Autopsy Devastating loss to the Giants by 1

Remove this Banner Ad

People said the same old s**t after the Suns loss last year.

"Season over"
"Sack Horse"
"Pea hearts"
"No effort"
"Drop Lloyd and Rampe"
"We won't play finals"
Exact same rhetoric when we lost the Essendon game last year too before we went on our run to the GF.

Kane Cornes has (unsurprisingly) put the boot in.

But he does have one fair point - we bombed to Buddy 13 times. Next most used target was Logan at 4. Papley, Hayward, Heeney, Sheldrick basically never got targeted. McLean was either off the ground or rucking.

We had become hard to play against. Now, with our weak defence and predictable attack, we’re the opposite.

I hate it when I agree with Cornes.
I’m probably in the minority but I like Cornes. Don’t always fully agree with every perspective but he has a basis to his thinking and often sheds new light on issues.

Also very concerning that we reverted to bombing to Buddy again.

I’m probably in the minority but I like Cornes. Don’t always fully agree with every perspective but he has a basis to his thinking and often sheds new light on issues.

Also very concerning that we reverted to bombing to Buddy again.
Amazing seeing he hadn't been there for 3 weeks

it's simple we led by 4 goals late

they s**t the bed , break it down how you want , age profiles , injury, effort

It was a junk loss against a crap side

all they can do is move on, but trying to spin it is a waste of time

is that a melt? so be it , the side is under performing
Leads change all the time in a game of footy. It’s who’s ahead when the final siren blows that matters.

Last year, we held on in a Prelim to make a GF but I have no doubt if the siren went a minute later we would have lost.

Let’s be honest, if we take our Swans goggles off and ask, in terms of just reward for each team’s skill, performance and effort yesterday, the correct answer is a draw would have been the most representative outcome.

Has to get the ball first.

In the VFL his first three games were in the forward line with 6/8/8 disposals, no more than 2 marks and no goals.

His last game was his best, playing in the backline where he had 15 disposals.

Frankly, I am somewhat surprise he debuted.
I think Sheather's selection was an attempt to create some list integrity & send a message to out of form players like McInerny that their selection every week won't be guaranteed with out good form, as it has been for the last season.
More about those getting games week in week out without pressure rather than the inclusion itself.
It could have been a number of player & Sheatner cwas 'lucky' enough to be the chosen one.

Dropped our bundle mentally and physically this year. There is no world where we win the GF in 2023. Let’s take the time to sort ourselves out with the sports psych but also with list management. We need to be brutal here. As painful as it is, we need to trade out some players whilst they still have trade capital , assuming of course there is available talent to bring in. I saw a list with Himmelburg, Parish, etc, we need a balance of proven players not just youngsters - hope is not a strategy.

I would advocate through a combination of trading players out / retirement etc we should turnover about 10 players from this list:
  • Paddy (only because of risk to his health)
  • Clarke
  • Cunningham
  • Maclean
  • Rampe (retirement)
  • Reid (retirement)
  • Buddy (retirement)
  • Rowbottom (will never be midfield bull)
  • 1 winger - Jmac or Stephens
  • Florent (has peaked)
  • Heeney ( only if he is really close to retirement due to a debilitating injury as someone has said, if he is ok injury wise then he MUST Stay)
  • Hickey (retirement)
  • Parker I would keep but only if he plays forward, a good mark and excellent kick for goal.

If I list any more the mods will ban me.

Also, I’d like to see the new talent given a run in their proper position. Ridiculous coaching to debut them as a forward when they’re a mid then drop them for not performing. Give them a go FFS, eg we saw Roberts rapidly improve before injury.

Let’s sort ourselves so we’re right for next year, would rather we prioritise building to a flag rather than keeping membership happy by ‘making the 8’ but not contending.

Have at it.
Well we could certainly hold onto our title of youngest team in the comp if we went down this route.

We played some pretty good footy last year. I’d give a bit of time for players to return from injury and build some confidence and form before marking any papers. I’m not predicting any strong finals push this year, but I think we will be playing well again by end of year.

I think Sheather's selection was an attempt to create some list integrity & send a message to out of form players like McInerny that their selection every week won't be guaranteed with out good form, as it has been for the last season.
More about those getting games week in week out without pressure rather than the inclusion itself.
It could have been a number of player & Sheatner cwas 'lucky' enough to be the chosen one.
Imo horse scapegoats abit also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk of effort doesn't sit well with me. You know how judges themselves on effort? s**t teams. s**t teams who know they don't have the talent and ability to compete so all they have is to try their hardest.

This club qualified for a grand final last year( didn't play) and now we are hanging our hat on effort? Give me a spell.

The club has performed on and off the field like pure dog s**t since half time or the prelim.

They were lucky to scrape past the pies, got humiliated in the gf, did nothing over the trade period, kinnear and co trying to hard to play silly buggers on draft night rather than actually make solid selections and then turn up this year and dish up the s**t they have been.

Effort ...please
Ignore last year, just focus on this year.

Is there anything to show that we aren't s**t?

I'm disappointed this year, but fact of the matter is that we aren't any good right now, so yes, we have to rate our performances on effort.

it's simple we led by 4 goals late

they s**t the bed , break it down how you want , age profiles , injury, effort

It was a junk loss against a crap side

all they can do is move on, but trying to spin it is a waste of time

is that a melt? so be it , the side is under performing
Nah that's not a melt, that's a fair analysis of what happened. I don't think anyone is saying anything different. Saying "disappointing loss but there were some good signs" isn't spin. It's also fair analysis.

When it becomes a melt is when people follow it up by saying we need to drop 5 regulars, sack the coach, the players don't care and we're a bottom 4 lock.

Nah that's not a melt, that's a fair analysis of what happened. I don't think anyone is saying anything different. Saying "disappointing loss but there were some good signs" isn't spin. It's also fair analysis.

When it becomes a melt is when people follow it up by saying we need to drop 5 regulars, sack the coach, the players don't care and we're a bottom 4 lock.
That won't be far away. When we lose to freo at home in 2 weeks, that's what we will get

That won't be far away. When we lose to freo at home in 2 weeks, that's what we will get

I think yesterday was probably a turning point in expectations for the year

Leads change all the time in a game of footy. It’s who’s ahead when the final siren blows that matters.

Last year, we held on in a Prelim to make a GF but I have no doubt if the siren went a minute later we would have lost.

Let’s be honest, if we take our Swans goggles off and ask, in terms of just reward for each team’s skill, performance and effort yesterday, the correct answer is a draw would have been the most representative outcome.

In these close ones (haven't got stats to support this) we used to bottle up and create stoppages , now that has become harder, they call HTB more quickly.

Perhaps losing or getting into close jams like the prelim happens more these days as we haven't adapted

or perhaps that's a pile of crap 🤣

I just think we all have weird expectations on the club. No one cares about last year.

As it stands we have holes in every part of the field, are relying on too many old blokes, and have massive cracks in our gameplan.
We've shown the inability to put teams away, and the inability to stop teams putting us away.

There has been nothing in our performances (I think Richmond, GCS, and Hawthorn are all bottom 6 quality) that has suggested that we are any good.

Imo, I'm going into the rest of the season expecting loss and hoping for improvement.
(am I upset with the club? Yes, but I'll save that for the end of the year)

Not that amazing considering he was our most dangerous forward and the only one getting any separation, for better or worse.
I have a slightly different view.

If we went to Heeney 13 times, instead of Buddy, we’d all be thinking Heeney was our most dangerous forward.

Buddy went OK yesterday- but what is the opportunity cost? Which is to say - would we be better if we didn’t go to Buddy?

Kane Cornes certainly thinks so. And for once, I (begrudgingly) agree.

I actually thought our three talls were all awesome yesterday.

Buddy was taking contested marks, being physical but in a really positive way, set up some good opportunities.

McDonald was an absolute workhorse, up and down, up and down the ground, winning his own ball, and his goal from outside 50 was sublime.

McLean was also a workhorse, even helping out in defence, while his creating contests inside 50 was crucial. His one on one mark and goal was just awesome.

And we once again clock over 100 points with the latter two. I'm telling yas, it's a thing.

Unfortunately the folks further up the ground didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back