Review Dees v the Aints: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 15, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Weid might need another year to get a year in the gym before he can impose himself physically.
Yeah i get that he kicks bag in the 2s down at Casey Fields, but there is a world of difference between Casey and the G' in terms of pressure and pace or the game

Sorry to intrude but you guys need a better set up in the forward line. You don't have the ability to trap it in there and have no small forward who can capitalize when you do. That is a big difference from getting into the top 4 imo for you guys.
Hey mate thanks for the support.

We actually hadn't noticed that here, hadnt been mentioned in this forum. Cheers for the heads up.

Sorry to intrude but you guys need a better set up in the forward line. You don't have the ability to trap it in there and have no small forward who can capitalize when you do. That is a big difference from getting into the top 4 imo for you guys.
We have one of those small forwards who kicks 35 goals a year but we play him in the VFL instead.

Another thought. How much profit could have been made by putting $100 on the opposition every time Melbourne started favourites in say the last three years. Could be better than working for a living.

The Saints paying $7 for the win was like Sportsbet giving away free money.

The Saints paying $7 for the win was like Sportsbet giving away free money.

Best I could manage was tipping them and getting 1 up on basically everyone else...:(

Oh yeah.

It was as high at times as it was long.

And other times it was as long as it was high.

Good: Gawn. BOG by a mile, if he doesn't get 3 Brownlow votes from today then it's a travesty. Viney's last quarter. Fritsch having a another very good game, albeit from only 10 disposals.

Bad: Midfield turnovers, in particular the 2nd quarter. Gus' kicking went to rubbish about then. Obviously said by everyone but the blazing away from the middle where the Saints had a +1. In general play we often had 3 players going for the man with the ball, leaving 2 extra players ahead of the ball - this created many of the Saints' attacking forays. We had some horrible bounces.

Fugly: Our defence. Felt like we didn't win a 1 on 1 all game. We saw 2016 version of Oscar today and it cost us the match. Unfortunately having Petty on the field felt like we were playing with 17 on the field. Feels wrong to say this but we would have got a lot more having Wagner on the park. Wagner. Oh and Troy Pannell. He was ******* horrible last week in the WCE v. Essendon game, so they give him to us.

Also - that I had visitors for 3 quarters of the game so I had to be polite and watch on mute instead of venting...

how long will this club continue to accept being a joke? 1 year? 10 year? forever? Losing is engrained into the walls of our club.
There's no end date, it's a continuous rolling agreement, like Brendan Bolton at Carlton.

This is it for me, I'm cancelling my membership first thing tomorrow. it's time to do something different with my weekends.
I've already cancelled for this season because I'm moving to Hobart soon. Not regretting it right now...

im not saying Petty is worse than Tom Gilles, but he's in the conversation. Never again.

Tyson, **** off.

Joel Smith, likewise.

Petracca, overrated pile of s**t.

Hogan, can **** off back to WA.

Gawn, please don't waste your career at our pile of s**t.

Goodwin, you are the most uninspiring human being on this earth.
Tough, but fair.

Completely out coached. Horrible forward set up, no ability to free up our forwards and no ability to stop transition. Literally felt like stkilda were able to score whenever they ******* felt like it. Like as soon as they cleared put press it was a score. We have completely the wrong team for modern footy.

Tyson, Weid, Lewis and Salem are lucky to be in the side. I ******* hate legspeed in the modern game but even im done. Garlett Frost Spargo and Hunt for those 4 make a huge difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally felt like stkilda were able to score whenever they ******* felt like it. Like as soon as they cleared put press it was a score. We have completely the wrong team for modern footy.
This. St Kilda have averaged 68 points per game up until this round. Against us they almost double their average - that really speaks volumes...

We just can’t get our s**t together at each end of the ground and we’re getting smashed on transition with the oppo slicing through a one paced midfield. Relegating one of our best players in Viney to a tagging role for more than half the match doesn’t help. Nor does picking nine players over 188cm. We are leaving crumbers out of the side and replacing them with talls and turtles.

Lever going down isn’t the only issue we’ve got but we’ve looked hapless at the back ever since. It’s a msssive problem best illustrated by the fact we’re turning to a first gamer in Petty who was clearly out his depth and not ready for selection. Frost will be the last roll of the dice. Performing well at Casey and can’t get a look in but the situation is now desperate.

I’d be happy seeing wholesale changes this week. The team needs a shake up badly.

I did noticed in the 3rd we bombed it into our forward line the saints cleared it so easily and about 6 players showed no desire to even start to move back.
Yeah they ran in waves and got numbers to contests far more often than us, particularly in the 3rd as you said when they got a real sniff of victory. Lead to 1 on 1 and 2 on 1 situatioms in the saints F50 which gave them easy goals.

We gave so many easy goals as well. The one where it was our free kick, took advantage and Tyson decided to not go for the mark at half back leading directly to a saints goal. And 3 goals they got from 50m penalties I think. It just screams that we were not switched on.

Last quarter we decide "oh s**t we better start playing like a football team here" and we got some run and carry going (Harmes and Viney were particularly good) but do it from the start of the game ffs!

That 10m protective zones is a joke and the umpires know it to. What was melksham suppose to do in that situation? Just let the saints player run into space freely. I'm not even sure what scenario caused the lawmakers to bring that rule in. It's a blight on the game. I'm not blaming the umpire they're doing the job, the umpires shouldn't have to justify the rule.

Yeah they ran in waves and got numbers to contests far more often than us, particularly in the 3rd as you said when they got a real sniff of victory. Lead to 1 on 1 and 2 on 1 situatioms in the saints F50 which gave them easy goals.

We gave so many easy goals as well. The one where it was our free kick, took advantage and Tyson decided to not go for the mark at half back leading directly to a saints goal. And 3 goals they got from 50m penalties I think. It just screams that we were not switched on.

Last quarter we decide "oh s**t we better start playing like a football team here" and we got some run and carry going (Harmes and Viney were particularly good) but do it from the start of the game ffs!
Yeah we weren't switched on, that goal they kicked where a player was having a set shot but then just handpassed it to the running saints player who goaled pretty much summed it up. Also that situation where mccartin had a set shot but just passed it to savage who was free for god knows how long, luckily he missed. Also the ease they had with kick ins, at one point they had 3 saint players in space against one dee, how does that happen. I guess at the end of the day they worked harder and beat us on the spread. It's the same thing bulldogs did to geelong. We struggled at the g because teams just know how to use that space against us. I also think the players thought this game was in the bag. Just show ponyning around all day.

yeah we all know this is a problem for us. can you please email Goodwin and let him know because he cant seem to work it out.

Just wanted to address something I noticed in the GDT thread.

Now I don't think umpiring ever costs a team the game, but it can be super frustrating. I'm not looking to start this debate again but I think in the heat of the moment when the game is in progress and we're playing like s**t it doesn't help anyone to sit there potting people for criticizing the umpires. If you disagree with it like me thats fine, but don't sit there quoting people and just further escalating the situation. It derails the thread and doesn't make for good reading at all, people are allowed to be emotional during the game especially when we're playing that poorly. If we still have campaigners crying about the umpires a week after the game I agree tell them to shut up, but leave it during the game.

Good : Gawn, Viney. Kicking the last 3 goals while making it even more frustrating when you lose by 2 points is better than giving up like we’ve done in the past. We don’t play at the G next week.

Bad : Petty not ready. Frost surely gets his chance next week. Pedo played in defence for Casey yesterday. If that fails we have to put TMac back there. No crumbers again.

Ugly : Giving Lynden Dunn away for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back