven by mums, because I can guarantee you there's not many dad's out there who wouldn't allow their kids to play footy because it's "too rough".

In any case, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. In fact, I'd love people to get on and interact with us via chat or even Skype, particularly if they disagree. We do it live so people can interact, and we watch the chat closely and quote comments regularly for discussion. And, whilst I do hold my opinions on many things strongly, I'll happily admit that I'm far from always right :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to have a discussion about the "mums are ruining junior football" statement. I'll admit it was a simplistic view, but we didn't really have time or inclination to flesh it out.

The bounce restrictions are there largely to stop physically developed kids, or those with far superior skill sets, from dominating the game and carrying the ball from one end to the other. That's a good thing. But many of the restrictions in place at junior level are silly. This is largely due to a desire to make the game compete at junior levels with soccer, because soccer is seen as less dangerous than football. And that fear is driven by mums, because I can guarantee you there's not many dad's out there who wouldn't allow their kids to play footy because it's "too rough".

In any case, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. In fact, I'd love people to get on and interact with us via chat or even Skype, particularly if they disagree. We do it live so people can interact, and we watch the chat closely and quote comments regularly for discussion. And, whilst I do hold my opinions on many things strongly, I'll happily admit that I'm far from always right :)

Anecdotal evidence only, but the only 2 kids I know who've pulled out of footy because it's "too rough" were pushed pretty hard by their fathers to do so. One was a serious talent (state squad level) who was getting targeted off the ball every game, and one was king hit and suffered neck issues.

Maybe it makes a good discussion for an off season pod - what are reasonable rule modifications to make effective footy transition pathways from Auskick to senior footy.

Anecdotal evidence only, but the only 2 kids I know who've pulled out of footy because it's "too rough" were pushed pretty hard by their fathers to do so. One was a serious talent (state squad level) who was getting targeted off the ball every game, and one was king hit and suffered neck issues.

Maybe it makes a good discussion for an off season pod - what are reasonable rule modifications to make effective footy transition pathways from Auskick to senior footy.
I'd love to know what age group and league that was in. Those sort of issues have nothing to do with rule modification and far more to do with the league administration and umpiring. Unfortunately, with junior footy so underfunded, it relies on volunteers and sometimes that impacts the quality of the league/club.

It's be interesting to run a more general cast, discussing the broader football related issues. I've been thinking about doing a Wednesday night cast on that kind of stuff and a bit of supercoach, perhaps we might get something like that going after the bye, or next season.

Don't forget tonight, The Main Break half time show LIVE FROM ADELAIDE OVAL half time at the footy. If you're at the game and want to say g'day, watch this thread and I'll post where I will be at half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back