Review Dees v Orks in the Cold: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Godwin's presser was interesting and damning tbh.

How can a side trying to retain top spot be outworked, outplayed, outtackled, be nowhere near hungrier than the 17th placed team who has half a team out and literally has nothing to play for with a bunch of kids? And this ain't a one off. Third time this season we've lost to a club 14 places or more lower than us!!! That has never happened before!! The club hasn't shaken any mentally weak tag. 41-14 up at one stage last night. Against a team that got flogged by an ordinary Freo last week.

3-3-1 last 7 weeks. We are barely a middle of the road side now. Our game plan has been exposed. Our selfless style has become selfish again. Our F50 entries and goal kicking accuracy are STILL arguably bottom 4 levels of ineptness that hasn't improved one bit. We've also become dead boring to watch. I honestly don't know how we turn this around. We're too wobbly now. I still think we'll find a way to miss top 4. Based on our last couple of months, we dont deserve it anyway..

How can a side trying to retain top spot be outworked, outplayed, outtackled, be nowhere near hungrier than the 17th placed team who has half a team out and literally has nothing to play for with a bunch of kids? And this ain't a one off. Third time this season we've lost to a club 14 places or more lower than us!!! That has never happened before!! The club hasn't shaken any mentally weak tag. 41-14 up at one stage last night. Against a team that got flogged by an ordinary Freo last week.

3-3-1 last 7 weeks. We are barely a middle of the road side now. Our game plan has been exposed. Our selfless style has become selfish again. Our F50 entries and goal kicking accuracy are STILL arguably bottom 4 levels of ineptness that hasn't improved one bit. We've also become dead boring to watch. I honestly don't know how we turn this around. We're too wobbly now. I still think we'll find a way to miss top 4. Based on our last couple of months, we dont deserve it anyway..

I'll wait for us to play the Dogs and Cats before going Chernobyl. . Patience grasshopper, save the energy for then.

Forgot to look at my Melbourne "tell" that I raved on about last week, someone with a replay available to them tell me what Max tried to do at the opening bounce...im guessing it was an inward 1 and 1/2 pike into a tap behind his head going off how we played.

CD, let us not forget that there are no Mark Neeld-grade sides in the competition this year. No one has thrown in the towel. Even North are still busting a boiler. Hawks being 17th on the ladder in such a context means nothing. There are no easy games at all. That said, we need to improve not least in terms of aggression.

I am shocked to know Fritsch has kicked 35.16 for the year, which is a relatively healthy goals/points ratio. He seems to miss crucial set shots at critical times, sometimes putting them out on the full or inexplicably fails to make the distance. Very frustrating player who has some forward craft but too many flaws in his game. Still looks way too skinny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t you kill for a genuine KPF who could take a big pack mark? We bomb it long to packs nearly every inside 50 and at best bring it to ground.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How many key forwards in the comp actually do this? Desperately searching for one is trying to solve the wrong issue.

Haha * this board is fickle.

10 days ago it's "so proud of these blokes, what an effort to destroy port. Top 2 locked up"

Now it's "straight sets lolz this team is shithouse let's get clarko in"

Good: board melts
Good #2: not needing to play any of the bottom 4 in finals.

Bad: more lessons from goody. I think we now have the highest qualified playing group in the league. These guys have had more lessons than my first 3 years at uni. Someone give them their doctorates!

Ugly: Draws. Always been a waste of a result. They happen once a year, maybe twice. Just change it to 5 minutes each end or next score wins. Soccer can keep draws as that's part of their personality.

I'm not even slightly worked up over that result/manner of game as it was as predictable as the sun coming up. Hawks were always going to bounce back after the s**t they served last week. No crowds, no atmosphere and nothing to gain, was just such a Melbourne game to drop.

Can't wait to have another scrap next week on the gold coast, our new home ground for finals.

Should we make a serious play for Clarko? Showed his worth tonight. Totally outcoached Goodwin with a grossly undermanned and inexperienced side. I don't care if we're on top, I'd still make a huge play for Clarko. Still clearly the best in the comp..
If we don’t win a final Goodwin has to go and Clarkson is the best coach in the comp and available

Lol Clarkson has never shown an ability to galvanise a side into a premiership threat in 2 years.
Ross Lyon maybe, Clarkson hasn't actually shown he can take anyone but that specific Hawks list to a flag
You mean 4 flags having started from scratch

The truth is the scenery and the personnel and the ladder position may have changed, but the core DNA of the Melbourne Footy Club remains untouched. Mentally weak, flaky and fumbly when the whips start cracking in earnest.

Bite the bullet. Get Clarkson. Only bloke breathing in Australia with any hope of imposing a heart transplant on the joint.

The truth is the scenery and the personnel and the ladder position may have changed, but the core DNA of the Melbourne Footy Club remains untouched. Mentally weak, flaky and fumbly when the whips start cracking in earnest.

Bite the bullet. Get Clarkson. Only bloke breathing in Australia with any hope of imposing a heart transplant on the joint.
Why don't you post after wins 🙊

Ask yourself this question:
Would Oliver still be doing those stupid look-away and over-the-head handballs after six years under Clarkson?

Of course not.

That Goodwin hasn’t addressed this obvious flaw alone is enough reason to boot him out the door. It’s a disgrace.

Good
-petty having another good game, looks like he's growing in confidence. My heart sank when it looked like he did his hammy, stoked he came back out. Hope he's all good
-spargo again in the right spots, I wish he was a foot taller though he'd be a bonafide superstar
-lever minus the last couple minutes was solid

Bad
-viney doesn't add much to the midfield it seems; slow & poor disposal. Should only bring him in when it's pissing down and we expect a rugby game
-may was off, lost the ball in flight a few times
-easy set shot misses in the last when the game was on the line
-hunt going missing in the third
-trac missing for big chunks of the game

Ugly
-#freekickhawthorn, some of those gifts in the forward 50 were putrid.
-a draw, but if we played OT we would've lost I reckon

Just can't get a read on this team, it's a coin toss who's going to show up and how well we will play.

Ask yourself this question:
Would Oliver still be doing those stupid look-away and over-the-head handballs after six years under Clarkson?

Of course not.

That Goodwin hasn’t addressed this obvious flaw alone is enough reason to boot him out the door. It’s a disgrace.

Like it or not, the days of coaching hard are gone, this generation don't respond well to criticism, you've gotta handle them with kid gloves.

It's up to player on player feedback for the most to part to determine the fancy s**t needs to go.

Clarko as a motivator and innovator I think is far better than Goody, wanting him to coach them hard is for the wrong reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back