Preview Did we miss something?

Remove this Banner Ad

With the less than celebrated membership slogan being launched today, was the message in amongst the image lost?

Is it indeed a message, or just a coincidence that Rough is central to this piece of marketing?

Would the club use a player with a cloud over his health in such a way if he was set to miss most of the year?

First Gunston makes an off the cuff suggestion to media that he's hoping Rough runs out in Round 1 and now the club issue an image with Rough as a key figure.

Are they sowing the seeds of an imminent return of the great man?
Are they hinting at something?

Or was the imagery just a nice coincidental shot that embodied the 'togetherness' and 'team' that the slogan is pushing.

I'm interested to read people's thoughts.

I really hope Hawthorn doesn't use Roughs health as a sob story or to use it as a marketing thing about how "as a team we can get over anything". It would be really insensitive.
I absolutely adore Rough and wholeheartedly hope he plays again, but i'm a bit over people saying how excited they are to see him play again round 1. I understand that you want to be positive but his health is so much more important. If that means he can't play again, i'll be extremely upset but so be it.

I really hope Hawthorn doesn't use Roughs health as a sob story or to use it as a marketing thing about how "as a team we can get over anything". It would be really insensitive.
I absolutely adore Rough and wholeheartedly hope he plays again, but i'm a bit over people saying how excited they are to see him play again round 1. I understand that you want to be positive but his health is so much more important. If that means he can't play again, i'll be extremely upset but so be it.
I don't think anyone is putting Roughy playing ahead of Roughy healthy.
If Roughy returns it means he is healthy and able to keep doing what he loves which is the best possible outcome.
The question is are we reading too much into this because we hope for the best. I don't think the club would use it as a marketing grab bit they could just being doing business as usual

Would be amazing if it happens! The big fella, even with a year out of footy, would give us a massive lift with his ability and presence.

We'd be close to unbeatable round 1 if he played.
I'm a bit in the Sam Newman camp in that I have always believed that if you need some 'motivation' to play above yourself, you are indeed not motivated any other week and need to get your s**t together. My other concern is, as always, the emotion can totally distract from the focus of the role being played.

That said, nothing makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up more than the thought of the big Rough returning to the field fit and well as a supporter.

Can you imagine how tall his team mates would be running on top of the ground?

I didnt see rough in the article or singled out in the video, just an image of a group hug of players with has back showing. Not a huge significance id have thought, but all the noise is that round 1 is on the cards

I didnt see rough in the article or singled out in the video, just an image of a group hug of players with has back showing. Not a huge significance id have thought, but all the noise is that round 1 is on the cards
The image is this one, which the club asked members to upload simultaneously.

image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Btw that photo is from when we beat Sydney in the GF
Nah dude. GF Guernseys have an enlarged AFL logo that say Grand Final 20xx on it.

The image has to be from 2013 any game bar the GF as the logo is red not gold.
351472-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Nah dude. GF Guernseys have an enlarged AFL logo that say Grand Final 20xx on it.

I have a 2012 Max Bailey Grand Final guernsey that he didn't get selected for and we did not get over the line for that I would have loved to bookend.

They are the same.

The image is this one, which the club asked members to upload simultaneously.

View attachment 307164

I think the image has been used because you can't see any players face. It's not about the individual it's about the team. Great shot, just happens to have Rough in it, I don't think they went through on purpose to find an image of Rough being a central figure.

Hope he plays in 2017, but more just hoping he gets the all clear.

Reading too much into it. It's a good on point photo without Mitchell, Lewis or Hill. Probably not a lot to choose from.

If this is about Rough wouldn't it be #StrongasTwo?

The last interview I read from the big fella himself he said he was in treatment until mid-2017. As a result - I'm not expecting him back until 2018.

Glad he's still part of our marketing though - it shows he's still a big part of our club even if he's not taking the field.

If this is about Rough wouldn't it be #StrongasTwo?

The last interview I read from the big fella himself he said he was in treatment until mid-2017. As a result - I'm not expecting him back until 2018.

Glad he's still part of our marketing though - it shows he's still a big part of our club even if he's not taking the field.
The only Rough based theory I have is that we are considering him as Captain. But to be honest I'd be surprised if he'd want it at the moment.

He would be a phenomenal captain, health permitting.

But yeah. It's a weird thing the whole prioritising his health over playing. It's a no-brainer but remember what Rough himself is saying - he wants to get back out there and kick some Hanner-butt

I know it's punky stratts rough and gunners the other looks like Doc to me. I know it can't be gf based on the logo and looks like it needs to be 2013 hmmmm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back