Does Nick's future need to be discussed?

What do we think?

• His current form warrants the media speculation.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • The speculation is over the top, surely a champion deserves an off night without comment

Votes: 39 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much damage was done in round 1 mate?

He was peak Roo before that. Sad.

He had no suspension in the knee before then, plus the bone bruising on top. I actually once had bone bruising in my knee and it never really came good playing footy. They say rest but as soon as you land wrong the pain returns. Physically Roo is done.

Here's Chris Judds view - and I've got to say it's a much better interpretation than most stuff posted in the media.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...nick-riewoldt-to-play-on-20170724-gxhe2k.html

"What Federer has shown is that if the champion athlete still has a genuine belief in their own ability, and they're prepared to manage their physical load, you must be very brave to bet against them."
Surely Judd isn't so long out of the game that he's forgotten his own demise.

Genuine belief and delusion are very different things.

Sadly, even with his current form, he isn't keeping anyone out of the team that deserves to be getting a game.

The more games you get into Marshall, battle and mccartin the better, you need to get them to hit the 50 game mark as quickly as possible. We probably won't make finals this year and the next, you are robbing the future for getting experience,

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The more games you get into Marshall, battle and mccartin the better, you need to get them to hit the 50 game mark as quickly as possible. We probably won't make finals this year and the next, you are robbing the future of getting experience.

His knee is f;:k'd, if he didn't get amazing medical treatment he would have retired years ago...

The thing is every year new stars get drafted they are young and fast and when your well over 30 you are not going to get any better only slower.
He is still in our best 22, but I would like to remember him as a champion , not an old football trying to get a kick against young kids , this why this should be his last year - beaten by a rookie last week.

But hope he plays and has a ripper this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was made aware of a rumour yesterday from a north Melbourne board member that there would be a press conference next week regarding Roo.... **** knows if this is reliable

Still don't agree with this, 3 weeks ago he torched Alex Rance, 2 poor games later he is
He certainly did torch Rance....was magic to watch.

As sensational as that win was both Rooey and Joey played out of their skins and I'm absolutely sure it was for Maddie.

The whole team played out of their skins....imagine the emotional build up that week around the club for the game.

My biggest fear was that due to the above........would we return to average the next week.....yep.

I guess it's one of sports great mysteries.....how an out of the box performance like that can occur for one week....showing they can do it....but failing to resemble anything like that afterwards.

Let me ask you this then, are there 22 better players at our club currently then Nick?

Brent harvey was in the same situation, but even better physically. There is no mid or long term benefit to playing another year, the team is a fair way off being in contention for the flag. What will it do for battle, mccartin and marshall? It's not like he's in career best form, and unfortunately his body is shot (probably has a fair bit to do with that). I think it's a pretty clear cut decision if you take emotion out of it. Sensational innings though.

The key to this is Nick's knee. If the medicos think that after the summer break he can come back with little or no discomfort then I'm all for him playing on.

On a wing he has clean hands and is a great link-man. He is a target from the kick-ins and can drift forward and kick goals. Very hard to match up on and gives us a significant advantage. The leadership he provides both on and off the ground is outstanding. What's the worst that can happen? If he is forced to retire mid-season then we are one down just like we are this season due to Dempster's retirement. Who would he keep out of the side? Impossible to say. There are always injuries and players come in and go out due to form, fitness and match-ups.

The problem this year is that he has been forced to play as a key forward after reducing his bulk and training to play midfield. With the injury to McCartin and Membrey's suspension without Nick we would have gone in with Bruce, Battle and Marshall.

If his knee is cactus then it is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back